Peavey USA -- So Cheap It's Crazy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by LeadFinger, Jun 4, 2014.

1. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

I will soon take delivery of a Peavey USA-made bass I won on an ebay auction -- for much less money than *should* be the case for an instrument of this caliber and condition. :thumb:

Thought I'd start a thread about these under-rated instruments -- either basses or normal peoples' (just kidding, really) guitars -- since I've heard some of you talking about having/liking them.

Why are these things so cheap? Is it some herd mentality at work? Every experienced musician you speak with, or read online, who has owned Peavey USA instruments, has great things to say about build quality and design innovation. They're surely not everyone's cup of tea, but no one faults the quality.

They're like Carvin, only with even worse resale value. Strange. :dunno:

Anyway, if any of you have photos, stories, opinions, please post them.

eS.G. likes this.
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I have owned a number of Peavey Guitars and Basses, the Patriot line in particular.......can post pics later, 80's era guitars, wonderful build quality amazing instruments purchased very very afford ably sometimes even with the quality pvc plastic "airplane case"
    They never got the "love" from big stars and the marketing to the masses when just never there. Many folks (even players) when asked these days think they went out of business!!! A Peavey GRIND bass is still on my bucket list, and if I ever come across another Patriot I will snap it up and NOT let it go this time. And the Peavey VYPER amp was what I was looking at when I came across the Fender Mustang......

BUT don't "witness" too loudly LEad or others may discover this secret.

3. LeadFinger

"... the Patriot line in particular"

eS.G. I almost bought a Patriot, they are some nice basses. Then I spotted this rare beauty -- very similar P-bass looks but active pickup and micro-tilt:

[​IMG]

4. LeadFinger

"BUT don't "witness" too loudly LEad or others may discover this secret."

No one seems to care. It's like some collective Borg unconscious thing. For years people have said how great these were, but still you can get them for the price of a low-end import.

dbb likes this.
  5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I remember the orignal Peavey T series instruments from back in the day. Peavey took a lot of flak for using CNC machinery. They were the first to do so, but now everybody does it. Plus, their stuff was used mostly by the country music scene, so it kind of got stigmatized that way. Rockers avoided it.

A few years later they tried to break more into the rock scene with more radical and streamlined designs, but it was almost too late. There was some traction with the Peavey Vandenburg and moreso with the Peavey Wolfgang, a la Eddie Van Halen.

However, most of Peavey's guitars in the last few years seem to focus on copies, such as Strat copies, etc.

I would love to see a reissuance of the T-60, but with a less bulky body style.

eS.G. and LeadFinger like this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Yep.....however most of them now days are imports. (not that really matters) The base models are sold through walmart :-o

Maybe that is what puts them in the "collective" as low value......you see the 100.00 "beginner kit" at walmart and just assume all Peavey guitars are el cheepo's ???
    Dunno but I have always enjoyed and hope to continue to enjoy their products. lots of info at peavey.com/forum as well ......I am a secret member there ssshhhhh I don't like folks to know I like Peaveys lol

Wonderful looking guitar Lead. I never owned a Red one.
    heres a couple shots of the kids before they went off to travel the globe.....
    Patriot Bass
    [​IMG]
    Raptor
    [​IMG]7

Patriot 6
    [​IMG]
    And a former family photo....hanging at the bar, the only one still here is Sweetness.....the Lester on the right.
    [​IMG]

7. LeadFinger

T-60s at least garner some respectable money. Here's one on Reverb asking $415:

[​IMG]

8. LeadFinger

Sweet eS.H.! Especially that Patriot in natural finish. Is that an active pickup?

" few years later they tried to break more into the rock scene with more radical and streamlined designs, but it was almost too late. There was some traction with the Peavey Vandenburg and moreso with the Peavey Wolfgang, a la Eddie Van Halen."

They really should get more credit for the Wolfgangs, smitty p. That was a strange parting of the ways, too, between EVH and Peavey. Wolfgang players still prize the earlier Peavey builds, for the guitars and the EVH amps, too. I'd assume it was all about money, but then I remember that EVH jumped into bed with Fender, and Fender doesn't exactly give things away.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

No passive on mine, single coil "blade" I think the T-60 had push/pull split coils. :-)
    ANd yes T series are awesome and do get the top dollar. I am eyeing a T-Bass at a local pawn shop its been hanging there a year, dude is at double what I am willing to pay (but still very little for the quality) its a stand off.

Off to the Salt Mines. Enjoy the new toy LEad

LeadFinger likes this.
  10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Peavey has always been innovative, and afforadable since their beginning. But moreover, reliable. Walk into any shop with an amp tech worth his salt and ask him how many Peavey amps hit his bench from actual failure and not there because of customer abuse. Chances are he'll smile and say damn few.

Their instruments are the same. As Smitty said, they paved the way for new forms of building guitar and bass examples that were cutting edge at the time that now has become standard throughout the industry. But Peavey is either loved, despised, or simply overlooked and ignored. Depends on who you talk to.

I love their amps. Always have, but I was one of those that was sorta indifferent to their instruments. That was until I bought a Raptor 1 from the mid '80's that was in pretty good shape for a whopping $32 out the door. I couldn't even get the parts and build one for that. Now I've had some high dollar guitars in my time in the past. And now three Epi's, two of which are limited custom shop babies, and still my "Go To Guitar" for all practical purposes is that Peavey Raptor. Why? Simple, it feels good in the hands. Sounds great and just flat out delivers every time I pick it up.

Yeah, there's not much love for the Peavey in this world. The "collective" may not care for them, but free thinking folks that understand and know good instruments and amps, well..... I've never been "assimilated" and play and enjoy my Peavey gear. :)

11. LeadFinger

"That was until I bought an Raptor 1 from the mid '80's that was in pretty good shape for a whopping $32 out the door."

That's a heck of a deal. There are some nice deals around here on Peavey amps, with even the tube amps selling for a fraction of a corresponding (power/ feature wise) Fender or Marshall would.

12. Tobacco Worm

[​IMG]
    Best $32 I ever spent. :)

What fascinates me is things like the pole pieces are about 30% larger than the Fender style and they have nearly zero dropout even in ridiculously stupid bends. And the truss rod adjustment is kinda cute too. A capstan style wheel in the heal of the neck. Makes it a slow adjustment so one would not snap the rod with too fast of a crank on it. Pretty smart.:hmm:
    [​IMG]

Yup, best 32 bucks I ever spent. :)

LeadFinger likes this.
  13. LeadFinger

They is quite a difference in the pickup design Peavey vs Fender:

[​IMG]

It says that the Peavey uses a bar-type ceramic magnet. Your pickups must have some nice output, Tobacco Worm.

14. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

The split coil function was done in kind of a unique way. It didn't use push-pull pots.

Instead, below 7 on the tone control, the pickup is a humbucker. At 7 and above on the tone control, the pickup is split to a single coil.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Similar to what was in my Peavey Predator before I installed Fender CS TS pickups; the stock ceramic Peavey's are oriental made I think and are decent but somewhat generic sounding Strat type pickups. I could re-install them anytime and still be happy.

LeadFinger likes this.
  16. LeadFinger

The mounting plate on that Peavey pickup almost looks like it would go in a Tele.

17. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if it would fit a Tele. Peavey T-60's neck bolt patterns were set up so you could bolt on a Tele neck.

dbb and LeadFinger like this.
  18. LeadFinger

That's cool. You can put a Strat neck on a Tele but not the other way around, due to the heel. I'd like to see more uses for the Tele neck, lol. They are nice necks.

dbb likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Lead, the pickups in my Raptor are almost P90 like in their tone and punch.

With a great playing neck. No brainer-like strat style controls. And pickups that have enough testosterone to revive a failing old man of 97, no wonder this has become my "Go To Guitar"!! :thumb:

And all for 32 bucks.... I almost felt like I stole it..... well I said almost!:naughty:

LeadFinger and eS.G. like this.
  20. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Peavey is here in my hometown. And stop letting the cat outta the bag guys! :D
    Peavey has been the best kept secret for a long time now. Bullet proof products.