PCB-board neutralized!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Ray, May 4, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yep, its out! rsz_20190504_190451.jpg

The reason was: After I had a 'pro" swap my stock 61 pu's with a Bare Knuckles Riff Raff and a DiMarzio EJ Custom for the neck, there has been times when Ive used the pu switch and suddenly, the bridge pu has been dead. A flick of the switch and the axe worked perfectly... Go figure..

Yeah, gotta mention that that pro just snipped the leads from the 'pc-plug' on the PCB and connected them to the new pu leads. I wasnt expecting that..
    When I experienced this switch/dead pu the first times, I got suspicious and opened the cavity shield. And well, I discovered that some of those lead-wires from the pu's looked wrongly connected - that "pro" messed up or didnt bother checking the webz for the color codes, so I got my money back and installed the pu's myself.
    But the problem with the switch/dead pu stayed with me..

This problem with the switch/dead pu always happened out of the blue, and did maybe happen 10 times in six months... And few flicks of the switch always fixed that... very weird.. So this hasnt really been a big issue, but lately its been getting worse. I have looked into that cavity so many times, without finding the troublemaking component. But after I fiddled a bit with the switch I DID suspect it was a malfunctioning..

3 days ago it was a whole week until we were getting in the studio to record the new SKADA-album, so thought: Come hell or high water, I getting that PCB and that switch outI And I better get going!

So I bought the last (!) SG-upgrade kit they had in Norway, from gitarist.no (a WDMusic kit with four CTS pots (500's) and wires etc.) watched Youtube tutorials, and did the 50s wiring myself. And I think it turned out OK. (A few wires could have been placed a little different, but hey, its my first harness-wiring.)

rsz_rsz_20190502_220914.jpg
    (That red plastic is there to make the cavity shield stay better in place, the holes for the screws went to far in so the screws would not stay in.)

That old "bumblebee" cap was something I got as a bonus when I bought the JetCity amp from a guy. I was suspecting a had cooked one on the the caps (dont know if did, it looked bad) so I decided to give this bumblebee cap a shot. And it works just fine!

And already now, with low volumes on my little 5 Watt JetCity, I can hear a difference with the new pots. Theres more treble now, which is what wanted, in addition to a 24/7 non-stop perfectly functioning geetar. Also I like how the 50s wiring allows the treble to stay with me when I roll down the volume for semi-clean sounds. (I dont do squeaky clean sounds, hehe)

Have added a pickup cover on the neck pu since last time as well.
    rsz_20190504_182118.jpg

Retrop, Worblehat, koaguilds and 3 others like this.
  2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Looking good!

Good to have you back on the forum!

Ray likes this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Damn you, by the way! I was planning on getting an SG wiring harness from gitarist.no. Now I have to buy it elsewhere!:D

chilipeppermaniac and Ray like this.
  4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks, man! :) And yeah, Im glad to be back, too.:)

And yeah, gitarist.no wrote me that they will not sell any more of these sets for SGs, only sets for Marauders, Moderns and Corvuses.
    Have you ever heard such nonsense? ;)

5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

What? They will sell sets for all the guitars no one has? Strange, indeed! But I guess they will still sell all the individual parts needed to wire upan SG?

6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

If they won't get any more SGkits, theres always a few Corvuses out there waiting for new owners!:D

Jokes aside, I bet gitarist.no is gonna get more SG kits in a few weeks. Otherwise they surely have the parts. I'm crossing guitarnecks for you, buddy. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Gahr likes this.
  7. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Member

WEW, sunburst, that thing's a beaut! I've heard great things about the Riff Raff, specifically this thread on another forum:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/bare-knuckle-pickups-jimmy-page-sound.104651/

Pickups are nice and all, but hotdamn, that guitar seriously looks sweet! The standard cherry or ebony on a small pickguarded SG I don't think fit, at least to my eyes, but sunburst and ivory both hit the mark somethin' fierce! Glad everything works properly now, too.

8. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Damn Norwegians

Gahr likes this.
  9. chilipeppermaniac

10. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I actually bought a harness a few weeks ago and installed it in my 2018 Standard. I had no problems with the stock PCB, but I had a set of late 60s T-Tops that I wanted to try in the guitar, so I swapped the harness as well.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

12. chilipeppermaniac

Gahr, on my 4 SG's, only my Classic with P90s has the PCB in it. The others have either CTS, Gibson logo, or Bourns 500k ( I swapped into my Faded ) and did 50's wiring.

Gahr likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The volume control is a potentiometer that functions as a voltage divider and the tone control consists of a potentiometer and cap that functions as a low pass filter.

There is no pre-amplification happening with a passive circuit.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019