Oops, another NAD - Vox VT20+

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 16, 2013.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Owned a lot of amps in my life. Mostly solid state. Most sucked.

Lately, I've been messing around with some of the different Blackstar models. I've had the Core 10, Core 40 and spent a day with the HT1GC (which I'd still have, if it had a headphone jack and mp3 line in). The ID:Core, when using the ISF appeared to get some sweet tones, but my satisfaction would only last a week, or so. Then some time with my Flextone and they're just not cutting the mustard.

(seriously, the Flextone's imo are some of the best sounding amps around. true modeling, without cutting corners... with the long board - I found one today - they're truly versatile and well-rounded amps)

More recent entry-level and/or practice modeling amps... especially the Spider line, sound like nails on chalk boards to me now. Until I ran into this little tube hybrid today... but its a Vox.

Traded in my ID:Core 40 Stereo and didn't look back. The Core, I could spend hours plugging in different patches, sounds, etc. Play a few soungs, it would sound good... but the sound was just so limited. No, depth to it really. Then I was looking for a new patch, or turning knobs, mostly trying to eliminate something in the sound I didn't like. Way too much work, for something that's supposed to be plug and play. The VT20+... I tried 3 amp settings, liked all 3. Haven't even begun to explore yet. Haven't cracked the manual open yet (though I will).

Hope this is the start of a beautiful relationship.

Oh yeah, this Vox was the first one, you could actually turn up the mids on and it still sounded crisp. I have noticed the noise, however. Though... I'm old and all amps have always been noisy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Very cool! :)

I may need to check out a new Vox. Got my first one in 67.........

3. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

IMO, this amp has a pretty high learning curve. You really have to spend some time choosing you amp setup, then tweak (a LOT) to get the tones.

Couple things I've learned. It's got a LOT of gain. From some pretty heavy crunch... to the Stratocaster/ammo sound.

It squeezes out a lot more depth, the others can't match.

Will but one more amp, it will be all tube... though I can't complain, with the Flextone around abilities.

Probably a Blackstar...a Peavey... we'll see