Original 1961 Les Paul SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by pioneer, May 17, 2007.

1. jazzfusion sg

jazzfusion sg Member

I have an original Les Paul-SG 1961, too. Some years ago I contacted Gibson about the number stamped on the back of the head. It had only four digits, which made some guitar "experts" say that it was a fake. But no; Gibson actually found that number for a guitar that was shipped from the factory in 26 March 1961.

It´s a dream to play: very low action and a sound to die for. I bought it in 1976 and the original tuners were already changed to Grovers chrome Rotomatics. Since it was drilled for Grovers I later put in some Grovers 135N; the same size as Grovers but the look of Klusons. The original plastic nut broke in the early -80s, and I couldn´t see the value of putting in another one. If it should be vintage: why not use a 20 000 year old mammuth nut? THAT´S vintage, I said to myself. Maybe the sustain became slightly better with the mammuth ivory nut, but I´m not sure. Otherwize my LPSG -61 is all original.

2. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

That's a piece of history, indeed!

3. 61LPSG

61LPSG New Member

Nice looking SG(LP), great condition.