NVSGJrD!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Gahr, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Yes, New Vintage SG Junior Day!

It arrived this evening, and I have not played it through an amp yet. The kids are about to go to bed, so that will have to wait until tomorrow. But here are my thoughts so far:

It is a very, VERY cool guitar. It is definitely worn, with tons of mojo. Cool checking of the lacquer and the usual battle scars, except there's no buckle rash whatsoever. The damage around the jack has not been particularly nicely repaired, but it doesn't bother me at all; it is kind of in keeping with the rest of the guitar, and it doesn't affect the playability. It seems like whoever has owned the guitar in the past has loved it enough to play it a lot.

The fretboard is really dark, probably Braz rosewood. Very nice and smooth. Frets are worn in some places, but there is no buzz. The neck is a bit narrower and thicker than on my Derek Trucks (which I guess is as expected on a 1965 SG), but nowhere near as fat as on my 1975 SG-II. The nut is quite worn, but there's no fret buzz on the open strings, so it's all good.

I have only adjusted the bridge height a little bit (for the sake of looks I put on a replacement as soon as I got it), haven't touched the truss rod, but the action is nice and low. And to my amazement, the intonation seems to be spot on, without me as much as touching the intonation screws on the new (aged) CrazyParts compensated wraparound bridge. I found a used short Gibson Vibrola for sale a few days ago. The guitar was missing the arm, and came with an "armless" Vibrola comb, so I put the new comb and arm on it. I was really lucky there; it is the first time ever I have seen a short Vibrola for sale in Norway at all.

I put on some reflector knobs (it came with unoriginal black bell knobs) for authenticity.

The only thing that disappointed me slightly was that I couldn't swap out the Schaller tuners for the Three-a-side Kluson repos I had bought. The tuner holes have been reamed out slightly to fit the Schallers, and this has made the holes a tiny bit too wide for the Kluson bushings to fit. Again, it doesn't affect the playability at all. Maybe I'll do something about it in the future, we'll see. I'll leave them for now.

Considering I got it for about half of what a pristine example could be sold for, I think it was a good deal. I sold off a couple of SGs and a heap of pedals, hardware, some guitar stands and other bits and bobs. Even the wife was happy, since I cleared out a lot of stuff that was taking up space in the living room.

All in all, so far, certainly very good. I can't wait for tomorrow when I can fire it up through the 1959 GA-20T Ranger! And since the guitar is a '65 model, naturally it needs to be test driven through the 1965 Skylark as well.

Here are a couple of quick photos. I'll snap a few more tomorrow when the light is better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drawde, DrBGood, Worblehat and 10 others like this.
  2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Beautiful junior right there. BTW, you can buy conversion bushings to fit the vintage-style tuners. I've done this a couple of times and they work great.

syscokid and Gahr like this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Thanks! And thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely look into that! You don’t have any links, do you?

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Never mind the link, I found some conversion bushings locally. Thanks again for the tip, though.

bwotw likes this.
  5. Raymond Eriksen

Raymond Eriksen Active Member

Nice one! Any soundcheck yet?:D

(Keeping your better half happy by selling guitar stuff, before buying more expensive and droolworthy guitar stuff, just shows us how far we have come in 2018:D)

Gahr likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I just checked that is actually works this morning (it does!) but I'll have to wait until later today to actually play it. But the few tones I had time to squeeze out of it sounded nice indeed.:dude:

Raymond Eriksen likes this.
  7. Raymond Eriksen

Raymond Eriksen Active Member

Wooohoo!!! There goes the neighborhood!:D

Gahr likes this.
  8. fos1

fos1 New Member

Very nice! You can tell it is a player. Imagine the stories it could tell.

Jeff

PS. Nice library in the background. My wife and I are book lovers. We resorted to Kindles several years ago so our books wouldn't outgrow our house.

Gahr and Raymond Eriksen like this.
  9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Haha, both my wife and I have Kindles, for the same reason as you, but there are just too many nice books that are either not available for Kindle or full of pics that don’t work well with our Kindles, so they tend to pile up anyway...

10. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

That's great, let us know if they work ok!

For anyone wondering these are bushings that cover the usual 10mm hole of Grover style tuners and allow you to fit the vintage style (closer to 9mm).

This is a regular USA Flying V that had the modern Gibson tuners (also 10mm). Once the bushings were in, it allowed me to install the slimmer TonePros vintage Kluson repros, which look and work great

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wildeman and Gahr like this.
  11. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

A week in, how is it coming along? Has it become your favourite SG yet?

12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

It is coming along very nicely, thanks! Whether it will be my favorite or not is not yet clear, but it has definitely been the guitar I have played the most since I got it. It sounds GREAT through the GA-20 and I love the action and worn frets. What i have definitely learned (well, I really knew it already) is that I prefer the wider, lower frets to higher, narrower ones. I'm definitely going to have my goldtop Les Paul refretted in the not too distant future.

The only problem at the moment is that the bursitis I had in my left shoulder in the spring seems to have come back, so playing is quite painful at the moment, and I can only do it for short periods at a time.

But, yeah, I love the guitar!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Drawde, Bettyboo and Raymond Eriksen like this.
  13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Great to hear. The juniors are kinda best of both worlds in so much as you get a vintage guitar with the vibe and feel, but at reasonable money so they are players.

Sorry about the shoulder.

Lastly, that stout does look good!

Gahr likes this.
  14. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Thanks, Betty.

As a matter of fact, it's not a stout but an old ale. This one is from the first year of production at the brewery. Old amp (1959), old guitar (1965), old ale (2014).:D But yeah, it is pretty good, even if I say so myself. It is actually one of my old homebrew recipes that I have been brewing as a Christmas beer for myself for about 20 years.

15. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Great guitar congrats.

Gahr likes this.
  16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That's a looker ! Congrats !

Gahr likes this.
  17. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Just a quick shot of the whole guitar after all the pieces I wanted to change are in place. Here you see the damage around the jack pretty well. The color is a bit darker than the pic, really. It looks like a guitar that has LIVED. I wish I could get in touch with the previous owner(s), just to learn a bit about its story. This is definitely a keeper.

[​IMG]

18. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

OK, now you can stop torturing us :rofl:

Kidding, keep showing.
    Now I want to see her behind ...

BTW, if there are areas that you find could get a little attention colorwise, get a red Sharpie Sharpie.jpg and touch up those offending spots. It would probably help lessen the jack area damage. It's transparent, so it doesn't block anything. Damage will just show a little less. It really does wonders on those Cherry guitars we like so much.

Try it on a smaller spot, like on the scratch at the bottom as I did here.

Like so

color.jpg

Once you get going, you'll want to do every other little bobo ;)

Gahr likes this.
  19. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

I love it, i have a '61 but mine hasn't fared as well as yours. Its still a killer though.

Gahr likes this.
  20. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

We want pics! Mine is fairly banged up, so I wonder what yours is like!