One Method for Posting Images

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by smitty_p, Jan 2, 2013.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Some members have expressed some questions regarding how to get images onto the forum. Here is how I do it.

I need to point out that I am not a moderator nor an admin of Everything SG. I am just a humble member trying to help others here. If an Admin or Moderator wishes to relocate this thread, that's quite alright.

Also, I will be showing how I use Photobucket. Photobucket is but one image hosting site. There are others that work just as well. This demonstration of Photobucket should not be considered an endorsement of Photobucket. Again, this merely demonstrates, in a simplified way, how I use it to post images to ETSG. Finally, as I write this, I've had good success with Photobucket and have never had any virus or malware issues with it. But like all things, anything is subject to a hacker at some point, so be aware that using Photobucket, or any third party hosting site is something you do at your own risk.

So, here we go!

If you do not have a Photobucket account, you'll need to create one. Simply navigate to www.photobucket.com. You should come to a homepage that looks something like the image below:

[​IMG]

Click the "Sign up for free" button. You will be directed to this sign up form. After you enter the information, just click the "Sign Up" button.

[​IMG]

After your account is created, you may need to log back in. Assuming you do, its easy from this point. Whenever you want to log onto Photobucket, simply go to the Photobucket website and log into Photobucket. Once you log in, you'll get this page. Normally, the most recent image you've uploaded will be shown, but I've blanked it out here.

[​IMG]

To upload a photo, click the "Upload" button. You'll be directed to this screen.

[​IMG]

As the image shows, you can drag and drop files or click the "Browse Files" button. If you click the "Browse Files" button, your computer's Windows Explorer will be launched. Navigate in Windows Explorer to where the image is that you want to upload. This screen shot shows where I have navigated to a folder where I keep my guitar images.

[​IMG]

Just double-click the image to load it to Photobucket. I've decided to select the image labelled, "Cases." The image upload will take several seconds and, if you've signed up for a free account, you'll have an advertisement pop up. Usually the ad is a video commercial. You can see it in the main part of the screen in the image below.

Once the image is done uploading, you'll see the image in the bottom part of the screen. You can see the small photo of the guitar cases.

[​IMG]

Now, click the picture you just uploaded, as seen in the above image. You'll get a screen with the image. Off to the side there will be a button called "Image Links". Beneath it should be four different boxes. If you don't see them, click the "Image Links" button. Go down to the box labelled, "IMG code" and click in it. You'll briefly get a message that says, "Copied," as shown in the pic below.

[​IMG]

Now, If you haven't already done so, go to Everything SG and start a post like normal. In the box where you type your ETSG post, position your mouse cursor where you want to put the picture, right click your mouse and select, "Paste." The image code will be pasted into your post.

See the screenshot below. This shows what the code looks like when its pasted into your post.

[​IMG]

As I mention in the picture, you can type around the image link, but do not type in the link or alter it or the image will not post.

All in all, using an image host is a great way to post images. Plus, those images can be accessed from any internet-connected computer, smartphone, or tablet.

One important thing to understand, though, is that posting images from an image host (such as Photobucket) does not actually copy the pictures, themselves, to ETSG. It copies the link only. If you ever delete your image host account, or delete the images from Photobucket, they will no longer be viewable on ETSG.

Hopefully,this helps some out there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    grausch and PeteR like this.
  2. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

And preferable to thumbnails!

3. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

WAY BETTER!! Smitty, I hunted and pecked my way to exactly what you showed and wow@ your visual aids.

I am very very impressed at how u did that.

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Smitty's metod is first rate.

Wanna know the sleazy way, Big Easy style?

We all have a profile page and a photo album. I load pictures into my own album on this website, and then use the picture url's as what I post using the icon with the little mountain and right top postage stamp image.

For instance....

My first SG

I go to my dbb profile,

SG Guitar Forum - View Profile: dbb

On the right there is a section called "Albums" for photos. MIne is called "Musical Gear"

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/members/dbb-albums-musical-gear.html

Then I choose what picture to use, say one of my only pics of my first SG

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/m...67-my-60s-sg-special-great-guitar-i-miss.html

So then you need to get just the image:

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/m...e67-my-60s-sg-special-great-guitar-i-miss.jpg

Now I paste this image into the "Insert Image" icon:

[​IMG]

And there is is...all in ETSG!.

I told y'aLL I was cheap!

5. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

The only problem with that method is we all post pics that we wouldn't
    put in our profiles.

Neck joints, nuts, bridges, girls with SGs, pics of other people etc..

Truth is, we can put tips for this and that in our posts, but sooner or later,
    somebody's gonna ask the same question again, and somebody will post
    instructions again.

I know, I've posted P'bucket tips a few times.

We could have a sticky, but no-one seems to read them.

6. chilipeppermaniac

Sticky Vote

I agree

7. chilipeppermaniac

Good one Dave, I mean cheap dave

8. chilipeppermaniac

dbb Dave, I revisited this thread and tried your method now that the forum has been updated to the new format.

Unless I am missing something, it no longer works due to the new setup

9. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

tinypic.com is also a good option

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nobody tried with the Upload a File button at bottom of message window ? That's how I do it.

11. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

^^^ This :smile:

Believe the images have to be 1mb or less though, and as most digital camera / phones produce larger images these days, they'll need resizing - easy enough to do though...

Bob

12. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

And what about videos? What's the best way to upload or post videos? Do members get to upload either photos or videos to a media folder on this website?

:)

13. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

just copy & paste the url of the video

h t t p s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShEIwznLGI&t=2s

and it will show like this

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I use the button that looks like a film strip third one from the left on the row with the smiley button.

15. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

works exactly the same :thumb:

though the forum-software is 'intelligent' enough to show the video without the
    MEDIA=youtube....embedding

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I know, but I'm typically on my Kindle anymore, so I tend not to want to tap out my coding. Back in the old days, I'd hand code everything, but when I'm "out on portable", I tend to be a touch lazy about such things.

:D:cheers:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    PeteR likes this.
  17. Roca

Roca Active Member

What size for pics?

18. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

19. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

If you use a picture hosting service, or upload pics to the ETSG media gallery first, the size doesn't matter. If yo upload directly from your computer or phone, I don't remember...

Logan likes this.
  20. Roca

Roca Active Member

My wife showed me picsart, it has you type in a specific size.