Orange Amps

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Rozman62, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

Anyone need there daily dose of vitamin C? I picked up this Orange Rocker 30 a few weeks ago. The tone is darker than a Marshall but just as articulate. Natural channel has no EQ and takes pedals well. The dirty channel is beautifully voiced and takes a guitar volume knob well. I gigged with my SG last week and this amp delivered the goods. Also takes the edge off strats well. Any other Orange lovers out there?

[​IMG]

58pit, jojo68, MRBIG and 1 other person like this.
  2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

another orange amp fan here! It is a love/hate though... they sound great but orange customer service is really, really bad. Rock on with that amp! Is that a 1x12" cab or a 1x10"

3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

gtone likes this.
  4. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Yep... I'm trying to save up for a Dual Terror!!

5. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

Cab is a 1x12. Head sounds good through my Mesa 2x12 cab. Both have British V30's.

6. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I plan my first big amp to be an Orange Dark Terror. I absolutely love it's sound, and although it doesn't get quite the metal kick I might like, it'll suit all my other rock needs perfectly.

But have any of you heard of the OPC? A PC/amp hybrid built by Orange to satisfy your playing/recording needs? It uses modelling software of course, but it sounds like a mighty handy thing to have for ease of use and compartmentalising (I do love a bit of compartmentalising).

Here is a link: Orange OPC - Orange AmplificationOrange Amplification

7. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

I dig em. I have a RV 100 and 75 OR 120 !

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

not a flame....just an honest question

Are there any Orange amp users that play only on a clean amp sound and play jazz or fusion?

My impression is that they are kick-ass, durable rock amps with a special sound of their own, and are not Vox or Marshall clones. I just don't see them being used a lot for jazz and for other more Fender amp-oriented genres. so far the only bad thing I've heard from owners is the customer service/support is a little shaky at times.

Perhaps I'm wrong in my impressions...please correct me if so.

Moose likes this.
  9. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

The small Orange amps, e.g. Tiny terror, don't have much headroom so clean isn't really an option. That's one of the reasons I sold my TT and bought the Rockerverb.

I have an review that states the RV clean is 'better' than a Marshall clean. I don't know if that's true or even relavent. For me the point is that Orange and probably Marshall can do both but their defined sound is dirt/drive.

I personally use clean/dirty in the following ratio 20/80%. The clean sounds good, is louder, stands out in the mix and is pedal friendly. Also the RV has a great spring reverb.

However, it is not as iconic as a Fender clean. I have owned/played a few fender amps that have drive/clean e.g. Modern twins/ hot rods. Great clean but don't care much for their drive sounds. In my opinion the orange covers both drive/clean better than those Fenders. On the other hand I have a fender Bassman which sounds great clean and breaks up around 5. So some Fender amps do have dual characters with volume (not twins though - you'll go deaf before they distort).

I wouldn't expect to see any players exclusively using an orange clean.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks, Moose, that answered my question very well.

"the point is that Orange and probably Marshall can do both but their defined sound is dirt/drive."

"not as iconic as a Fender clean"

That makes a lot of sense - and explains why I have always been a Fender amp user. But you guys keep rockin' the Oranges, Voxes, and Marshalls.

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Oranges occupy their own niche.
    Just like HIWATTs do.
    They each have that little
    "special something" that they do.
    (I hear they are using HIWATTs
    to exterminate prarie dog colonies
    on cattle ranches in Texas now.....)
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

dbb and Tobacco Worm like this.
  12. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

On my Rocker 30 once I get my clean channel volume past noon it starts to break up. It is fairly loud but if I really jackup the volume in the dirty channel then I now have a volume mismatch or headroom issue on the clean side. Using a MXR 10 band EQ helps balance the clean volume level with the dirty however it becomes fancy footwork stepping on 2 pedals at once. At higher volumes it is far more managable to stay on the dirty channel and taper down your guitar volume knob which is old school but effective. When comparing this method to the clean channel it is not quite as clean but acceptable using a lighter picking touch. If I start a song clean then I tend to use the pedal approach. Mid song clean sections usually are handled at the guitar. Clear as mud? Orange is my new favorite color. Talk about British vintage tonal quality rolled up into a pumpkin with knobs.

Moose likes this.
  13. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Tony, we've kept that a secret until now! It works well on armadillos too!:laugh2:

Wade

14. michael2003x

michael2003x New Member

Orange lover

My home rig= Tiny terror-THD hotplate set to "load" line out to Micro Terror-MG 4x12 cab loaded with greenbacks.............nice.:applause:

15. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Dave, the clean channel on my thunder 30 orange amp sounds very nice thru my strat. I think it coul easily be used for jazz stuff although I'd still pick a fender tube amp for that style music.

I agree that orange seems best suited for rock but the orange does that rock sound really, really well. Just don't rule it out for blues or jazz. In clean channel, orange tube amps can sound pretty nice. You should go to the music store and try one out. I just betcha you will be shocked at how the clean channel on an orange sounds.

Re that new orange computer/amp hybrid... wow that thing looks pretty cool! I wonder how much they are going to cost?

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's good to know you could get a good clean sound out of Orange amps, but it seems the excel at tones with a bit more hair and grit!

17. Wookiee

Wookiee Active Member

I've never plugged into an Orange Amp, but the video reviews I've seen make that they would suit what I need.

My local Mom and Pop stores never have them in stock, and Long & McQuade never usually has any on the floor to mess around with. I'm not currently in the market for an amp, so I never bother to make a special request for one.

18. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

The lower spec version, which my other half assures me is a very decent computer as it is, costs around £800. The higher spec is around £1100. He assures me that both are pretty good PCs in themselves and thus good value for money as they also come with the amp (of course!) and costly software.

I just looked at a review site that investigated the thing thoroughly and if you bought everything it came with separately it would come to about £1300 (for the higher spec) so there are already savings there, not to mention the convenience of having everything in one place.

Col Mustard likes this.
  19. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Nice! I miss my Rockerverb 50

The Rocker 30 is on my list of amps to try. (I say as I've just acquired a new amp)

20. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Gonna dime this bad boy at my gig tomorrow !
    [​IMG]