Oil day

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by gasket, Apr 14, 2018.

1. gasket

gasket Active Member

A hot autumn Saturday, a good day for Lemon Oil to soak into the rosewood and ebony before the cooler days arrive. Will try to get the acoustics done tomorrow.

20180414_133904.jpg
    20180414_135014.jpg
    20180414_133939.jpg
    20180414_135430.jpg

Missed a couple :-(
    No matter, will oil them tomorrow.

20180414_142423.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Dave Johnson, Gillean, Didds and 3 others like this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I got a few a while back, but have added more since then.

I just use Epiphone mineral oil, but I put a Gibson label on it.

3. gasket

gasket Active Member

That's very funny!!! :rofl:
    Time for a beer now, later comes the hard work, clean, polish and recase. :(

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

wow... that's a fine collection of lovely guitars. Love those pictures,
    thanks for posting.

But while you've got all the strings off, you should know
    about Fret Doctor. It's a fine treatment for the fretboard, made originally to seal
    the wood on fifes... They have repackaged the product for guitarists in a little bit larger
    bottle. it works great. I'll apply it maybe once a year, in the fall as you describe...
    as protection from the ravages of the great white North, and the dryness of our homes
    when the furnace is on.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Another product you might appreciate is Gorgomyte. If you've got a number of guitars all
    unstrung for cleaning, you can apply Gorgomyte to the frets and the fretboard after the Fret Doctor,
    and before you restring.

http://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=Gorgomyte

I like the stuff, and once again, you don't need to apply this every week. If you play hard, you can
    apply it every string change. It's a cleaner and fret polisher. Highly recommended.

I like these products better than just lemon oil. Lemon oil is great for the initial cleaning of a
    used guitar fretboard, where you want to remove all the finger grease and dead punk skin before you
    install your first set of new strings in your preferred gauge. But the Fret Doctor is good after you've
    cleaned the board thoroughly, and the Gorgomyte is a good way to keep it conditioned.

Of course there's also Music Nomad's F-1... this also works great on your fretboard.

syscokid and gasket like this.
  5. gasket

gasket Active Member

Thanks heaps for the input, I've selectively taken a few words from your post ...
    One or two of those guitars get the regular work with a couple of maple f/board guitars not shown so I didn't de-string them all. Do you see a problem with lemon oil applied and wiped down on the strings?
    The three products you mentioned will be explored. Locally the trade are recommending the lemon oil and nothing more. You suggest, it's only a "cleaning" product???

6. Paully

Paully Active Member

Awsome guitar collection.

Col Mustard and gasket like this.
  7. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Do you actually use real lemon oil as a conditioner?

8. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Amazing collection. The JM and SG are my favorites
    :D

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

F-one on ebony application:

Roca and syscokid like this.
  10. syscokid

Yup! F-One Oil fan here, too... :yesway:

Roca likes this.
  11. Roca

Roca Active Member

F-one!!!

12. gasket

gasket Active Member

ScreenHunter_1540 Apr. 15 06.58.jpg

13. gasket

gasket Active Member

Thanks.
    I'm embarrassed to say there are more. Some days I love them all and other days I think this is first world stupidity :confused:

SG standard and Col Mustard like this.
  14. syscokid

Ok... that's a blend. Which should be good. Pure, real lemon oil is not good for moisturizing fretboards, due to the acidity.

Col Mustard likes this.
  15. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I've used this, cheap and easy to find. It seems to work fine.

12289087_800.jpg

syscokid likes this.
  16. Col Mustard

Do I actually think of lemon oil as a cleaner and not a conditioner?

Yes.

Lemon oil works great to clean gunky fingerboards... (and so does Windex)
    especially if I buy a used guitar and
    want to remove all of the previous owner's DNA. But I don't think it does much else.

I don't think it does any harm... except to the checked finish of an old guitar. You don't want to
    put lemon oil on a cracked varnish because you don't want it to work down in the cracks and make
    them bigger. On a varnished maple fretboard, it can clean but not sink in. On a heavily played maple
    fretboard, it can sink into the cracks in the varnish and darken the wood, just as the oil from your
    fingers does.

You can look up and read what Gibson says about using Lemon oil on their guitars. They don't approve...
    but of course they want you to buy the branded Gibson guitar polish. Which is likely to be formulated
    to work well on Lacquer. *shrugs... I don't have any of that, but have had good results with the stuff
    I recommended. For polish I use Music Nomad 'Guitar One."

On a polyurethane finished guitar (which is most all guitars except Gibsons and USA Fenders)
    Lemon Oil does nothing... wipe it on, wipe it off along with the dirt and grease and dead skin and
    kitty dander.

The Gorgomyte cleaning cloths I recommend are great cleaners, and they shine your frets beautifully
    and keep your fingerboard spiffy. Lemon oil is one of the ingredients in those, I believe... along with other
    magical potions.

I suggested this because I read your post, and felt that if you work this hard on loving maintenance for
    your excellent instruments, you would appreciate these other products. I know you will.

Logan and syscokid like this.
  17. gasket

gasket Active Member

Col, thanks again for a well considered reply.
    I'm still trying to get my head around this stuff. Firstly are your comments about "pure" lemon oil? The product in use is a blend, see post #12. Also do you have a comment regarding 'blended" lemon oil on (and wiped off) strings?
    Little extra detail, all but 3 of the instruments in the photos were purchased new and haven't become dirty (in my opinion) they are played minimally and cleaned regularly. Two guitars get 95% of the work are cleaned at least once a week, the others get the treatment in post #1 every 6 months even if they have been in the case for the full 6 months.

18. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Autumn? Haha

Dunlop lemon oil contains no real lemon oil; real lemon oil is not recommended. You can apply it with the strings on but I've found it easier to loosen the strings enough to slide them to the side

syscokid likes this.
  19. gasket

gasket Active Member

Thanks for the comment on string application.
    You say "Autumn?", in the English speaking world that's the season after summer and before winter. :naughty:

20. Col Mustard

I was going to reply that I actually know nothing about "real Lemon Oil..."
    which I presume is the strongly scented and highly acidic plant oil
    extracted from squeezing a ton of lemon peels into a catch basin.
    A tiny drop of that in your vinaigrette turns it into "Zesty Italian" dressing.
    Don't put that on your guitar...

The only "Lemon Oil" I have any experience with, or knowledge of...
    is nothing more than mineral oil with a bit of lemon scent. The same stuff as
    baby oil IMHO, but packaged in small 4oz bottles priced at a high ten bucks.
    I'm sure that's what Dunlop Lemon Oil is, as well as Planet Waves Lemon Oil
    or Old English Lemon Oil or all the other branded guitar and furniture products.

Wipe it on, wipe it off, I don't think it does much harm, and I don't think it does
    much other than carry away grime.

I would never use that on my strings. I wipe my strings off with a cotton bandana
    after playing. I keep a cotton bandana in each guitar case for this purpose, and
    wash them along with my socks after a sweaty tour. They last a long time, and
    they help the strings last a long time too.

One more caution: IT'S POSSIBLE TO BECOME OBSESSED WITH CLEANING YOUR GUITARS...
    We've seen it before. If you bought them new and you don't play them in smokey dives where
    the grease from the frier blends with cigar smoke and girl perfume from the audience and
    steam from the burgers on the grill rolls around the stage in clouds, and
    gets all over your instrument and down inside your lungs.... then you don't have to work too
    hard to clean them.

Once a year is probably enough, using a bottle of Music Nomad's Guitar One (or Dunlop's 65)
    to polish the finish and a bottle of Music Nomad's F-1 on the rosewood or ebony fretboards.
    Fender style varnished maple need only wiping down with a clean bandana when you change
    strings. Polyurethane finished guitars need nothing. None of these products do anything to a
    Poly finish, it's impervious to all the hazards and all the 'remedies" and is one of the best and
    most practical guitar finishes there is, in spite of the way people seem to worship lacquer.

SG standard likes this.