Peavey moving everything to China

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Dave_Death, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Are people aware that the Peavey 6505 and 6505+ heads are now being made in China? It seems like at the beginning of last year production was moved. If those have moved then the Classic series must be moving too, and that's the end of Peavey being made in the USA.

The 6534+ head seems to have disappeared from places like Thomann online. I can only presume that it did not survive the move to China. It was not a big seller. The 6505 212 combo went that way some years ago when production of the new 6505+ 112 combo began in China. The 6534+ was intended as a competitor to ENGL but was poorly marketed. I wonder what will happen to the 3120 and XXX2?

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41485

A photo found on sevenstring.org:

[​IMG]

2. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

My iphone, my ipad, my TV, my Vox, all things made in China. No complaints.
    My Eminence, my Epiphone, my Celestion, my mics, my stereo. No complaints
    My p0rn is asian, my car is asian, my Rosetta stone is chinese. No complaints.

:) :) :) :D :p

ninjaking67, seizure and Tony_Orto like this.
  3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

My wife was made in Korea...but China would have been OK too.

As for goods, I would love to stay away from "Made in China", but I like stuff and there is not much that's made elsewhere...I look and compare and I try...

As for Peavey, I have made sure not to buy their stuff since the Undercover Boss episode...

RVA, Bettyboo, ScottMarlowe and 3 others like this.
  4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I dated a Made In China girl.....her family couldnt handle the mixed relationship----gifted and remedial---

Well good timing for me........I JUST scored a VERY nice 81 PEavey T-15 ---Made in USA
    Solid good working condition including the amp in case!!! I can SMELLL the 80's baby
    [​IMG]

Sweetums, RVA, milesdeem and 3 others like this.
  5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

sad to see all the US companies moving production overseas. It is way too deep a subject to get into here but it is very sad indeed to see so many great US made products totally shift overseas. The list that have done it is so long that it is much easier to mention the companies that haven't done it yet.

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Hell yeah I'm aware of it. It was on the local news last year. I had friends that lost their jobs.

As far as Hartley Peavey goes, lets just say that when the undercover boss episode came out, nobody was surprised. Not a bit.

Bettyboo, Dave_Death and Sp8ctre like this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I missed that Frog WTF happened?

8. Dave_Death

After doing a bit more research, it seems that the following product lines have disappeared:

Butcher
    XXX2
    6534+

I'm not sure what bass amp and cab lines have disappeared.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Classic series - besides the new Chinese-made micro head - is discontinued. Last I saw they were just making the Classic 30, then the Classic 20MH came out. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the Classic 30 probably won't be made in China. It's 'American made' status was a huge part of its marketing appeal.

The Valveking has always been made in China and there has been a Chinese-made 6505+ combo for a while now

Yeah I am in two minds regarding Peavey. On the one hand all of their American-made gear has been extremely reliable kit for me, on the other hand the company has been very unethical in their dealings with their employees. I will only buy second-hand or close-out Peavey stuff from here on in ... actually I think that's all I have ever bought; we had a little event here in Australia a couple of years ago when Peavey changed Australian distributors and the old distributor was forced to sell off all of its old stock before the end of that financial year below cost price. That's how I got my 6534+ and Classic 30 cheap. The only other new Peavey item I've ever bought was a teal stripe Microbass back in 1991!

EDIT: Apparently they are still making the Classic 30, but in China.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...avey-classic-30-is-now-made-in-china.1576549/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  9. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Actually there are already examples out there of Chinese made Classic 30s. But I think the Classic 50 is doomed. Shame, should be the other way around.

And google undercover boss and peavey on the youtube folks. Hartley was bad, I think he's just tired of running a company. But his son in law was a total d!ck.

Dave_Death likes this.
  10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Wonder if they will start making the Buddas in China also (they are already making the Budda pedals there)? As a Budda player, I have to say that would seriously bum me out and I would not buy another. Too bad to see another long-standing US musical instrument company throw in the towel and go for the cash grab.

11. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

I hope the guy that had put his 2 weeks in learns a lesson - when you resign, if your existing company offers you enticements to stay, the question should be asked, why didn't you pay me what i was worth to begin with. Never accept the counter offer--its a short term play

WavMixer, Dave_Death and Bullfrog like this.
  12. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Yes, that was like a kick on my $#%@. It was up lifting and them Pink slip, pink slip, pink slip. F%$K.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I haven't and wouldn't buy Peavey stuff after watching how the ignorant entitled twats treated their staff.

Obviously, the west has failed the capitalist experiment, and the greed at all cost management style bleated to the extreme by lunatics such as Thatcher and Reagan during the 80s (among others) and since has destroyed our societies. Our industries have declined to tiny levels, our education and social responsibilities/entitlements/requirements are ever reducing, as the corrupt politicians, their corporate backers and contemptible legal systems (and crony applications of such legal paradigms; smoke some week a few times and go to prison for life, but steal billions to destroy peoples lives and your bank gets a fine...) continue on their insane efforts to eek every last cent from our societies.

Now, don't mark me down as some communist, I believe in a free market economy, but one when law breakers, murderers and crony cartels are imprisoned rather than allowed to run the country...

As I've stated in other threads, I do not any longer buy cheap Chinese pedals, I choose to buy Keeley, VFE and Earthquaker Devices pedals in an attempt to support small and medium size businesses in the US/UK. I'm not perfect, and I did, for example, buy a VOX amp that's made in China, but my purchases do often reflect my social beliefs (and I'm trying to increase these decisions to buy British, buy US/Canadian, buy Aus/NZ, buy European, and from companies which show and actively act our social responsibility, fair wages and working conditions, etc), and I believe that companies such as VOX (bought out long ago), Marshall, Fender and Gibson do something for our economies for the time being - not sure how much longer I'll be able to say that for.

Rant over...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  14. Dave_Death

It hasn't failed the capitalist experiment at all. Capitalism doesn't recognize boundaries except for in as they allow for variations in regulation or ways to avoid tax. Competition leads to constantly seeking out cheaper and cheaper labour and more and more lax environmental standards. Problem is that when you run the standards of living down so low and then abandon countries where you were paying higher wages at some point you run out of consumers to buy your products. That's when credit steps in. Credit is also a great means of control.

I'm not really sure what they will do when China's standard of living gets too high. I guess they will move amp production to Madagascar or something.

For the record very little is made in Australia besides primary goods and services. That's why we get hit so hard as consumers when our dollar tanks (while the mining companies and agribusiness rub their hands with glee).

ivan H likes this.
  15. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I believe the word: "failing", should be substituted for the word: "failed". Capitalism is failing only temporarily over here... I hope :rolleyes:. The USA is got the highest corporate taxes in the world because there's a theory among some power-hungry political elites that any profits are deemed evil and should be sent to them to increase the size of government and secure their role in our society. Insane restrictions and suffocating Red Tape is the final straw for a lot of our home-grown businesses. The big joke around here is all the taxes and fines due to anti-common sense is suppose to level the playing field, when in the real world, it has created bigger disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots".
    The Peavey saga is very sad. Peavey, and their business model, came onto the music scene to provide us with a more affordable USA product, yet reliable with good performance. And in their earlier years, keep a well staffed work force at decent wages. Well... Feces rolls downhill... :(

alexander paul likes this.
  16. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

This. I can buy used Peavey stuff but I have a seriously bad taste in my mouth after watching that episode.

Note that if you want a thread on peavey.com's forums to disappear, just mention the way Hartley's son in law acted in that episode. Poof, gone.

I'm not pissed Peavey moved production to China, I'm pissed at how they treated their people.

Dave_Death and Sp8ctre like this.
  17. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Believe me, they have a long history of crapping on employees.

18. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Once they have exhausted all the cheap labor sources around the globe and their companies have been taken over by the Chinese or Saudis or some other country's elite they'll buy cheap labour in Aus or the US perhaps? Who knows where it will end up?

If anyone is offering I'll gladly accept a top of the line Australian made Maton electric guitar. They are some impressive axes.

19. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Apart from Matons and Cole Clarks too I guess you're right Dave, we don't make much of any consequence.

20. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I almost hate to comment on the thread because it will surely come back & serve to anger me with the ugly facts & sad realities of what is happening to America with every 'So & So replied to a thread' email notification that gets sent! Over-regulation, taxing, licensing, permit fees were hard enough but when NAFTA got passed the last incentive to stay in America was taken away. What a supreme blunder on the part of our politicians & us Americans that let it happen!

I personally refuse to support China in anyway possible & that certainly means not buying any gear made in China! And there is a list of reasons for that beyond loss of American jobs to the overseas market.

I too saw that Undercover Boss episode with Peavey. It left me feeling skeazy. To further see more promises he made on the show (like keeping jobs in America) only sickens me further.

The shame of it all is seeing money & the desire to make more money trump all things in life in our current American business culture. While the political climate runs business out over our borders in search of cheaper ways to improve their bottom line our government both locally & national are forever increasing the demand for more money to run things.

We need a real intelligent & unifying savior to pull us back from the precipice before it is all just too damn late.

Hey, I can always check the box to unsubscribe from the thread when I can no longer handle the depressing emotions the topic delivers to my emails in box right? meh fvk it. send...

alexander paul and Bettyboo like this.