Old Epiphone SG 400

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Lunacy the Faded, May 25, 2018.

1. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

1527294087389883419977.jpg 15272947633371635652355.jpg 15272953532751740720810.jpg 15272958889112101022205.jpg 15272961898691217366071.jpg 1527296286551654333196.jpg Hey everyone first post here, I enjoy the SGs I've played over the years and this recent delivery I wanted to share with you all here. I own two gibson SG faded models (2002 fretboard ebony with moons & a 2007) and have owned 3 epiphone SG models (special MII, G400 MIC and G400 Pro MIC) this recently aquired epiphone is a 1989 Korean Samick factory G400 with the open book headstock, rosewood binding on fretboard, dot inlays, its got a scarf joint 2 piece set neck and 3 piece body--no veneers. The guitar is set up kinda high playing as is. I havent checked the fretboard with my straight edge to adjust the truss rod or measured any string heights yet, just played out of the box. It feels very solid and resonant without fret buzz all notes reach 3 step bends and the grain appears tight like a samick double cut les paul special I got to play at a local store recently. Sadly there is a gouge at the 10th fret almost at where the G string meets the fret, practically the same exact spot as my only other epiphone I kept around. (2003 Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst Unsung Korea) If I could say one thing I've noticed about this epiphone immediately playing it eyes shut is that the fret ends are non existent, upon examination you can see the fret ends were never protruding and the factory appears to have filed the edges smooth anyways and applied rosewood binding before the finish, making the smoothest feeling epiphone neck I've ever owned. The samick les paul double cut special was the best epiphone neck I've ever felt before this arrival, being a bit more on the fat side than this SG neck and with no protruding frets either. Epiphones frets nowadays are lumping over the side of the binding and can have razor sharp feet, I actually specified to a well known retailer (who perform a thorough inspection) that during their optional charge pro setup to knock the frets smooth incase there were any snags and set my action and intonation on an Epiphone 1955 Les Paul Custom, they sent me a guitar with intonation way off at the bridge saddles for a 2 strings and slightly out on 2 others, fret ends all lumped out factory still. I am taken back by the decrease in quality over these 24+ years, I spoke to them about refunding the set up and the conversation turned to me just requesting a return label. This Epiphone cost me a fraction of the price and shows honest build quality that reinforces the relationship between guitar player and guitar manufacturer, I can see why gibson had started with samick Korea making imports to their blueprints. Anyone with 1989 epis please link to the thread so we can share photos and or stories, I will take some as is and share them with the forum. Thanks guys, Lunacy the Faded

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Eh ... welcome to the zoo. I think you'll fit right in with such an intro.
    THAT is a nice SG !

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Howdy... Welcome aboard! :smile:

4. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

nice..

what does the serial number say...
    EDIT::: just read it s a 1989 korean

5. Lunacy the Faded

Thank you! Its all oiled up going to correct the intonation and do a sound sample with the old strings on it. The serial says 9050758, also noticed the headstock has two slivers on the side like a gibson

15273467634141135463164.jpg

6. Lunacy the Faded

This is it out of the box no adjustments made, only thing done was tuning to pitch and generous application of Dr. Ducks AxWax. Checked electronics last night plugged in and all is working as it should, about to open the cavity up right now though for a look and I'll share a photo, thanks for the welcome! 20180526_104950.jpg 20180526_105030.jpg 20180526_105038.jpg 20180526_105230.jpg 20180526_105411.jpg

7. DrBGood

That is a Gibson with a misspelled logo you have.

In Tampa and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Ha! I'd like to see Gibson build a guitar that well.

9. DrBGood

I don't know a thing about Gibson SGs, but wouldn't a '89 be of similar construction ?

10. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

IIRC the very early 89's had the Gibson style headstock. I had a Cherry 89 which had the usual clipped version. Early G400 construction was Mahogany body (mine was 2 piece - without veneer like now) and neck rosewood fretboard. According to Epiwiki they had dot markers until 95, then block inlays.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    dub-setter and Lunacy the Faded like this.
  11. Lunacy the Faded

20180526_214636.jpg

Attached Files:

12. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Those older Korean G400s are nice, would love to get my hands on one.

That's the most minimal attempt at shielding I've ever seen.

Is the neck pickup super dark and woolly with that 47nF cap on the tone pot?

13. donepearce

That shielding is spot on. It is there to make contact with the part that actually needs shielding, the cover plate.

14. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

But doesn't the cavity need to be shielded too?

All that foil seems to be doing is connecting the cover plate to ground, assuming the plate is foil backed.

15. donepearce

Not really. Guitars only really hum when you wear them, and they will generally stop when you grab the strings. That is because while your body is not grounded it is like a huge hum antenna and it couples the hum into the guitar via the control wiring - through the cover plate. Put a shield on that cover plate and the hum can't get past. It does no harm to shield the remainder of the cavity, but it doesn't achieve very much.

16. Lunacy the Faded

Haha the one piece of tape does look funny, there is also tape over the entire inside of the plastic cover.. so maybe the ledge connects the two.. the tone overall is warm and wooly like a few blankets are on top of my amp, it really sings, what to do... I have extra orange drop .022uf caps... also the intonation ran into a problem I'll share, my other SGs are bright and this one has a totally different tone, lower output humbuckers aswell... just a different beast!! The pots looked small to me off of memory they looked like what I've seen in strat pickguards but it could just be my memory fog

17. DrBGood

Ah ... thanks for that info, didn't know that.

... because while your body is not grounded it is like a huge hum antenna ... :rofl:

18. DrBGood

What's the weight like on this one ?

I've had a '98. It was beautiful, but it's weight was in the LP weight territory. I let it go because of that.

01.jpg

19. Lunacy the Faded

What a funny humming choir :lol: This SG weighs a few ounces over 7 pounds. ABOUT THE TONE, I'd like a brighter signal than what is provided stock, ill be posting a sound sample with the old strings on it and then after the fresh ones are on. If the tone is still too dark for my liking I will switch the volume pots out and the tone caps, the bridge tone pot doesn't turn smooth from 3-1 but ill never go there so I'll just leave the minis for both tone pots, just the two volume pots and tone capacitors are possible mods for it, I like the original cheap humbuckers mojo and want to bring them out of the mud zone and into the tone zone.. fingers crossed, after I get the first sound sample done later I'll get the pickup rings off and look at what they actually are.. there was one screw on the backplate that gave me a hard time hopefully not again.. :facepalm: (replacing the rusted screws with minty ones as I go)

QUOTE="DrBGood, post: 502955, member: 6486"]What's the weight like on this one ?

I've had a '98. It was beautiful, but it's weight was in the LP weight territory. I let it go because of that.

[/QUOTE]

20. NomeX

NomeX Member

Every time I think about changing pups, I always find a used guitar for the same amount or less than the pups I want.... I've ended up with 3 Epi's that way.

In Tampa and Lunacy the Faded like this.