Old Dog, new trick

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by OldDog, Apr 27, 2019.

1. OldDog

OldDog Member

I want my first post here to be my introduction. We all have our unique stories. My story is no exception so here it is: My name here is OldDog because that’s what I am. I had and have many retirement goals and one was to learn to read music and to play guitar…or banjo but banjo seemed like maybe a better follow-on rather than primary. So, most of my retirement goals are in good shape and so I moved on to the guitar thing. I am a beginner in just about every respect. My current talent level is probably good enough for any middle school, maybe some high school and a long way from garage band. My wife thinks I’m pretty good at this, but what does she know.

I am also a car guy…–Cars-N-Guitars!- I have a 1967 Ford Fairlane big block Four speed, and a 1972 Corvette smallblock automatic. I work on them myself. I started out as a mechanic when I was a teen and have kept my skills relatively current. I’ve owned them for many years. I just like having them. 2011SG Standard.JPG

I am here because I own a 2011 SG Standard in Pelham Blue, SN 123110583. I didn’t set out to get this guitar. It’s one of those “It found me” stories. But the price seemed to be in the zone for used SGs of all common types, so I bought it. I also own a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Studio in Ebony. My normal player guitar is an Ovation. I look at guitars as art as well as things that make noise. All of these guitars have eye appeal, which I really enjoy. This SG is in excellent condition. Not a scratch, chip, dent, crack, or nick anywhere. I had a lot of trouble finding out what it was and what its value might be and still don’t know with certainty on any of that. But I do like it. It plays real nice and feels good in my hands and makes the hard notes come easy. A keeper for sure and I understand why there is a forum for this guitar.

So, that’s it. I am not a forum troll and I rarely contribute when the topic is beyond my expertise. I appreciate the enthusiasm here.

DanB, syscokid, rotorhead and 4 others like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard OldDog! :smile:

Nice SG you have there! The Standard's have always been my favorite of the SGs.

OldDog likes this.
  3. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum OldDog! A very nice guitar you got there. Pelhalm blues is a beutiful color for an SG...as you said its a peace of art that makes noise ;)
    "Beginner" is a very subjective term. I consider myself as a beginner too and I am two years into my guitar journey now. How long have you been playing?

4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Yea Welcome! Good color choice.

5. OldDog

OldDog Member

I haven't been playing long...less than six months. But being retired and with most of my projects completed, I can afford to practice every day. And I do. Sometimes for the whole day. The rumor was that Robert Johnson made a deal with the devil. Maybe so. But he probably poured his heart into his art, which probably better explains his talent. I really love sitting in my playing chair and working on the lessons (Hal Leonard books) or playing from sheet music or just poking around youtube for some riff tips and giving it a shot. I was playing Kashmir the other day. My wife even recognized it. My goal isn't to get Jimmy Page's attention. I want to be able to competently play some Christmas music for the family gathering. I like playing so much that I bought a travel guitar to feed my guitar Jones while I'm on vacation soon. It plays real good. LPS&Anygig.JPG I appreciate everyone's welcome.

PixMix and Layne Matz like this.
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hey welcome to the forum and congrats!

The SG is gorgeous and the LP looks sweet also!

I am anywhere from 2 ish to 4 years away from retirement and I am working hard ( and having a ton of fun ) working on guitar "skills". I dunno about playing all day though ha ha aren't you going to get really sore fingers etc?

Seems like to me about 20 hours of practice a week is about what I can tolerate.

It's not a 5k race getting better at guitar is more like a 150 miler so you have to pace yourself.

7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG. Nice guitar and amp. Our pasts are pretty much the same. I too started my work life as a mechanic before moving into parts way back in the 80s. And..... I too am a car guy. 77 Vette in my garage. Nothing collectible. It’s a driver.

8. OldDog

OldDog Member

Ha! Yeah, my fingers were pretty sore for the first couple weeks. It made practicing chords real difficult, but they hardened up and I pretty much have no feeling whatsoever in the tips. Can't say that's a better problem to have. I rarely practice all day. I have a life beyond music. After all, grass doesn't cut itself nor does the mountain of normal living stuff go away on its own. I played the SG for a little bit this morning. I just love the way that thing feels in my hands and the awesome tone. But then put it down and went to scrub out the shower.

I'm not obsessed, just enthusiastic. I hear you on pacing. My goals are pretty rational. The Christmas music goal doesn't seem very far away, but for the here and now, I want to be just a little bit better today than yesterday. I figured a modest goal like that would keep me from being discouraged by my lack of proficiency and give me the energy to stick with it. I feel pretty good about my progress and really enjoy taking a break from chores to strum a bit.

The one great thing I have discovered about taking up the guitar is that you can never be bored if you have a guitar resting on the stand in your living room (or where ever you spend your time). That has made a noticeable difference in my life. If I have nothing going on, then I pick up the guitar. I know it seems obvious to most here, but I wasn't anticipating that benefit.

Again, I appreciate everyone's perspective and the sense of community. And ibelive, if you want, I'll post up a photo of the cars. I don't want to clutter up the forum with off-topic stuff if no one want to see it. Again, for me, cars-n-guitars are about equal. They are art that make noise.

9. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

That's a great looking SG! Welcome!

OldDog likes this.
  10. GrumpyOldDBA

OK yeah I dunno about the no feeling part. That sounds a bit like you are maybe overdoing it some.

There is so much "junk" out there on the internet and youtube for guitar playing but one real good resource that is free ( or you can join and buy stuff there but optional ) is justin guitar dot com. Worth checking out he even has several totally free xmas song lessons.

I was working with a teacher my first year its worth considering at some point just at least for getting sanity checks on what you are doing and where maybe things are being done "not so correctly". Just because well at our old ages it is easy to develop bad habits when doing something new ...

Anyhow just rambling there 's so many good people over here on this site and very little that people here have not seen or done before so just jump on in the waters fine!

arcticsg likes this.
  11. OldDog

OldDog Member

This is very helpful advice.

I was thinking about taking some lessons after I had a pretty good platform to work from. I mean, right now, all a teacher could do is point out that this is a guitar and this is a hat and I should get to know the difference a little better before wasting everyone's time. I don't know enough to get the most out of it.

I am very closely following the Hal Leonard books. I am very disciplined and avoid doing stuff I see on youtube. I figure I am less likely to learn bad habits if I closely follow the book lessons. My method in getting through the books is I carefully review the lesson, slowly practice the lesson, and repeat until I can do the lesson properly on both the acoustic and the SG. And every couple of days, I roll back in the books and start again going through the lessons to reinforce my skills. It takes a very long time to get through the books this way, but my goal isn't to finish the books as fast as I can. I want to capture everything there is to get from the books.

As I sit here now, I am about half way through the second of three books. I was thinking maybe pro lessons once I had finished the third book.

12. GrumpyOldDBA

The things a real live teacher can do are seeing things.

Too much pick hanging out for example. ( Grab more pick ha ha i have internalized that ).

Death gripping the fretboard with fretting arm/hand ... arm positions relative to the guitar ... etc.

Most guitar teachers themselves learned over time to correct bad habits its just us old peeps are time challenged and if you can avoid them early on ... less things to change later?

arcticsg likes this.
  13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

And congratulations on some great guitar choices.

I too will echo the applause for the idea of taking lessons from a good teacher.

And that has its own pitfalls. Don't be too shy to bail out if the teacher isn't giving
    you anything. Get one that can teach you what you want to learn.
    I believe it's money well spent, and time well spent as well.
    I tell all my students: Keep your thumb behind the neck...
    If you do that, you can play with a much more relaxed hand, and this
    will free up your style. Combine that with the fast and comfortable SG neck,
    and you will find yourself playing parts you never dreamed you could.

That thing about getting set in your ways when you're older is no joke.
    I learned this the hard way, of course. But you don't have to.
    Look at your SG... there's a cure. Or at least a remedy.

I bought my first SG when I turned 60. It was my present to myself for
    reaching this awesome age. I was always voted most likely to be shot
    while attempting to escape, or by a jealous husband, or what.
    Luna 3@100.jpg
    Now it's ten years later and I'm still arse over teakettle in love with my first
    SG. May you have this joy. May your SG inspire your music, to the point
    where you see something you never saw or heard before.

This can happen. Lots of us have other guitars we play. I often laughingly
    refer to myself as a guitar slut. Love the one yer with, eh? And in my senior
    years, I have equipped myself with a small collection of excellence.
    Yay for that.
    guitar family 06-21-18@100.jpg
    Actually a couple of these are gone now. I sold my 'vintage" instruments last year...
    so the '75 Mossman dred (6th from left) and the '66 Fender Jazz Bass (second from
    right) netted me a few thousand that me and my girlfriend will need later I'm sure.

And I'm likely to sell more of these this year. I'm 70 now, and things change
    rapidly when you least expect it. Guitars are usually NOT good investments when
    compared with other uses for the same money. But guitars make music...
    and THAT my friends is priceless.

So play music and enjoy! Life is short! Good times are hard to come by!
    Take what you can get with your SG. Return and report when you are ready.

14. OldDog

OldDog Member

Okay, I'm sold on the teacher. But when is the best time to enter the one-on-one learning environment? I know that may be an "it depends" type of question but there has to be a sweet zone. I appreciate everyone's perspective.f By the way; drooling over your collection.

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

If there is a music store nearby that offers lessons, you could hang out
    there and speak to the instructor(s)...

If there is a YMCA nearby that offers lessons, or if someone has hung out a
    shingle, or posted their name on a cluttered bulletin board, you could speak
    to the teacher, and see if anything happens.

Make up your mind about a few things: What kind of music do you want to play?
    Favorite artists or styles? Particular songs you want to learn? That's how you begin.
    If a prospective student talked to me and asked for lessons in Jazz Guitar techniques,
    I would refer them to the local music school... because I have no capabilities to
    share in that genre. But the bulletin board in the local community college might be a source.

Or if you go to a particular church, and they have a band, and the music director of the
    church gives lessons... you might end up playing sacred music and learn a lot without
    paying anything but your time.

OldDog likes this.
  16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Welcome OldDog. Nice instruments you acquired there, it's an excellent start. What's your amp ?

I would suggest to wait until you "master" most basic chords down the neck (first five frets) before going to a teacher. No point waisting his time with your finger positions on the fretboard.

17. OldDog

OldDog Member

Thank you all for the advice. At least now I have an idea of how to approach this. I never thought about style as part of the equation. That gives me something to think about.

I have a Fender Twin Reverb and a Line 6 Spider Jam.

DrBGood likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

DOH ! Right there in your first pic ... :io:

19. DanB

DanB Active Member

Welcome Old Dog to the SG forum. Your SG in blue looks awesome! My 1979 Gibson SG says hello! IMG_20190502_205032_hdr.jpg IMG_20190502_204905_hdr.jpg