OH, NO! Not another Javamagic build?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by javamagic, Dec 6, 2014.

1. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

2. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I hope we still keep our friendship in tact, but I'm not a fan of the blue-burst... I know it's the customer's choice. Maybe, if that color blue was solid for the entire guitar, the a darker blue was used along the edges to create the "bursting" effect. Or maybe an opaque version of that blue as a base coat.

I love the guitar itself. I've really loved following this thread for advice, and can't wait until I can build my own Rick copy, but.....

Sorry...

I know this guitar is going to be an absolute knock out, because I've played so many of you other builds.

3. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

As you say John, it's the customer's choice. I'd have preferred to use blue rather than this but ... I really feel that the turquoise doesn't work to well as a sunburst and probably would have been better as a solid colour. It just doesn't give the nice graduation and blend of colour that the red does. (Gratuitous pic of my Capri! :naughty:)

[​IMG]

Updates on both to follow soon. :smile:

eS.G. likes this.
  4. SG John

That Capri looks great. I love the double bound body.

5. javamagic

Latest pics.

The wiring.

[​IMG]

The pickups fitted.

[​IMG]

Front of the head.

[​IMG]

Back of the head.

[​IMG]

And now just waiting for the tailpiece.

[​IMG]

My own Capri is at the same stage so I'll have to chivvy up my friend who's making the tailpieces. After they're made they will still have to get sent off for chrome plating. After that it's string 'em up and set 'em up. :smile:

eS.G., ricardo_vicente and Bettyboo like this.
  6. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

thats Awsome.

7. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Brilliant work, thanks for posting these pics and updates.

May I just ask, in the picture below, the connections joining the tops of the pots, could you explain the purpose to this novice, please. I'm gonna rewire soon, and it's great to learn as much as possible from the skilled posters.

[​IMG]

8. SG John

Earth/Ground

9. JohnnyGoo

Say Boo most pots are like this but hes using like solid wire. alot just use the vintage pullback wire.i just use the black vintage wire.BUT i might be changin my aproach after seeing this.nice and sanitary.looks great.great work

10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for your replies; I thought it must be something to do with earthing, but have never seen it done like this before.

11. javamagic

Thank you. The ground wire is a piece of silver-plated solid wire. I nicked the idea of using the "spurs" from the pot ground tabs off someone else (can't remember who but thanks). That saves the grief of bending the tabs back far enough to solder them to the case and it also leaves room in them for other connections such as the pickup grounds. :smile:

Bettyboo likes this.
  12. JohnnyGoo

inwas wondering what you was using for the solid wire stock.thanks for info Java.and your right about using the ground tabs on the pots like you did.great idea and i think i will incorperate this method into my next wiring job.thanks

13. javamagic

For those of you who may have wondered what happened to this guitar I can now tell you.
    There was a delay on getting the tailpieces made (It's complicated!!!) and then chrome plated but they came back last week and I managed to get the frets sorted and the nut cut and the guitar strung up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing is as much of a pig to string as any other Rick 12. There were also certain problems with the tuners. (Ask me and I may tell. :fingersx:) The truss rod needed a very slight tweak and some final adjustment to the nut slots got the action down to something very playable. The neck is wider than standard at 1 7/8" so there's plenty of finger room. Intonation is pretty good for a six-saddle bridge up to around fret 10 on the low strings but very good on the higher ones.
    What does it sound like? I have no idea as I haven't plugged it into an amp yet. That may be for when the new owner comes to collect. :smile:

[​IMG]

ypnos, eS.G. and WavMixer like this.
  14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW that is AMAZING well done!

15. SG John

Nice! I really like that bridge. The Blueglow is starting to grow on me, but I still think your Capri looks much nicer in Fireglow. Brew does like the pickups, but I'd still like to get your take on them.

:cheers:

Oh, and I can tell about the tuners. I had a '66 330-12 for a while. It was a demon to string up.

:ohno:

16. javamagic

Kent Armstrong toaster pickups are now like hen's teeth: production stopped due to Mr Hall's litigiousness and, when I checked the other day, WD in the UK were listing just one at a clearance price. WD Stateside never listed them! The options now are either genuine Rickenbacker pickups, Lollar's "Broilers" at $140 each or cheap Artec ones. I suppose the cheapies have the option of rebuilding to original spec if you know someone who's good at rewinding and swapping magnets.

17. @tommypistolen

@tommypistolen Member

Beautiful work! It's hard not to admire someone who has your skills and I guess patients!!!
    I love the color! Makes it very exotic and unique!!!

18. javamagic

I don't have patients. I'm not a doctor!

Guitar now collected by the man who commissioned it. He seemed very happy with the result. :smile:

ypnos likes this.