Orange Amps

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Rozman62, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Another TH30 here. The thing Is a Swiss Army Knife. It'll get you around just about any situation. It actually makes a superb acoustic amp, thanks to the massive amount of clean bass available.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I've never tried my acoustic thru the thunder 30 but will have to give it a try and see how it sounds.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

hey - nice to see you posting! where have you been hiding?

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

same, nice to see you back....if I recall you really like Orange amps...or am I confusing who likes what?

5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

When I test drove my sg last year that was a whacking great big orange amp. Have to say I really liked it. It had some really cool tones. Even though I like the colour I don't think I could like with it for long bit that's not to say It wouldn't be a contender if I was looking for another amp, if o knew witch one it was lol

6. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

Got me thinking about how my acoustic would sound through the Rocker 30 natural channel. Something new to try.

jojo68 likes this.
  7. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

My brother has an Epi Masterbilt Advanced Jumbo with Pure Western Mini pickups. Had my amp on 7 watts and it sounded so good (no preamp on the guitar), he ran out and bought a TH30 just for that purpose. That's an unsolicited testimonial.

8. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Oh my. I've looked up some videos on the TH30 and now I seriously want it. I was going to go for a Dark Terror as my 'dream' amp (I have modest dreams :p) but I think I like the TH30 better and I reckon it's more versatile.

Please can anyone who has one tell me what it's like on the 7W setting and low volumes? Like, TV volumes. Is it possible? I would only use a 1x12 cab probably, or the combo. If it's too loud, what would it be like with an attenuator?

Note: I've only just discovered attenuators and have no idea how well they work, how they affect tone etc.

9. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

You can definitely tone them down if you wish. I used to think it was the loudest 7 watts ever, but I made a discovery. I turned the eq all the way off and it got much quieter...Still sounds awesome, mind you, but the volume went down. These things have biblical amounts of bass and treble. I think the amp is "voiced" and you just use the eq as needed, IMHO. I'm using a Joyo Ultimate Overdrive pedal, and with judicious use of the guitar volume knob, tv volume shouldn't be a problem. Oh yeah, If you turn up the bass and treble half way, it turns into a fire breathing dragon.

Heket likes this.
  10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with The OR 15 vs TH 30 I wanted a Th 30
    but doubt I would ever use the 30wt . So I went to check them out
    last sunday but they didnt have or 15 in stock .
    i would like to hear any pros cons . with both 0R 15 and th 30 I played thru the TH
    several times nice amp plenty headroom imo. several Th 30 demos on you tube
    but there are very few on he Or 15.

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

in the 7 watt position, the TH30 is very managable volume wise. If you want the full gain modern rock sound, that will still get pretty loud even at 7 watts but classic rock or blues tone is very reasonable in 7 watt mode. You can tame the volume even more just by subbing out the tube for a lower gain model. I love my thunder30 combo. If only orange had decent customer service, I'd say they are the best thing going. Their customer service is the pits however so I will always have a love/hate thing with them. Love the sound they make but hate the fact their customer service is so poor. By poor, I mean a call to their tech section may take a few weeks to get a response! Compare that to marshall vox or mesa who will respond usually within a day and in the case of mesa... you can actually talk to a tech directly during business hours.

Heket likes this.
  12. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Thanks Orf yeah bizz in todays world sucks seems Im in a constant battle with banks and merchants who just dont do things the fair square way anymore. I make A mistake I pay thats fair. They make A mistake I pay
    oh hell no LOL!!!!!. Well I can get the 15 head for 699. the 30 is 1199.
    almost half the price and I think the 15 would be just fine for me as
    I have a 15 and 20 wt tube amps I cant ever crank past 10 oclock anyway.

13. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Thanks Sootio and ORF. I think that TH30 would probably be borderline for me in terms of loudness, especially as I'm a high-gainer a lot of the time, but hey I can try. I just need to save up! It's going to be a long time before I am able to afford it if I use my "points mean prizes" system (1 hour of playing = £1 to spend on gear) so at least I should be able to at least play something good for my neighbours :D

You know, I wish I hadn't have told my other half about that scheme. It'd take a lot less time for me to save the money than save the hours. Bah! My little Yammy THR5 is ok, but sometimes I feel the need for a little... more.

Frank, I totally forgot about the OR15. I wonder what the gain is like on that? The TH30 attracted me because it can go all the way up to metal tones. I'll try to find some videos later.

14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

See if this helps. Having only inherited my Altair Attenuator with my Marshall acquisition I have no experience with others. However, it was interesting to learn mine was the original.

http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/ua_downloads/AttenuatorHistory.ppt

15. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I have an Altair too!
    It's in there with all the other old stuff.

Actually, it wasn't the original original.
    To the best of my knowledge (*yawn*)
    the Altair was the first production model.

The original original was a piece of NiChrome wire from an
    old toaster laying in a pyrex baking dish and hooked up to
    the speaker outputs on a Fender Blackface Bassman head.
    (Not sure if it was series or parallel with the speaker cabinet.)
    An engineer named Jerry Garszva (look him up -
    Grammy winner - Gaucho, Steely Dan)
    had the idea well over 40 years ago.
    He tried it.
    It worked.
    No patent.
    Oops.

16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Some orange amps vids. Hekett unless you like CHUNK or death metal
    LOL I think the OR 15 will get it! its same circuit as dark terror just voiced
    different. Here is some orange stuff. all with chief designer Adain Elmsley
    I love this guy he is straight out Of spinal tap!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ofkJrD3Z8"]NAMM 2012: Orange Micro Terror, OR15H and more - YouTube[/ame]
    And same guy in 08 LOl looking more like bon scott
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrGO4lTcZYI[/ame]

17. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Hmm interesting. My tastes don't go quite as extreme as death metal, although I do like classic heavy metal. My issue with amps that aren't typically high gain I have to push the gain up quite far, which of course pushes the volume up and I end up with something where the master volume can barely get past 1. My HT-1R I managed to to about 9 o'clock on the master, and that's 1 measly watt!

I prefer the sound of the more 'vintage' Oranges I think, but I may just have to go with a Dark Terror. I'm guessing that as it starts out with a good amount of gain that it won't be as loud? Or is that not the case? is the dirt/volume ratio a fixed thing? I currently know very little about amps :dunno: (although I know an awful lot more than I knew last week!)

18. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

I don't use my TH30 for chunk or heavy metal, but the capability is there. I don't think the OR15 has massive amounts of headroom, but I haven't actually played one.

19. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

I've found you can get classic rock tones out of the new orange amps.

20. zone47

zone47 Member

Oranges are good for you. :) I went through a phase on time ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dunno: