Oh The Humanity...........

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Norlin SG, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Huh? I saw first rate advertising copy. BTW: The VW ad is 5 years old and the Gibson at least a couple. Can't work up too much outrage about them.

4. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I've seen the Gibson ones at the LMS, but never heard them. However, they were 3x the price of my Palmer 2x12... So no thanks Gibson.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

Do remember that Gibson bought Teac. I get the feeling this is simply cross-branding in an attempt to suck few recording guitarists into wallet range with a prettied-up Teac/Tascam speaker.

Bob

Raiyn and rotorhead like this.
  6. Rox

Rox Active Member

Didn't Kiss do the guitar car audio thing with a signature PT Cruiser back in '98?

7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I don't see anything sleazy in there (immoral, corrupt), just corporations doing what they do best; using their brand names to sell stuff.

Biddlin likes this.
  8. Norlin SG

Not sure what responses I would get but calling a Chinese made transistorized car sub a Fender Bassman is just sleazy marketing at it's worst. Maybe not immoral or corrupt, but certainly misleading and exploitive.

exploitative definition:
    Taking unfair or unethical advantage of a person, group,or situation for the purpose of profit, comfort, or advancement.

9. roxynoodle

roxynoodle New Member

Guitar Center has a mini fridge that looks like a Marshall amp. I wouldn't pay the money to have one but I thought if you had an old mini fridge that was dead it might be fun to decorate it in a similar way and use it to store guitar related items.

10. Biddlin

Nothing unfair or unethical about either of your two examples. Some personal reason you're going after these particular entities?

11. SG standard

Providing a definition of 'exploitative' doesn't help explain how on earth you're applying it to this product, (or the terms misleading, exploitative or unethical). What's provoking this, the fact it's made in China? Fender products not being USA-made can hardly be news to you - for a brief period Fender didn't even have a US factory, and their new guitars were coming from Japan. Ever since then, there've been non-USA made Fender products, so what's the big deal here?

From the Fender web page you linked to:
    "The system, developed over three years by leading Fender and Panasonic sound engineers..."

What's misleading about that? Who is being exploited, and how? In what way is it 'unfair or unethical' for Fender to sell products to consumers?

12. Norlin SG

Well, just call me old fashioned but taking a name that had a specific intent to specific products when it was coined up and using it completely out of context by implying that they are carrying on Leo Fender's tradition by branding a Panasonic car audio system with it is pretty much just some dreamed up lame marketing.

What makes it so hilarious is that most all of Leo Fenders work was making musical instruments, not making consumer audio electronics. If you have ever run a full range signal through a guitar amp or guitar through a home studio it really demonstrates just how much their whole marketing scheme is just a made up fairy tale.

My 2 cents..........

13. SG standard

But there is a context: Fender claim to have played a part in shaping the sound of a generation (not entirely unreasonable; they led with solid body electric guitars, electric basses, and the amps they were played through). And so, with this product they’re claiming to ‘shape the sound’ of the music you’re listening to in your car. Lame marketing it may be, but there is a context. But does there need to be? What’s the connection between selling records and flying commercial aircraft? Or doing either of those things and being an Internet service provider? The Virgin brand does all three, and more. If a corporation has a strong brand, they’ll seek to make money from it – that’s just what corporations do in capitalist economies, nothing new here.

There’s nothing sleazy, unethical, unfair or misleading in this. But, if Fender’s claim is correct, and their employees spent three years developing the product with Panasonic, describing it as ‘branding a Panasonic car audio system’ is misleading, as it’s not simple a branding exercise. See how easy it is to mislead people?

14. Norlin SG

The extent of Fenders part in this "badge Engineering" collaboration is summed up below.

The Beetle Fender Edition incorporates a number of specialized interior and exterior Fender touches. Among them:

• A dashboard in the quintessential "3-Color Sunburst" color of Fender guitars
      • Leather details and floor mats with color contrasting seams that are in perfect harmony with the dashboard design
      • The iconic Fender logo in two chrome side panel badges,
      • Proprietary Panasonic speaker technology that cuts through noise to reproduce the elements of a live concert in the vehicle.
    This blurb relates to the legacy of fender Musical Instruments and has zero mention that Fender actually had any real input into Panasonic proprietary designs. Click the Fender link and there is no mention of Fender producing automotive audio products, because what they do is produce musical instruments and musical instrument electronics.

About Fender Musical Instruments Corporation:
    Fender® is a leading U.S. guitar and amplifier brand and a name that is synonymous with rock 'n' roll. With an illustrious history dating back to 1946, Fender has touched and transformed music worldwide and in nearly every genre: rock 'n'roll, country and western, jazz, rhythm and blues, and many more. Everyone from enthusiasts and beginners to the world's most acclaimed artists and performers has used Fender instruments and amplifiers, in the process making the company not only a revered music industry name, but also a cultural icon. For more information, visit www.fender.com.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...o-system-to-three-new-vehicles-187939571.html

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  15. SG standard

As I said before, and regardless of how they summarise features elsewhere, they mention it here:

16. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Wow, yeah.. Tacky as hell!

I'll take my VW in Lake Placid Blue, please hah hah ha...

17. Norlin SG

I finally found the link (again) and what you quoted. It's part of some marketing fluff at buried at the very bottom of the Fender Premium Audio System Products page:

IT'S TIME TO PLAY IT LOUD
    Fender Premium Audio has finally hit the streets, and we want YOU to experience what the automobile audio industry is describing as “one of the best” automotive audio systems by Motor Trend magazine.

The Fender Premium Audio System, featured exclusively in the 2013 Volkswagen Passat, Beetle, Jetta and Jetta GLI, is the first of its kind boasting nine speakers and 400 watts of power.

The system, developed over three years by leading Fender and Panasonic sound engineers, reproduces Fender's classic sound highlighted by uncompromised clarity at low or high volumes, powerful bass response and detailed midrange tones that combine to recreate the raw emotion of a live performance.

Of course Fender was in the loop, they had to be involved to make sure that their licensing agreement with VW/Panasonic appeared like Fender was actually involved in the concept. One Fender engineer on call to Panasonic would make the co-development statement valid.

The good news is that Fenders credit rating went from a B1 to a B2 most likely in part because of the deal. Te reality is that Fender just plain old needed the money.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  18. SG standard

And you know that for a fact because.... you just made it up, right? :rolleyes:

19. Norlin SG

No. Do you have anything other than that single sentence that eludes to how much technical input Fender actual had? With VWAG being the 6th largest corporation in the world I don't really think Fender had much real technical input into the project other than trademark usage licenses.

Really? "Fender Deluxe" tweeter, "Fender Twin" speaker and "Fender Baseman" subwoofer? What do those great sounding legacy instrument tube amps have to with mobile sound reproduction which Panasonic is very talented at already?

Great conversation though. Opinions are like SG's. Everyone should have one.:cheers:

drown likes this.
  20. Biddlin

ROFLMAO. The last Panasonic sound system I had in a car was in a 1980 Renault.
    I still haven't gotten your answer to why you're so angry at these guys. I think maybe you wanted a VW with the system but missed out.