P-90 and Mini Humbucker Combo

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cerebral gasket, Feb 17, 2018.

1. drown

drown Well-Known Member

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That’s correct.

3. Les537

Les537 New Member

Greetings. (First post)

I just bought a 2018 SG special (long time LP player who saw the light). The natural finish. It came with mini buckers that I have been trying to research and it looks like they are of the firebird type with no screws in the coil.

To my ears they sound pretty good with some gain, but next to useless for a nice spanky clean tone (my usual sound). A lot of things I read said they are more treble then a PAF, but to me they sound like less treble and less bass. They bloom very nice when you hit them hard, but I don't really like how they react to soft touch, I mean they are very dynamic, but very narrow in freq response. I'll note that I also do not care for full size PAF - too bassy and terrible at cleaning up.

I have an old LP special with p90s. They compare like this :

p90 is like someone threw an ice pick at a sheet of glass - in a good way! They sound just awesome with a loud tube amp and very moderate preamp gain. They sound completely fantastic when you throw fuzz/gain at them.

SG minis are way hotter. They sound like a p90 with a overdrive pedal turned on and bass and treble turned down.

I'm leaving the guitar as it is for now, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before p90s invade the axe. I can confirm that the '18 guitar comes with the metal plate under the pickup with holes for both p90 and minis.

My advice to OP is use a mini in the bridge if you play with lots of gain. Otherwise put some p90 in both holes.

4. cerebral gasket

Greetings.

I agree and ended up with mini in the bridge and P-90 in the neck because I prefer hi gain without 60 Hz in the bridge and P-90 cleans in the neck. The minis in this 2016 are not hot (6.3K and 7.2K). It's odd that others are seeing DCR in the teens on their minis on these recent models.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Hi Les537, welcome here.

Your description doesn't sound like what I hear from the neck mini on my VM Squier Tele. I find it fits right in between a single coil and a PAF and it cleans real nice. I kinda like it.

Have you tried playing with their height. Mine sits flush with the pickguard, if not lower (I don't have the Tele with me as I write this). A lot of people misjudge their pups because they're not at their best at the height they are set.

6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Strange. Gibson's own webpage for the model states the ultra-high DCR. Screenshot here:

[​IMG]

I've never confirmed this with a voltmeter, but never felt compelled to, since the tonality of the pickups in mine seem consistent with these numbers: brash, loud, overly compressed, and driving amps and pedals much, much harder than the GFS Mean 90s in my Epiphone G400 Pro.

So far, the Katana is the only amp I've tried that's managed to massage these fire-breathers into something that sounds sparkly clean. I need to confirm the DCR next chance I get, but it sounds like you got something unique here, possibly accidentally?

7. cerebral gasket

Strange indeed, but a happy accident it is. The volume levels balance out between the neck P-90 and bridge mini humbucker really well with this combo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. Les537

Les537 New Member

Yes. I've moved them up and down. They clean up a bit when lowered, but you lose the bass and they become almost too thin and lose the nice bloom they have. IMO they are too hot.

I'm not giving up on them - don't need all my guitars to sound the same, but this SG is so hard to put down. Of the 50 or so guitars I've owned this is the first thing to fight my '97 LP special (p90 bridge, p100 neck) for number 1 status. Why didn't anyone tell me about SGs 20 years ago? It's like a LP on easy mode :D

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Don't you go thinking this is your last SG. The disease has just begun spreading in your brain. Don't fight it, resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated.

cerebral gasket and Notabot like this.