Pedals through solid state amps

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Bert Scrogshaw, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Is anyone out there using pedals through solid state/modelling amps? Do pedals work well with these amps? My set up is pedal free....but I would like to get more sustain when playing some solos. Are there any sustain pedals that might work well on my Vox mini 5 amp?

Thanks all.

2. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Yes and yes. I have successfully ised pedals with modeling amps and I currently use pedals with analog SS amps. Works great but may depend on the particular amp.

Bert Scrogshaw likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I actually prefer a good solid state amp over tube amps, my current main amp is a Peavey Solo Special 122, and it takes pedals really well.

If anything a SS amp will act more neutral to what it is fed with, which I consider an advantage, except maybe for when used with certain dirt pedals that more or less are designed to work as dirty boosts in front of tube amps.

So with certain dirt pedals you might not like the result using them in front of a SS amp, and might get better results with "amp in a pedal" type dirt pedals, that are meant to emulate the kind of drive you get from a pushed tube amp.

Personally I use a Joyo Orange Juice, which is meant to emulate an Orange type amp, for overdrive, as well as dirty boost for my Behringer GDI21, which I use for my high gain distortion tone, a pedal that can be set to either emulate a Fender, Marshall or Mesa Boogie style amp, me using the Mesa Boogie setting.

4. Timothy J Johnson

Timothy J Johnson New Member

I use a Fender GT200 amp and run through a BOSS ME-80. Works just fine. I have a clean setting on the amp, but I could probably experiment with combinations of effects in different ways through both amp and board. Double flange and other wild combos. Havent tried yet though.

5. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Thanks fo the replies folks. So my SS/modelling amp might take a compressor/sustainer type pedal.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Astral Traveler and NoiseNinja like this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You don't need a pedal, but you do have to read your amp manual.

controls_0010_Low-Reso_MINI5_RM_Top.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

The Comp works pretty well....it's just that I like to use the Chorus or Trem settings on this dial. If I'm say , using chorus, then I can't use Comp. It might be easier for me to use the Comp setting on the amp and buy a (cheap) chorus pedal!

DrBGood and Astral Traveler like this.
  8. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Yes but consider the effect order when using built in effects in combination with external effects.

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Probably. I never heard a bad chorus.