Open tuning and SG neck

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cigblues3, Jan 10, 2018.

1. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

I want to try the SG in open E tuning. Is it safe and will it ruin my new strings when I go back to standard?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

It's perfectly safe, and no harm will come to your strings.

Col Mustard likes this.
  3. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I haven't done it to mine yet but I will soon. If you are worried it would be a good idea to have your truss rod adjusted afterwards, that and maybe check your intonation. If you're REALLY worried you can use lighter strings, but I don't think the guitar is THAT fragile.

EDIT: Realized you were talking about your strings, donepearce is correct.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

Consider how you stretch the living @#$&* out of your strings when you put them on. Alternate tunings are much less demanding.

Tom

ps neat string stretching tool: Stretcha

NoOrangeJuice likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

articulated and cheaper stretching tool:
    [​IMG]

58pit likes this.
  6. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Hey would you look at that? We agree on something.

7. donepearce

If you ever stretch a string, take it off the guitar and throw it away - its temper will be destroyed and it will be useless. When you tug on a string what you are actually doing is pulling out all the loose loops around the tuning pegs that you shouldn't have put there in the first place.

Believe me, you will know instantly if you ever actually stretch a string - you will feel it give, and it will break very soon afterwards.

NoOrangeJuice likes this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yup. The best thing about locking tuners is that they dispense with the need to be so neat. Just stick 'em through the hole, lock and tune. Must be getting lazy in my dotage.

9. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Better tell this guy.

He has probably ruined all of his guitars and should throw them out and just play something safe like a Kazoo.

If you don't want to destroy the "temper" in you strings, don't put your guitar in a kiln after you restring it.

10. Norlin SG

About as useless as L/H chord diagrams.

11. donepearce

I've watched that, and there is plenty in it that is plain wrong. I'm sure he's a good player though.

12. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

He was being pedantic. What he's saying is really that when you "stretch" them you aren't really stretching the metal, just tightening the string around the peg. He means stretch as in to actually change the length of the string.

13. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

I only ask because members talk about the weakness of the SG joint.

14. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. They aren't that delicate.

15. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

Good to know...thanks.

16. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

Perhaps for you. For me, it saves pain that the fibromyalgia I suffer from multiplies by 100X.

Tom

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm one who discusses the weakness of the SG's neck joint, but remember that this
    weak point is also present in any guitar with a mahogany neck and a 17 degree back
    angle at the headstock. So this is not limited to SGs, a large number of other Gibsons
    are subject to it. It's "normal" to the brand, and if you're careful with your instruments
    it isn't anything to worry too much about.

The weakness is in relation to the amount of force the headstock would receive if the
    instrument was leaning on an amp in a pub, and someone in the band was leaping up
    and down on stage and the guitar slipped off the amp and fell on its headstock.

Or if you set it in its stand on an outdoor stage, and a vicious gust of wind came behind the
    stage and pushed things over, including your prized Gibson, which then fell on its face
    on a hard surface.

Rotorhead's right, they aren't that delicate.
    Changing strings from light to heavy, or changing tunings from standard to DADGAD
    or some other cool arrangement... these activities are all within the strength of the
    guitar to withstand. Sometimes when changing string gauge, you'll need to check and
    reset the intonation. But every player needs to know how that works, and be able to do
    it easily. The guitars are made with the adjustment screws we need in order to keep
    them in proper intonation.

After installing new strings, I play it hard for at least a half hour, maybe
    more. That settles everything down pretty well in my experience. I also use
    a mixture of vaseline and powdered graphite to lube the nut slots and the
    bridge saddles, and I install strings with the self locking method (which you can google and learn if you're not using it already).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. Norlin SG

Almost 50 years spankin a plank and making good money along the way, I'd say Joe has paid some dues and knows what he is talking about. So exactly what was incorrect about the vid? His presentation skills? He slipped up some but the intent of what he was trying to relate to was pretty solid.

19. Norlin SG

When you get up in the morning and "stretch" do yo break every bone in your back? Every time you tune up, you are stretching the strings some. Just not to the point that the strings are permanently deformed/damaged.

Joe was being "pedantic" in an attempt to reach as wide an audience as possible with a subject that is somewhat baffling to some. Having a discussion here about using the term "stretching the strings" sure proves that some don't quite get it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  20. 67King

67King Member

I bought my first SG specifically for slide playing in open E. It had the robotuner thing, which I've removed, but I thought its whole purpose was to facility rapid on-the-fly tuning changes. I've changed mine back and forth with no issues. Honestly, I bet moving up to 11's put more additional stress on my neck than any sort of tuning change.