Opinions needed@! Might trade my Orange for a '77 JMP UPDATE: Orange is gone!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Zeppelin Rules, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Re: Opinions needed@! Might trade my Orange for a '77 JMP 2203

way to go zep! And tricone too ;D Maybe a 50 was best? But the responce is different .. a little sower
    And I used a Hiwatt 100 and after my ears bled I switched to a Hiwatt 50 .. the catch was the 50 was louder than the 100 , if that's remotely possible .. but the tone of both was over the top ;) now I like a 45/100 from 66`but that's too loud too whereas a 66` Park 150 w/4- KT88 does everything I want a marshall to do but it's brutally loud and the more you turn it up the better it does it :cry: ..of course an 800 is a totally different sound, it also set up a whole idiom of music within it's time period that took " it " to the next level

2. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I think its probably because of the bad power in my old house, but the amp kinda grumbles when I'm not playing. Anything to be worried about?

A power conditioner perhaps?

3. Voxman

well one way to get the sonic world by the balls is to install an auxillary 6.3 heater transformer and then use a variac to adjust the tone and volume to the likker point what you need it .. the heaters really need to be locked in @ 6.3v while the Variac lowers the power rails into the " brown " area ;D ;)

4. Tricone

Tricone Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=21380.msg256807#msg256807 date=1297570676]
    I think its probably because of the bad power in my old house, but the amp kinda grumbles when I'm not playing. Anything to be worried about?

A power conditioner perhaps?
    [/quote]

Like Vox said. I ended-up purchasing an Amp Maniac, which was recommended by a couple of folks and the ToneQuest Report. Actually, they recommended the Amp Preserver, but the Maniac is the latest iteration. Essentially, it's a variac.

http://shop.vintagesoundworkbench.com/product.sc?productId=5

5. Tricone

Tricone Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=21380.msg256806#msg256806 date=1297570464]
    way to go zep! And tricone too ;D Maybe a 50 was best? But the responce is different .. a little sower
    And I used a Hiwatt 100 and after my ears bled I switched to a Hiwatt 50 .. the catch was the 50 was louder than the 100 , if that's remotely possible .. but the tone of both was over the top ;) now I like a 45/100 from 66`but that's too loud too whereas a 66` Park 150 w/4- KT88 does everything I want a marshall to do but it's brutally loud and the more you turn it up the better it does it :cry: ..of course an 800 is a totally different sound, it also set up a whole idiom of music within it's time period that took " it " to the next level
    [/quote]

Mine's a '73 HiWatt Custom 50 (DR504) with a HiWatt SE4122 4x12 cab. Without the attenuator, I wouldn't be able to play either the HiWatt nor the Marshall! The HiWatt likes about 110VAC, hence the Amp Maniac.

LOVE the sound of my '64 SG Special played through the HiWatt . . . the opening riff of "Won't Get Fooled Again".

6. Tricone

Tricone Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=21380.msg256806#msg256806 date=1297570464]
    ..of course an 800 is a totally different sound, it also set up a whole idiom of music within it's time period that took " it " to the next level
    [/quote]

I've been told and have read that the early vertical input 800s were the same amp as the Master Volume JMP 2203/2204s, but with different cabinet cosmetics. Marshall 's distribution obligation with Rose-Morris ended, and to celebrate, Jim Marshall came out with the JCM 800, with updated cosmetics. The guts were the same. The later horizontal input JCM 800s are when the circuit changed some. (Of course I could be speaking out of my arse). ;)

If I were to do it again, since I have the attenuator, I'd probably go for a non-master JMP or maybe a JTM 45.

7. Voxman

I also use a lot of amps on 110 AC as thats really what they need to see since when they were designed the AC was 110v .. especially tweeds, JMI Vox AC15's which have a little sticker on the power transformer within the amp saying 105 volts .. The Selmers too .. but the trick with them is to play them on 225/245 V's, and AC10's @ 110V
    Now here's the catch .. if you love those amps, British, you are missing the whole trip if you've never played them @ 50 cycles .. where 60 cycles, 120v + here in the US and well , if youy play them at 220v 50 cycles as they were designed and within the parameters of being recorded in the UK .. well, wear a diaper for safety ;D cause, to my ears, they sound much better .. different at best ;)

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

This s[quote author=Voxman link=topic=21380.msg256810#msg256810 date=1297571248]
    well one way to get the sonic world by the balls is to install an auxillary 6.3 heater transformer and then use a variac to adjust the tone and volume to the likker point what you need it .. the heaters really need to be locked in @ 6.3v while the Variac lowers the power rails into the " brown " area ;D ;)
    [/quote]

This is interesting. Is the voltage adjustment the mechanism for volume reduction, or is it attenuating as well as reducing voltage?

9. Voxman

we read the same tonequest .. and you can call him and turn him on to things as you see them too :)

10. Voxman

attenuating is between the output tranny and the speakers while voltage reduction is between the power outlet and the power tranny

11. Tricone

Tricone Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=21380.msg256816#msg256816 date=1297573070]
    I also use a lot of amps on 110 AC as thats really what they need to see since when they were designed the AC was 110v .. especially tweeds, JMI Vox AC15's which have a little sticker on the power transformer within the amp saying 105 volts .. The Selmers too .. but the trick with them is to play them on 225/245 V's, and AC10's @ 110V
    Now here's the catch .. if you love those amps, British, you are missing the whole trip if you've never played them @ 50 cycles .. where 60 cycles, 120v + here in the US and well , if youy play them at 220v 50 cycles as they were designed and within the parameters of being recorded in the UK .. well, wear a diaper for safety ;D cause, to my ears, they sound much better .. different at best ;)
    [/quote]

Wow! Great stuff, Vox!

Question: Do you go for vintage cloth diapers or the convenience of modern disposables (e.g. Pampers, Huggies . . or dare I say . . Depends)? ;)

12. Tricone

Tricone Member

And now I am enlightened on how you hit 13,366 posts, Vox . . . as I was typing a reply, you had already 2-3 more posts hit the thread.

13. Voxman

While heres another ...

I have a 8' bolt of Vox grill cloth so I sew up shorts out of that .. I tried to buy a converter for cycles as the big company's have them in R&D but there just too " dear " as the British say for me , at the moment .. Vox said some amps sound amazin @ 40 cycles .. research it and see what you think as I have a hard time researching that but maybe I can ask some of the rocket guys at the space center but there dexters even thou they play and a little difficult to get thru to ;D :roll: but they'll know what an available converter might be