P90's vs Buckers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by RollnROCK89, Jan 15, 2005.

1. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

It seems that P90's are quite popular in SG's, Ive heard a lot about them lately, especially Fralins. How are they different compared to humbuckers? What kind of sound are they used to get? Thanks.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Compared to HB's, p90's are bitier, more agressive, sometimes louder (higher output), and from what I can see, they have this huge solid bottom end, lots of mids and a good amount of highs too.

Lets say, less highs than a Strat or Tele, way huge output though. Doesn't sound like a Strat or Tele at all... they have their own unique sound.

P90s are single coils... one huge coil that is wide and low.

A p90's in the neck is sorta jazz-guitar sounding at times, solid bottom, fat mids... sparkly but not very smooth.

A p90 in the bridge - one wound sufficiently to keep up with the neck - is mean sounding, sometimes called raw sounding. Its like it takes your amps front end and slaps it in the face a bit.

I nearly got some Fralins for my SG. I ended up with Gibsons, and I'm happy.... but using the knowledge I have, I'd probably get some Fralin's next time on account of his custom winding being available.

Lindy is a rock-a-billy player using an ES137 (or was it an ES135?). Anywy he likes hollow bodies and a fairly clean sound. His favs are -10percent on the neck and stock on bridge. The more I explore, the more I think I'd like maybe -5 neck and +10 bridge for playing blues or more distorted rock. The overwound bridge will be just a bit darker (not a bad thing when you're distorted) and the -5 neck will clean up nicely. The bridge would also allow you to set the bridge pickup a bit lower and still have it a bit more powerful than the neck pickup.

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I love my buckers but I've definitely become a p-90 affectionato! 8)

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Yeah... both are great, just way different, each very cool.

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Ok guys, dumb question... What happens if you try to put one of each on the same guitar? Will it give you a selection choice of sound or just not work? Or is it "just not done". :?:

(By the way I am currently auditioning in our local theater groups production of "Dumb and Dumber".. I'm going for the part of Dumber... :lol: )

6. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

You need some Dumbuckers then?

Its very doable. A hot p90 in the bridge, and maybe a mini-hum in the neck... could be a cool combo. Most (not all) p90's are as loud or louder than a mini-hum. They share the same route too (if you use the mini hum ring) but have different mounting methods.

7. Six String

Right on the Dumbuckers CB.... :lol:

So there could be a balance problem with the two, sound wise... or volume wise. But it could be a cool possibility for a lead player.... ?

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I think if you had say... a fralin +10 in the bridge, or a Duncan hot soapbar in the bridge or custom soapbar in the bridge, you'd be just fine. Even with the stock gibson you'd probably not be too bad, but the mini hum will set a bit lower and the p90 will be higher.

I dont think the minihum in the bridge, soapbar neck would be as nice, personally, unless your neck soapbar was sort of mild, and your minihum was a hot one.

9. Six String

And that comes from the hand of experience I'm sure. Good info. 8)

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Well... no... really it comes from my taste... playing mostly blues.

11. paradox

paradox Active Member

seems a few folks here have gotten classics with P-90's...

Has anyone has reqretted getting an SG with P-90s? I'm seriously considering a classic, but I have never played P-90's before. (There were none to be had a the local music store so I could try them - well except for the squire tele with P-90s that I stayed away from). So there's no try before you buy.

Just wondering how you guys like em...

12. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I have not regretted getting a P-90 SG one bit...... I love them! In fact, based on my experience with my P-90 SG, I bought a P-90 Les Paul!

I like them better, overall than HBs.

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

So far, so good. BTW, the price has dropped at MF.