On the dumbing down of modern culture

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Freejazz-SG, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Freejazz-SG

Freejazz-SG Active Member

Recently a French journalist sent a manuscript to 20 publishing companies, to see if the manuscript could be accepted. But, it was not his own manuscript, instead he sent 15 pages of a book written by the Nobel prize winner Claude Simon, well known for a difficult and controversial style in writing. 16 publishers did not accept the manuscript, the others didn´t even answer. The journalist took the result as a sign that publishers don´t want anything that looks difficult anymore, a general cultural dumbing down in society, due to stronger commercial interests in everything produced.
    IMHO: This is also something that can be seen in music, as soon people hear something strange and unfamiliar, they tend to turn it off, which in the long run must mean that nothing new will ever be recorded.
    That is a very sad development, and therefore I post a clip from my band GuitCussion, where I play a Godin Artisan, and the other guitarist plays a Ovation Breadwinner into a digital unit. We have two drummers, the clip is called Black Market, and has a strange "Indian" avantgarde vibe, that probably will sound strange to most people.

Black Market:
    http://fandalism.com/stefanthorpenberg/dZEN

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

1:Multiple studies done with various methods and metrics indicate that human intelligence has slipped by about 20 IQ points since 1917. It may be that too much access to "information" via literacy, the internet, etc. has made us lazy, relying on other peoples' work instead of using our native reasoning ability. It may also be that our definition and understanding of intelligence is outdated.
    2:I play a style my jazz trio bandmates have dubbed,"Tibetan surf music." It incorporates the styles such as classical, blues, jazz, Appalchian, French and Irish folk music and psychedelic rock that I have spent the last 52 years exploring. I hope that it sounds both "native" and "exotic" to my listeners. I think that today's audiences are more open to new "styles" and instrumentation than previous generations. Just my twopence and halfpenny for inflation.

3. Freejazz-SG

Your band would be very interesting to hear. Why have I not heard it already? Well, your´e not played on radio or TV. When I was young they sometimes played Hendrix on radio, and in the -80s Laurie Anderson´s Superman was a hit in England. Impossible today.
    But I´m not talking only about Music, but culture in general. Publishing companies release tons of criminal stories and cook books, but as mentioned, controversial things are not published. It has not so much to do with formal intelligence, it´s more peoples general approach to life, I guess?

4. Biddlin

Because the readers buy them. That's what keeps the publisher is in business.

1. Looking for Alaska, by John Green
    2. Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James
    3. I Am Jazz, by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings
    4. Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out, by Susan Kuklin
    5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon
    6. Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel
    7. Habibi, by Craig Thompson

8. Nasreen’s Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan, by Jeanette Winter

9. Two Boys Kissing, by David Levithan
    While I will not comment on the profundity of each selection, they are most certainly controversial.(at least in the USofA.)

drown likes this.
  5. Freejazz-SG

Some of those books seems to be controversial only in Alabama. In the rest of the World they are middle of the road.

6. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Well the book will be dead in a few generations if not sooner so no need to worry. And historically society is never welcoming to new styles until someone says they're interesting.

7. LDS

LDS Member

Idiocracy. Humor turned prophecy...

[​IMG]

SG standard likes this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Jazz has always been and will always be a difficult genre to propagate, even more so with free jazz. People in general have to have some kind of melody line to be able to remember or/and hum, thus endorse and buy. Even when minds were openly blown, in the hippie era, King Crimson could incorporate some of Fripp's ramblings, because they made it part of an album. His solo work never really took off.

But every month brought some challenging music. First time I heard Fragile from Yes, I had to listen to it a few times before I could grab what was going on. Gentle Giant, more than a few times. But they had melodies, complicated melodies, but still. Today we hear those Super Groups as part of the soup bowl of Progressive music, but when they came out, one by one, they were "out there".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Biddlin and drown like this.
  9. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

While I do love progressive music and enjoy challenging my brain and heart, there's still a certain magic to the simplicity of a good old Ramones song :)

Kerry Brown and drown like this.
  10. Biddlin

Ecclesiastes 1:9 We fancy ourselves as inventors of novelty, but we merely rearrange the blocks cut aeons ago by our precursors.
    Except for Jeff Beck.

Gahr and rotorhead like this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I take this result as a sign that 100% of the publishers don't want anything to do with bull$h!t submittals.

SG standard likes this.
  12. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I do like reading books, but I was listening to a podcast by an author the other day - most of his podcasts are in the form of discussions, although some are solo - and he mentioned how different the audience sizes are. I can't recall the exact numbers, but despite being on best seller lists, his podcast audience size will pass any of his book sales within a day or so. This is why he's become so committed to podcasts. Now, when you factor in the amount of time it takes to write and publish a book, compared to the preparation to have an interesting and wide ranging discussion, it's easy to see how rapidly things are likely to change.

But I still like books....

Plan Zero likes this.
  13. sazista

sazista Active Member

I like the tune. Nice work. Is that an SG? You will have to say yes . How was this recorded?

14. Biddlin

It had a tune? Whistle it.:cool:
    Seriously, to each his own. I find it reminiscent of my basement studio jams from 1972 after tea with Mr. Owsley.

rotorhead likes this.
  15. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I read an interesting blog yesterday about where modern pop music is going. I can't find it now to post the link. In essence it says that for the past few hundred years western music has always resolved to a I or V chord. Music has been about building tension then resolving it. With jazz it may be an alternate to a I or V but at it's core it always resolves. Our ears are used to that. With some of the top pop songs today there is no resolution. The music wanders but never ends up on the I or V. Not sure I agree but it was an interesting read. If I find it I'll post the link.

Sp8ctre and Biddlin like this.