OH, NO! Not another Javamagic build?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by javamagic, Dec 6, 2014.

1. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm afraid it's true. Having only just about finished four projects (Count 'em: two Rick types, a Coronet, and a Newport bass) I'm now embarking on another one.

Essentially this one is the same as my Rick builds - a Capri 360 style in fact - with the main difference being that this one's a 12-string, a commission for a friend of a friend. :fingersx:

I managed to pick up some birdseye maple the other week and, as it was bright and dry today, I managed to get the Workmate out of the shed and prepare it. Luckily for me it was already planed on one face so I just had to clean it up with the jack plane and rough saw the shape on the scroll saw.

[​IMG]

I already had the piece of walnut for the centre strip and so, after rough shaping that too, I stacked the pieces and installed the locating pins (actually 3mm drill bits) to keep the pieces in line while gluing and cramping.

[​IMG]

A quick mix of some PRG (my preferred glue for this stage of a build) and the application of a few cramps has left me with this to set overnight.

[​IMG]

Maybe if it's dry again tomorrow I can make some more progress. I'll keep you informed. :thumb:

Bettyboo, Biddlin and Alex_SG like this.
  2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Where's the popcorn? I love watching your builds, Brian! :cheers:

[​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOOHOO another MAGIC build thread.....my lack of lutherian skills will be once again paraded out and smacked over my head (that would be my Hollow Head Bone for those "in the know")
    So where was I? Oh yes WOOHOOOOOOOO another Magic Build of epic gorgeousness.

Can't wait to see this one!!!

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

A 12 String to boot .

5. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Cool! Can't wait to see more.

:applause:

6. javamagic

It's been a fairly productive week for the guitar build - largely due to not having any paying work! :(
    Anyway, I managed to get to the local hardwood supplier and bought the maple for the body (a metre long 50x200 piece) and some curly maple for the back (a 25x200 piece to be split down for bookmatching).

A trip to my friendly joinery got the big bit cleaned up and I glued it into one big slab with PRG and a few biscuits. I then had it sanded to the correct thickness at another joinery before screwing the template to it and roughing out the shape with the router. It's a pain not having a bandsaw!

[​IMG]

The edges will get sanded on a drum in the pillar drill. This is the top.

[​IMG]

The pillar drill was used to cut the catseye. I worked out the trick of using it as a pin router when I made my own Capri. ;)

[​IMG]

That's where the body stands at present. Once I get the edges sanded I will drill and rout out the back. Meanwhile I cut the slot for the truss rod in the neck and began work on the padauk fingerboard.

[​IMG]

Once I'm happy with the fingerboard dimensions I have to rebate the edge for the binding before cutting the fret slots and doing the inlays.

You might think that having made a couple of this style it would be plain sailing on this but, to be honest, some things I can't remember exactly how I did them so it takes a little while to work it out again. However, it was lucky that I kept all the templates from the others as that has saved quite a bit of time through not having to cut new ones. Regardless of that I'm still largely dependent on the weather as I have to do a lot of work outside. It's been dry this week and, if it continues over the next few weeks - although the forecast is for snow! :wow:, I can get some more progress. I hope they're wrong about the cold spell.

More to follow. :)

7. javamagic

Still no work (and not likely to get any until January now:() so I've been getting on with this.

Once again I drilled out the bulk of the waste with Forstner bits in the pillar drill...

[​IMG]

... and then cleaned up the inside with the router fitted with the wide base.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I glued the wings onto the side of the headstock. That's six clamps: two to hold the ply against the face to align the front; two to hold the wings flat against the ply; and two to clamp them against the neck.

[​IMG]

The headstock is slightly wider than on a standard Rick because this one's having a wider neck (48mm at the nut).

[​IMG]

The tuner holes needed some careful marking out as the headstock is only 16.5mm thick (and the tuners I intend to use are 17mm wide according to the Gotoh website :hmm:). I measured my Rick 450/12 and that is only 15mm! :dunno: The drilling of the side holes required a bit of creative work to get them aligned properly.

[​IMG]

Next up I routed the slots for the side tuners. As was/is usual for vintage style Ricks this does not go right through the thickness of the head.

[​IMG]

Next up is to rebate the fingerboard and body edges, do the tailpiece scoop, cut and fit the inlays and frets, binding, etc. All being well, over the next week or two I should be able to get the thing together. After that it's a wait for warmer weather to do the finishing. :)

8. JohnnyGoo

:applause:Fantastic

9. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

That's great that you are giving it a slightly wider neck. I have a 1960's Ric 660 6-string that is a fine solidbody, except that the fingerboard is too narrow for most adult fingers. From my limited experience, I also found the Ric 12-strings to be a bit tight in string-to-string spacing. Yours should be more comfortable to play. If I had the skill and energy to duplicate my 660, I would do that, too.

10. javamagic

Yes, at 1 5/8" Rickenbackers have narrow necks for six strings, let alone twelve! I understand why Tom Petty had them make his signature 12-string with a wider neck but could never understand why Rickenbacker didn't adopt that as standard. :dunno: I used to have a lovely 1966 Epiphone Riviera 12-string which had the so-called "narrow" (1 9/16") neck but even that was easier to play than the Rick.

This one I'm building has been requested by my "customer" to have the wide neck because he has big fingers. With the Capri style body it will be the 360/12 Rickenbacker never made. :thumb:

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  11. javamagic

It's been another fine day here so I dragged a load of gear out of the shed, set up in the garden and got on with some work.

I rebated the edge of the fingerboard.

[​IMG]

... and the top edge of the body.

[​IMG]

I made a jig for the previous Rick style guitars which, although not entirely successful, takes some of the hard work out of cutting the tailpiece scoop.

[​IMG]

Flip the "wings" over and cut the curved sides.

[​IMG]

The forecast is that bad weather is on the way but, as I've done most of the nasty machining (which has to be done outdoors), I should be OK for doing the fretting, etc. indoors over the next week or two. :)

SG John likes this.
  12. javamagic

Today I cleaned up the scoop with the microplane, followed by some glasspaper.

[​IMG]

I routed the neck pocket...

[​IMG]

...and dry fitted the neck.

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the above picture you'll notice some maple cross-banding pieces applied to the top. This is a precaution because, as some of you may have realised, the last Ricks I made had a problem with shrinkage split, exacerbated by the router bit snatching the timber and trying to pull it apart!
    It's beginning to look like a guitar. :)

[​IMG]

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW just friggin WOW!!!!!

14. JohnnyGoo

No kiddin.i enjoy these threads.especially semi hollow body builds.and a Ric 12 string to boot.

15. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

That's looking really good!

:applause:

16. javamagic

Today it's radiusing the fingerboard and marking and cutting the fret slots. The tools on the Workmate will give you clues as to how I do it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SG John and JakeD like this.
  17. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Awesome as usual....I didn't expect anything less ! :thumb:

axmaker likes this.
  18. javamagic

Cheers Lou. :thumb:

SG Lou likes this.
  19. javamagic

Today's little jobs.

I bent the binding around the tight bits of the body by heating it with a hairdryer before gluing.

[​IMG]

After gluing the binding to the top (you can just see the masking tape holding the binding on the bass side bout) I moved onto cutting the pearl inlays for the neck.

[​IMG]

Out with the jeweler's saw and the cutting board. Fortunately these inlays have nice straight sides so they're easy to cut and file. To the left you can see the board I use to hold the fingerboard while doing the inlay routs. On the other side are the holes for the pre-cut frets. (Soon! :thumb:)

[​IMG]

After cutting the inlays are spot glued to the fingerboard so I can scribe around them. They're then removed so the routing can be done. You'll see that in the next instalment. :)

20. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Brian, I am, once again, in awe of your lutherie skills! Maybe I should come over and say hi, and maybe then your skills will rub off on me! :naughty:
    Awesome as usual, mate!