Opinions on Laney Cub 8

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by MetalSG, Dec 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Hello. Long time no see.

I just picked up a Laney Cub 8 in a store. It has an 8 inch speaker, a 6V6 power tube, and a 12AX7 preamp tube.

I really liked the idea of being able to turn the volume to 6, get a nice crunch, and not make anyone deaf (including my self) at the shop.

I cannot tell if it´s Laney´s own interpretation of the Fender Champ.

Anyway, I would love to hear your comments on this (or other similar) amp:

How does it sound with single coils, P90's or single coil-sized humbuckers?.

How does it take dirt pedals?. Is there a particular one that goes well with it?.

Thanks.

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I haven't played the cub, but I have played one of the Monoprice 5w amps (which are supposedly the same thing). Here's how to make it sound it's best:

1. Grab a guitar with humbuckers.
    2. Turn the volume to 10.
    3. Play hard.

I believe little SS amps are almost universally better than little tube amps for versatile home practice (my go-to being Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2). But nothing - and I mean nothing - gets that "small amp cranked to it's melting point" sound except for a small amp cranked to it's melting point. And the Cub 8 / Monoprice 5W is just perfect for that.

I imagine it would probably sound pretty cool with a mild OD pedal up front (like a Blues Driver or Klon(e)), but I probably wouldn't put a whole board of effects into it. Not that I know - I haven't tried - but effects typically sound better when there's a fair amount of power tube headroom, of which the Cub 8 has very little.

Anyway, enjoy it! It's a cool little amp.

3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Laneys. The first tube amp I bought after getting back into guitar playing was the Cub 12R and I just bought a GH30R combo. I have not tried the Cub 8, but I have played the 10 and almost bought one. It was sort of a tweed deluxe thing, and yes I believe the 8 is a champ sort of design. Looking forward to hearing more as you get to know it.

4. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Thanks. I believe I´ll buy a H/S/S guitar in order to be able to get clean and crunch sounds from it, and maybe a Rat type pedal with 3 clipping modes for OD and distortion flavors. I´ll keep you posted