NVGD: Japanese Vintage...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by RhinestoneStrat, May 28, 2020.

1. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Active Member

I just picked up this gem of a guitar on Sunday at a pawn shop. It is an El Degas Studio guitar made in Japan. I read that these guitars were made from 1979 to the early 80's and were exclusive to the Canadian market making these a bit of a rarity down in the U.S. & elsewhere. There's no serial # on mine so I assume it could date back to '79 since the early ones were made in Japan and the later ones were made in Korea. I got a good deal and paid straight up $250 CDN (no tax) which I think is a steal.

The scale length of this guitar is 25 1/4"...longer than a Gibson or PRS but just short of a Fender scale length. The body looks like oak with a rosewood center stripe with I believe ash or pine for the lighter stripes. The neck is maple with a rosewood fret board.

The pick ups in this guitar sound simply amazing! They cut through the mix and I've had a friend say that the pick ups sound great. He was impressed. They are like very hot PAFs. I like the creme colour of the pups with the black pick up rings...sort of goes with the theme of the guitar.

I really love the bridge with the brass saddles. It is a string-thru-body design like a Telecaster guitar. I find the guitar has great sustain and the body shape is one of the most comfortable designs I've ever played. Overall I'm very happy with this vintage axe. I haven't had time to change the strings on this guitar because every time I pick it up I just want to play it. It may be my new #1.;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Udonitron and Logan like this.
  2. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

It is a beauty

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Hippie sandwich bobby weir here we come!

I love these kinda guitars.

4. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Very cool, Congrats! definitely has the 70's vibe going with the natural wood and stripes look.