One Of These Guitars is Not Like Any Other...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Norlin SG, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

grausch, jjudas, syscokid and 2 others like this.
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

very cool video, excellent band

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    12-string Les Paul played with a bottleneck. I can die happy. Good band though, plenty of timing discipline.

DrBGood likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

Aw, I thought it was going to be a Sesame Street thing.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Grace Potter's no Stevie Nicks, but she carried it pretty well. Sound guy could've bumped her mic up in the mix a tad though.

6. Norlin SG

It was. It would have made for a really long title.

Chubbles likes this.
  7. Norlin SG

Sadly, Stevie Nicks isn't really Stevie Nicks so much anymore. At least we have people coming up that are showing the respect and keeping the music alive.

I saw a fairly recent vid of Lindsy Buckingham and he isn't doing so well these days. I still can't believe it but it sure looked like someone hidden behind him was playing the actual guitar parts. Damn I feel old.

Yea, the mix could have been better for Grace. I noticed that the Vocoder stepped on Grace at least once coming into a verse and she kinda half flinched and almost lost her timing. Of course the mix for Warren was spot on........

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't know, to me it seemed weighted on him a bit too much. I realize she's the "guest", but they should have given her a just a bit more to balance it.

9. Norlin SG

Exactly. I became a fan of Grace since she was on episode 45 of Daryl's House and as an aside, Daryl is very respectful of his guests. Sadly episode 45 is not posted on Daryl's site anymore because the direct stream sound quality is actually pretty decent.

Episode 45 however is sliced and diced and on U-Tube and all of the songs from the show do appear to be on the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRX6Mborwx1yH91ZyFHpw3RxPTw10LU17

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Markaria

Markaria Member

wow thanks that was awesome!

11. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Interesting to note; that performance literally happened in my back yard at Mountain Jam. OK, it may be several miles as the crow flies but, my back yard does go up against the State Land that runs across the mountainside to where these concerts are held. In fact, every year we get a lost concert goer or two that wandered into the woods (high on who knows what) only to get turned around & lost & come out on my road looking for a phone to use (no cell service hear boys) or a ride back!

As for Mz Potter,.. On stage Grace is one free moving & schexy woman. I can't help but find her sexuality alluring to the point of offering serious delightful distraction, yet, in some pleasant way her physical looks & movement are not just enjoyable but when combined with the music it offers the classic 1 - 2 punch when seeing her perform live.

And Don, about that timing thing...

..............................................................................

My personal nemesis that I have gone up against in battle in just too many of the recent bands I've worked with has been the multiple drummers & their disregard of tempo, space & feel.
    This has caused much thoughtful contemplation on my part over the last couple years. I've often wondered is it the less involved nature of playing the drums or maybe boredom or maybe the potential for daydreaming that brings about theses timing & overplaying issues? I really don't know.

I personally enjoy playing drums myself & find that I stay quite content & interested for the duration. But, considering that I mostly find otherwise talented, competent older drummers that have been drumming for a long time (literally decades) much more often guilty of these time infractions than newer drummers (that are still in the throws of 'loving' & perfecting their craft while playing with genuine enthusiasm), I can't help but believe that the years & years spent doing something they once loved & enjoyed has given way to the loss of drive, interest & ability to be in the pocket & stay 'in the moment' or remain highly attentive to what they are doing!

Is it because they simply lost their initial LOVE, drive & interest? It definitely has to be a contributing factor. What else explains a once masterful drummer loosing that mastery & control & yielding to ways of sloppy and or rushed timing fluctuations & tempo increases?

This supreme frustration has ultimately been the cause for me leaving 2 bands over the course of the last 2 years & partly contributed to the problems that cost me a 3rd group that I one time really enjoyed because if it's creative abilities, musical potential & enjoyable musical outlet.
    Real losses, real frustration.

But life goes on & my hopes are still high that something comes along that once again offers creative outlet in a better suited group of musicians someday soon. Until then I have lots of studio work coming up that will do to help soothe this frustration & scratch that creative itch.

I know this was long but thanks for listening. It was rather cathartic.

Markaria and donepearce like this.
  12. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Great, but man I wish Gibson could come up with a twelve string bridge that allows correct intonation of the octave strings! One saddle per course just doesn't cut it.

Relic61 likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Gibson? Innovate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Psst, Allparts....

Markaria and koaguilds like this.
  14. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Raiyn likes this.
  15. Norlin SG

rotorhead likes this.
  16. Norlin SG

Wow skippy yea!!! Must think wholesome thoughts...................

Let's see. I saw a duet she did with the Rolling Stones and seriously, The Stones needed to just get off of the stage. Mic, just so you know, what you did in the 60's comes off like a a really bad joke/train wreck these days.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Those are aesthetic design and implementation issues. One's fugly, and the other was mainlined when it should have been tested on a limited series.

18. Norlin SG

Gibson innovation under King Henry falls int the same category as "Be careful what you ask for. You might get it". Both ideas were heavily tested and researched by King Henry and apparently no one else.

Nothing about aesthetics there. Testing on real people that might actually buy a product is beyond Henry's understanding.

Henry's own words. https://www.musicradar.com/news/gui...tar-chairman-and-ceo-henry-juszkiewicz-538839
    (Interviewer) The haters just need to catch up?

(King Henry) "Our history is all about innovations."
    "When we introduce something it takes a while for the music makers to understand it and digest it and then start using it appropriately. So, of course that's going to take time. Marketing and sales people would love to get ten hits the day a guitar ships. That's just not going to happen.
    "It takes a while for people to understand new technology. We've given them very powerful new tools that will take some time to digest."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apparently the buying public is just too stupid to understand Henry's wonderful new technology.

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Like I said
    If he'd done a retro-spacy (let's say Explorer) Custom Shop model with airbrushed rivets and an early NASA vibe, stuck a robot tuner on it and called it an Explorer "Satellite" or something he could have presented it without having to buy so many units and force feeding them to the public.