P 90 question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by MrM, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MrM

MrM New Member

I have a newly acquired 71 Gibson Pro with P90 Gibson ‘stamped’ pups, in between the pole piece screws there are two screw holes that are empty, looking at photos of similar Gibsons a lot of these screws are missing, some are not. Does anybody know the correct screw that goes in here and what is it for? Thanking you in advance. :-)

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Honestly o couldn’t tell you. But there have been very in depth threads on pups on the forum and I know some of the gurus will jump in and help.

Some photos always help clarify a question and eliminate a lot of the back and forth

syscokid and MrM like this.
  3. NomeX

NomeX Member

I think I know what you're talking about, I just looked up some pics of the model you mention. Usually those holes are used to mount the P-90's in guitars without pickup rings. Seeing some photos of 1971 SG Pros, I notice there is a pickup ring on those P-90's, and the pups look like they mount on those rings like a humbucker, thus eliminating the need for the two center screws between the pickup poles/screws. All of my P-90 guitars (SG and G-400) mount with the center screws.

That's my guess.

Biddlin and MrM like this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Yes, the two holes are used to screw the pickup directly into the body. Some Gibson P90 guitars came with P90s that had tabs on the sides of the baseplate to accommodate the mounting screws on the side like most HB have. I've seen it on some full pickguard SGs.

Biddlin and MrM like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The two holes are for installing the P-90 directly to the body with wood screws for SG equipped with small guard and no pickup mounting rings, or for installing P-90 to brass baseplate with long machine screws and nuts. The baseplates have side tabs to hang the pickups from batwings the same method humbuckers are installed on batwings.

In the case of the 1971 SG Pro, those P-90's have pickup mounting rings and would more than likely use the brass baseplate to hang the pickups from the mounting rings the same method as humbuckers that use pickup mounting rings. I'm not certain how those holes on yours would be empty if the pickups have mounting rings which would require a baseplate with side tabs. Please post pics to clarify.

Pictured below are P-90's installed on a batwing with the brass mounting plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Col Mustard, Daniel.S and Roca like this.
  7. MrM

MrM New Member

Fantastic information thanks guys. It needs a new pickguard any idea where I’ll obtain the spacer for it?

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Spacer ?

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I think he means the mounting plate...
    Try Allparts, and try Warmoth, and try Philadelphia Luthier tools and supplies,
    and try StewMac.

But we need photos to understand the whole situation.

10. cerebral gasket

It needs a new pickguard any idea where I’ll obtain the spacer for it?

"it" referring to the guard, correct?

Since the guard is not mounted flush to the body of the 1971 SG Pro, and is above the pickup mounting rings, you could fabricate spacers to fit around the screws to the guard from round stock to have the guard floating at the correct height.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    MrM and Col Mustard like this.
  11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I forgot about the pick guard on the '71s...

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. MrM

MrM New Member

Yeah spacers to lift the scratchplate from the body as was intended- photos to come

13. plankton

The pickguard is not flush and is floating on spacers? That's strange, why did they do that?

EDIT: Just Googled it and see what's going on, it's the LP style guard with the top-mounted control cavity cover. Although I still don't get why they didn't just mount it flush.

14. cerebral gasket

Perhaps you could start a new thread with the question "Are pickguards necessary?" and have a poll.

What is even more strange is the P-90's with mounting rings. It makes sense having the rings to allow for the P-90's height to be adjusted like humbuckers, but you don't see mounting rings on P-90's very often.

There was a lot of experimenting during the Norlin Era. We are seeing features from that era such as small block inlays and volutes coming back on the recent model SG Specials. Why not bring back the Harmonica bridge while they're at it? And why no love for the witch hat knobs?

The recent SG Specials with mini humbuckers are routed the same method as the original SG Specials with P-90's, but have a baseplate that is screwed into the wood at the bottom of the cavity that has holes tapped for machine screws in both locations (middle and ends) to accept either P-90's or mini humbuckers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  15. plankton

Ha, I imagine that poll would draw all kinds of opinions. Personally I don' find them necessary, but I do like the contrast they provide on some guitars, while others look better without. So sometimes aesthetically pleasing but functionally useless.

Looking at the early 70's pickguard arrangement, I reckon they were either using up old stock or didn't want to spend the money to re-tool and are using guards designed/cut to fit P90s without mounting rings. Makes sense from a cost standpoint, but like you said, why mounting rings in the first place?

sg pro.JPG

Personally I love the look and feel of witch hats. I'd really like a faded brown, large guard P90 SG with witch hats. Might be my next purchase.

Those baseplates are a great idea!

16. cerebral gasket

I purchased some Witch Hats not too long ago that were attached to a 1970 SG Junior. It came with a batwing and had a really nice worn finish that is dark cherry, almost brown or maybe a cross between the two like maroon. P-90's are awesome!

[​IMG]

Have not taken it apart since I have taken delivery of it. Did a string change tonight and was delighted to find that it was routed for a single P-90 and no swimming pool.

[​IMG]

And while we're discussing P-90's, here's a closeup of the one from the Junior pictured above with its baseplate attached.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    plankton and MrM like this.
  17. plankton

Love it, the finish is amazing and the lighting bolt wraparound tailpiece (intonated for a wound 3rd?) is my favourite style of bridge.

That thing must rock so hard! :dude: :bowdown: