Orange Micro Dark

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by The Senate, Mar 3, 2019.

1. The Senate

The Senate New Member

Hey all, question for ya. Anyone have experience with the Orange Micro Dark amp head. Specifically with an SG equipped with 61’s. My skills as a player are limited to impressing friends and family that know nothing about playing a guitar. I’m also not a big fan of too many pedals. Maybe a a Tube Screamer or an over drive. What are your opinions.

2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

First question I would ask you: What are you looking for... And what are you looking to do with it?

I have one. I use it with my SGJ (2x 490s) and an SG3 Faded (3x 490s) and also a Framus Renegade equipped with SD SH-1 / SH-4.
    but alas, I have no SG equipped with 61's.

My opinion (for what it may be worth): It's an excellent amp for the price. The gain knob works, the volume knob works, the shape knob works. It has an effects loop and can offer you a simulated 4x12 Orange cab through the headphone jack (if that is of interest).

Plugged into the 1x6" (??) cab it came with it can be a tame practice amp.

Plugged into a Palmer 2x12, it will loosen the brickwork along with your fillings and give your neighbours a permanent headache.

Pros: IT CAN BE EXTREMELY LOUD... It's small and lightweight. It has a blue light (!!!). It has that "Orange tone" (if that's what you are going for).

Cons: IT CAN BE EXTREMELY LOUD... It lacks reverb, but this can be addressed with a pedal. If you don't like pedals, you might want to look elsewhere...

If your question is if it is a good practice amp: I would say no... and yes:

No, not if you are looking for a flexible combo amp/cab that offers different effects etc.

Yes, If you are looking for a practice amp that can also be used at a gig (or as a backup) without blinking an eye.

The Senate likes this.
  3. fos1

fos1 Member

I purchased the Micro Dark a couple of months ago after a fair amount of experimentation. I needed a small portable amp that I could use while travelling on business. I am limited to one suitcase and a Gator hard case for my no name SG. The Mirco Dark is the only small amp I found that could drive my headphones loud enough for my senior citizen ears to hear clearly. I wear hearing aids but they generate severe feedback when I wear headphones.

The Dark has a very good clean sound into a speaker. With the gain set at 10 o'clock and the shape set to "my" sweet spot which is about 9 o'clock it sounds good and can get very loud. Running it through my Katana Artist 12" speaker, it sounds very good.

With the headphones it is not quite so good but good enough for traveling.

For my purpose it is small, lightweight, portable and it's metal construction is rugged.

It is a great, simple, practice amp and more if you are willing to try it out.

fos1

Hector and The Senate like this.
  4. ungarn

ungarn Member

It is a very cool amp, does that orange thang and takes pedals well. Would not want it to be my only amp though.

Hector, fos1 and The Senate like this.
  5. The Senate

The Senate New Member

6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

It's a good choice if you've already got a good cab to plug into... But it's a bit of a one-trick pony, and it's pretty fizzy and boxy with the PPC108 cab. By the time you add the cost of the Micro Dark to the cab, I'd just as soon jump for the Crush 35RT. 35 watts, 10" speaker, 2 channels, 4-stage analog gain circuit, full EQ, reverb, tuner, footswitch jack, and effects loop. Less than 300 bucks. Super light and does the Orange sound very, very well. A little more versatile, too. I have a friend who does some semi-pro session work and plays in a band and at church and this is his go-to practice amp.
    [​IMG]

fos1 and Hector like this.
  7. El Mike

El Mike New Member

I have one. It goes through a 112. It's loud. With my Hamer Special Jr it has a creamy Santana tone. One trick pony but what a wonderful trick!

fos1 likes this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I have the Orange Micro Terror, and love the tone.
    The Micro Dark is like the Micro Terror, but more so in every way.
    So I think it's a good choice for any guitar.
    Luna & Orange 17@100.jpg
    I play any of my electrics through my Micro Terror, and they all
    sound excellent. Gibson mini hums, Gibson '57 classics, Fender
    Wide Range Humbuckers, Rose P-90s... no problem.

My pedal board includes a tuner, an EQ, a Blues Driver
    and a Reverb pedal. The Orange amp works great with those, and I
    don't use them all at the same time, of course.

I run my Micro terror through a couple of home made cabs which
    have bigger speakers than the small one they normally show with these
    tiny amps. The Orange amp head looks like a toy, but it it NOT.
    Mine gets loud enough to rattle the crockery downstairs, driving an
    8 Ohm cabinet with a 10" and a 12" speaker.
    Orange tall rig@100.jpg
    You can see that I like my Orange amp head enough to have made a little wooden stand for it and its power supply. This keeps me from pulling it off the top of the cab, and onto the floor or some other gear if I'm moving about when I play.

The only problem with that might be proximity of the amp and the
    transformer. They put that on a long cable for a reason. But at the levels
    I play in practice, it's not an issue.

fos1 and pancake81 like this.
  9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Nice wood work Col

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

weeelllllll...... I confess that I bought those nice looking cabs empty, bare wood, and put the stain and varnish on them... So I didn't do the precision cutting... I did screw the speakers in... and staple the black fabric on (cut from an old black sheet that was ripped). I mounted the corner hardware, and the handles...

Sorry if I implied that I performed the fine woodwork. I did build the rough and ready 1/10 + 1/12 cabinet out of scrap plywood, and painted it theater black. *grins That didn't require much more than a circular saw and a jig
    saw. I've got better corners on it now, and it's a good home for those two
    speakers.

My work on the wooden stand for the Orange amp was not much more
    elegant, but it's effective, and keeps the amp from moving around.
    It's all scrap lumber.
    base front@100.jpg Ready 02b@100.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019