Pearly Gates

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Roca, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Roca

Roca Active Member

I have a 2016 66 reissue and I am thinking about some pearly gates for both pickup replacement. Let me know what you guys think. Post some videos and audio too. I will be running it through a ID core 10.

living room rocker likes this.
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I can't help with the Pearly Gates as I have no personal experience, although I'm generally not a fan of alnico 2 pickups in an SG. What are you looking to improve on sound wise?

If you make the switch you can send me your stock pickups and I'll give them a good home.

Roca likes this.
  3. Roca

Roca Active Member

I seen Billy Gibbs had a sg so I was just curious.

4. UTGrad

UTGrad New Member

I highly recommend the Whole Lotta Humbuckers for the SG. The Alnico V magnets are a great match for the solid mahogany SG body and rosewood finger board. I have a set in my 1966 Epi SG.

5. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Pearly Gates is one of the best in the SD lineup IMHO - nice for classic rock, roots rock, R&B, reggae, blues, etc. PU's with Alnico II mags tend to have a bit softer top and bottom end response and a little less output than those with Alnico V mags, smoother and sweeter with all other things being equal. They're equally good in bridge and neck positions of guitars made from mahogany, korina and similar tonewoods.

Try 'em, you might just dig 'em too!

Roca, living room rocker and UTGrad like this.
  6. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I've got a '16 Epi G400 Pro and installed Pearly's both bridge and neck 4 months ago. Love 'em! Crystal clear bell like tones on the bridge; soft and creamy on the neck. I'm new enough to guitar (1 1/2 years) that I'm not experienced nor qualified enough to critique w/authority, but these Pearly's do everything I could ever ask. Although I've not learned to strike them with consistent ease, they do possess the potential for awesome pinch harmonics. They're described as vintage sounding with a bite; I'd say that's a reasonable description. Everything from a country twang, a gnarly AC/DC bite, or soft creamy Clapton woman tone......they can bring it. I believe you'll be happy w/your choice.

gtone likes this.
  7. BubbaV0

BubbaV0 New Member

Is this the tone you're chasing?

Roca likes this.
  8. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Not an SG, but I have one in my 78 L6s. Love it to death for that wonderful neck richness, and that awesome ping from artificial harmonics. Blends nicely with the Lawrence XL500 in the bridge.

9. Roca

Roca Active Member

Yeah, I like that gritty, bluesy rock sound.

gtone likes this.
  10. BubbaV0

BubbaV0 New Member

You can hear BG's guitar focused in the mids. Especially when compared to the other guitar players. So light strings (777s as BG put it in the video - lol) and Pearly Gates will get you on your way.

Roca likes this.