Peavey moving everything to China

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Dave_Death, Jan 20, 2016.

1. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

I buy large quantity's of resistors 1% tolerance it's all China crap now. When you order from wholesale suppliers they charge $2.00 each
    for a resistor that cost less than one penny direct from China. I repair guitar amps all the new China Junk is lucky to make it past the warranty
    period. Vote with your check book. China guitar amps like to smoke main boards and transformers. People think I'm stupid for using NOS parts
    in my amp builds $4500.00 in parts it's all about tone. Lone Star Mesa 001.JPG

syscokid, Bullfrog and ivan H like this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Same here. Unfortunately, it's tough to do with a lot of consumer good, but I am willing to pay more for made in USA (England, France, Germany, Japan, etc) and be confident that I am supporting economies that are not repressive, namely our own. It's not jingoism, it's humanism.

I despise the fact that so many companies have chosen to put profits above people and in particular when it comes to music gear, where I really do not only have a choice but feel that the very best equipment is manufactured in the West, I will speak with my dollars.

I really want an Orange OR-15 for the sound. I don't expect to actually buy one as they are manufactured in China. Just the way it is.

Super fuzz and Bettyboo like this.
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Damn I didn't now Orange was made in China! All of 'em or just some models?

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Seems they still make a few of the very high-end models in Britain but most of their range is made in China from what I can tell. Same sort of thing with Marshall: the high-end and limited editions are UK-made, the rest seems to be made in Vietnam (which generally I don't have a problem with, other than a UK-based company sending its jobs overseas).

I also goofed with Blackstar. I bought one of the little modeling amps to use with headphones, mistakenly thinking they were made in the UK (I know, silly of me at that price point, right?) because they tout themselves as a British company. Turns out it was Made in China.

5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Damn. Thanks for the info gball.

6. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

Mostly, anything that is reasonably priced is not going to be made in the same country it was 'back in the day'. If it is eye wateringly expensive and has the name of a 'heritage' brand then it is more likely to be made in the country you expect it to be.
    If country of manufacture means something to you then buyer beware, and always read the label.
    Hopefully that label hasn't been copied by some unscrupulous dodgy pirate! :ohno:

Bullfrog likes this.
  7. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Orange TH100 Head 2-channel, $1499.00 Made in China

Orange TH-100 made in China.PNG Try to find "made in China" on there! Real proud of that $#!t huh?

Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII 2 channel Amplifier, $2149.00 Made in Britian.

The simple fact that the TH 100 still sells at SW for $1499 & it's made in China tells me the allure of making easy money at a large profit is something very hard in our human nature to resist! The simple fact that these execs can say "everybody is doing it" (sending production to China) just makes it easier to turn away from their countries they achieved their success in & turn their backs on the employees that got them where they are today. "Well Bob we'd like you to relocate, (to China), & head up our production team as a way of showing our appreciation". What is loyalty & pride today compared to making money!!??

8. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

With respect, all capitalist economies are inherently oppressive and repressive - yours and mine included. The inequality and oppression just manifests differently in different places. To think that the USA and the UK are somehow ethically or morally superior to the countries that get slagged on forums is, IMO, misguided.

There are practical and ecological reasons to buy locally made products (carbon footprint, regional self-sufficiency and security), but moral/ethical ones are an exercise in pots calling kettles.

Dave_Death likes this.
  9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Sorry, no, I feel confident taking a moral stance against communist China, and a litany of other countries. As you mention, we in the West are certainly not perfect in the present and our countries, respectively, have a lot to answer for (not to mention our past atrocities), but I am not going to subscribe to some false equivalency where the aggregate of our misdeeds add up to those of others. China does not top the list of offenders by any stretch of imagination (and is getting better), and I will give you that my primary issue with producing products there is the loss of jobs and country-of-origin identity, however these are not my only concerns and I won't pretend that the human rights issues are not real.

syscokid and Relic61 like this.
  10. seizure

seizure Active Member

yep, this guy f*cks

11. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

False equivalency? The governments we elect, and for whose decisions we are thus collectively responsible, deal with the worst human rights abusers all the time purely because it is expedient and convenient to so so. Human rights abusers are valued partners and allies when the price is right. You won't pretend that the human rights issues aren't the real concern? Our governments pretend that all the time with our complicity.

What about the human rights abuses at home? Banned unions, racial and sexual discrimination in pay and conditions. It's just a matter of degree and media coverage.

I agree about the loss of jobs being an issue. So long as we have wage slavery we should oppose corporations cutting their costs by depriving working people of the jobs we need to survive.

Super fuzz likes this.
  12. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I totally agree G.

Any difference is going to be made by us the consumer saying we've had enough & refuse to support your company when you close shop in (America, Britain etc) & move over seas to China, Mexico, wherever,.. to make money money money!

Our disgust, outrage & contempt for these companies (Nabisco is the latest) that forsake the workers (in this case American) that put them on the map & flee our borders for cheaper labor with less regulation is simply something we don't need to stand for. We can start by demanding an even foreign trade playing field that currently yield advantage to foreign countries like China & Mexico, revoking NAFTA, & demanding patented goods not be reproduced / copied & protected by the countries currently allowing the piracy to go on.

While I'm not suggesting anyone so without a 'smart phone' but certainly giving up eating Oreo's made in Mexico isn't an insurmountable sacrifice that makes our demands as citizen consumers known. If we don't stand unified as a country & demand change it will surely never come. That isn't hard to understand.

There is nothing wrong with sticking up for the countries we love & want to see flourish & by flourish that means available jobs for the people living here.

To simply give up, fold up & except what is going on is frankly just unacceptable & to our own detriment.

13. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

The problem is that a capitalist solution to a problem that is not simply accidental, but rather inherent to capitalism - i.e., the drive to exploit resources (including labour) as ruthlessly as possible in order to compete with other capitalists who will do it if you don't - is unlikely to work. We agitate to improve environmental, labour, and health conditions and the companies simply leave. Or if they need the resources that are somehow stuck there they will use their economic power to corrupt the government in place to ensure that those rights and laws are disregarded. Just look at the water crisis in Flint MI, and the role of GM and Nestle in it.

That said I think we have to keep fighting. Whatever method resists moving production to less ethical locations - including improving conditions in places like China, or refusing to buy products made there, or at least expecting them to be a lot cheaper so that companies like Orange don't get a huge windfall based on their 'British' reputation - is worth trying.

buddhuu likes this.
  14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Got my USED American Made Peavey.....amp in case.....1982 made T-15 and all works and sounds great.....

I highly recommend grabbing one before they are all scarfed up lol

t-151.jpg t-153.jpg

ninjaking67 likes this.