Opinions on the 2014 Gibson Standard 24 fret?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by warmachine, Nov 14, 2019.

1. warmachine

warmachine Member

Anyone own or have played one? Not much info out there that I've seen. I'm not sure how limited they really are but they had the Firebird style mini hum in the neck and a 57 Classic in the bridge. Seems a cool concept.

2. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Didn't these come with an Iommi Humbucker in the bridge position? But yes, seems like a cool concept!

3. warmachine

warmachine Member

Not sure.

Apparently AMS (American Music Supply) had a version with 57 Classic with a cover w/o exposed polepieces. I don’t know much more on these other than this Youtube video

4. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

It sure looks like an Iommi Humbucker. Notice no adjustable pole pieces. I've never seen a 57 Classic with a cover like that...

5. warmachine

warmachine Member

Gibson took a burstbucker 3 and did the same thing on there Darkfire Les Paul. I dont personally like losing polepiece access.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Why don't they ever talk about neck size/profile ? It is THE one feature I'd like to know about. Eveything else is replaceable if need be.

SGfan84 and Piper68Special like this.
  7. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Interesting...:hmm:

8. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I had one that I bought new from ZZounds.com. The neck profile is very similar to the 2017/2018 SG Standard T. There were examples of these with both the Iommi and the 57 classic with no pole pieces in the bridge. Mine had the 57 classic. The Firebird pu was outrageous in the neck position and many sounds could be obtained. It just felt sterile to me. I think it was the fretwork. Gibson seems to have changed the shape of the frets over the past ten years to a less rounded profile and more of a beveled affair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019