Pearly Gates or '59 in my SG Standard

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Jonny Mangia, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Jonny Mangia

Jonny Mangia Member

I'm looking for a vintage PAF sound, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton Cream/Blues Breakers, Black Sabbath etc.
    I was considering the following combos:

'59 bridge '59 neck
    '59 brdige Pearly Gates Neck

Any ideas?

2. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

I love the Duncan 59's and the Pearly Gates is great too, it's basically a 59 with Alnico II mags. Either setup will sound great! :)

3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

What he said.... and you can return pickups so......

4. NZpunk

NZpunk Member

I have a Pearly Gates in the neck of my Epi G-400 and love it.
    Looks pretty ace in the zebra stripe as well.. 8)

5. dan_nazarian

dan_nazarian New Member

I've got an Epiphone G-400. I just put a '59 bucker into the neck and put a pearly gates into the bridge. I kinda wanted it the other way around but that's all they had at the store. Very cool sounds from both but it's going to take some getting used to. I guess I was really used to the crappy original stock pickups and their muted sound. These new pickups are louder and kinda noisier, so I have to do more damping while I play. Of the two, I like the 57 a little better. The Pearly Gates is a tad too trebly for my taste. (Maybe it's because of the guitar? The guy who installed the pickups looked at the guitar and said it was made of either maple or alder. wha?).

6. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

I never liked the PG in the bridge of an SG . . . tried it in three or four different ones and was just plain disappointed every time
    . . . it is a very sweet neck pickup though

I'd go with a '59 in the bridge, and maybe a PG in the neck . . . the combination of Alnico II and V pups will give you a nice range of vintage tones

7. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

i know a kid who uses a pearly gates in the neck posistion of his tele.. that pickup rips :coolsmiley:

8. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=3297.msg106765#msg106765 date=1147719427]
    I'd go with a '59 in the bridge, and maybe a PG in the neck .[/quote]
    I agree, the PG bridge would be a bit bitey, but its a killer neck pup. The 59 is a little bigger in the bottom and would suit the bridge spot better.

9. LOTF

LOTF Member

What about the JB? From what I understand, it's hotter than the '59 but wouldn't have quite the edge of the PG. I am seriously considering one for the bridge position in my Epi AlleyKat.

10. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

[quote author=LOTF link=topic=3297.msg106869#msg106869 date=1147746624]
    What about the JB?  From what I understand, it's hotter than the '59 but wouldn't have quite the edge of the PG.  I am seriously considering one for the bridge position in my Epi AlleyKat.
    [/quote]

Yikes! I don't know 'bout a JB in any of the Kat's . . . might prove rather difficult to control in hollow bodied guitar . . . I think I might try a '59 first
    . . . you'd be surprised at what a great pup the '59 is . . . it has very nice cleans and handles distortion with great finesse
    most people never consider the cheap 'ol SD '59 . . . it has to be one of the most underrated pups of all time, and has always been one of my favorites

11. paradox

paradox Active Member

I had a '59/JB combination in an SG for a while. I really liked the '59, but the JB just wasn't right for me.. a little to bright/thin maybe? I probably should have gone with two '59's. In another guit, I used two good old Dimarzio PAF's and I think it sounds just right. I imagine a pair of '59's would be just what I like as well - I may very well toss a set in my SG standard.

12. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

Dox, I a have a pair of '59's in my G-400 and it sounds great . . . cheap as it all is, it's still probably the best sounding of all my SGs

13. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=3297.msg106872#msg106872 date=1147748001]
    Yikes!  I don't know 'bout a JB in any of the Kat's . . . might prove rather difficult to control in hollow bodied guitar . . . I think I might try a '59 first
    . . . you'd be surprised at what a great pup the '59 is . . . it has very nice cleans and handles distortion with great finesse
    most people never consider the cheap 'ol SD '59 . . . it has to be one of the most underrated pups of all time, and has always been one of my favorites
    [/quote]

Hmmm...you may have a pretty good point there. I pretty much intend to use the 'Kat for mellower sorts of stuff anyway as I've got both an SG and a Tele that both scream. The '59 with an SM-1 in the neck position may well be the way to go.

14. wildelectric

wildelectric Member

OR you cold try a Seth Lover in either position. Sure, you'll feedback like a beast anywhere within 10 feet of the amp, but work things right and you'll have sweet tone to spare.

15. LOTF

LOTF Member

The neck position is routed for a mini-humbucker so I couldn't use a Seth Lover or any other full-sized hummer unless I wanted to rout it out (and with a semi-hollow, that could be a real difficult chore).  Besides, one of the things I really like about the AlleyKat is the mini-hb in the neck which gives it 2 distinctive sounds.  I think the SM-1 (Seymour's most traditionalist mini) is my lock for the neck position but I may consider the Seth Lover for the bridge.

16. wildelectric

wildelectric Member

Ah, you're looking for the mini buckers. Don't know much about them. they do sound good with the amp at 10, though...

:(