Pete Townshend SG's?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neal, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Neal

Neal New Member

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had played all three of the Townhend SG models(the custom shop,the standard run and the polaris white model) and if so,what did you think in terms of build quality ,tone etc?

2. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

I've got a 50th anniversary model. I bought it for $800 when they were closing them out. Probably the best deal I've ever had, and one of the best guitars. You can't go wrong with an SG and P-90s.

syscokid likes this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you have the Polaris White one. That's a great deal you got it for. I bought mine about 3 years ago for $1000, and I'm still pretty happy with the deal cuz it's such a nice sounding and playing guitar.

I wasn't so sure about the Lightning Bolt wraparound bridge at first. But I definitely love it now. It adds something very special to the performance of the guitar. What did bother me was the way the wraparound bridge had this forward tilt... but that was my OCD-ness speaking. I rectified this by installing locking studs. Now the bridge sits pretty flat and intonates very well.

2018-01-13 09.31.37.jpg

jtcnj likes this.
  4. Neal

Neal New Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.......I have an SG classic(that is to say,one with a broken head stock at the moment) and as a huge Who fan was just wondering whether any of these signature models would be an upgrade?

I'm also really interested to know whether the limited edition model is built any better/sounds better than the standard ones....

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome to the broken headstock club. My first SG was a used 1969 SG Special that I had purchased in the 1980's. A couple of years later it was involved in an accident. Never had one break since then.

[​IMG]

6. Neal

Neal New Member

Haha,it was a real eye opener......of course I had heard about it but until it actually happens to you......I don't think I will be leaning guitars against a wall any time soon,let's put it that way.

My main guitar before that was a Tele-so I could basically treat it however I wished and it wouldn't break.

I've heard a correctly fixed break can make it stronger?

I would love a 69 special.....how did it sound?

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It was a great sounding SG. I have seen a headstock repair in the past where a couple of slots were routed on the back of neck and headstock and drumsticks were glued in as reinforcement dowels.

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I love that idea... repairing a broken SG with drumstick dowels...

The answer to the OP's question is this: You have to play them.

9. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

That depends. Wraptails are authentic to the era, but the pickups are going to be the same. Sound wise, I don't think there's a lot of difference. If money was no object, i might find a custom shop model, just because it's a custom shop model.