Pick Gauges

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Logan, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

What kind of picks and pick gauges do you guys use?

For me, I use Dunlop Max Grips 1.0s. No lighter, no heavier. I find that I don't need to use a lighter pick for strumming, because I just let some pressure off the pick and it goes back and forth like it should when you're strumming, and when you go into a solo, you don't have to switch picks :D
    [​IMG]

2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Orange turtles for me. Honestly, I don't even know what thickness they are, but they work for me :)

3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I have used the green .88 Dunlop Tortex ones for almost 30 years, but I recently switched to heavier picks. I don't know why, but all of a sudden it just felt more comfortable. I play with the rounded edge, which gives me a much softer attack. I'm currently using Gibson XHs:
    [​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I play with Fender Heavy picks. I don't know what the gauge is but anything lighter feels flimsy and annoying to me. Probably cause I hit so hard. I use all side of the pick. I somehow feel like I actually play faster when I use the pick the wrong way around.
    [​IMG]

I generally don't need to go any lighter for strumming since I usually play
    big open chords, power chords and 12 bar blues. No hippie strumming going on here

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Biddlin likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I alternate between Clayton Frost-Byte 1.22mm and Dunlop Max-Grip Jazz III carbon fiber. Obviously I like grippy picks.

I've also been experimenting with Hell Guitars 1mm picks since they were kind enough to send one out.

6. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Green Tortex for me, they've always worked well so never felt the need to try anything else.

7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

For years I used to chop & change between different picks, I still have several pick tins lying around full of all sorts of pick sizes & shapes. Generally I'd use a thin pick for rhythm & medium or thick for lead, with medium to thick sizes often being a preference. In recent years I began to gravitate towards thicker picks, ending up with 1.5mm. Then I played with an odd pick from a tin - I bought it in the 80s to try out & never really liked it. It was small, but very thick with rounded edges & a teardrop shape, black with 'Eros' written on it. As soon as I tried it it just felt 'right'. I couldn't find them anywhere, but Dunlop do something very similar in size & shape (just a bit flatter & thinner):
    Stubby Jazz Guitar picks.

Now I use a 3.00 Stubby all the time, I can play anything with it, and I seem to be playing better. Plus, anytime I grab a different pick, not only does it feel clumsy, but the tone just isn't as good... The only downside is that they're to small to keep between the strings & too thick to wedge under a pickguard. :(

[​IMG]

A few years ago I couldn't handle using a pick like this, now it's my favourite pick.

8. cvansickle

cvansickle New Member

V-Picks Screamers for me, Ruby Red or Sapphire Blue. They're 2.75mm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've got some of the Purple Big Stubbys running around here. Occasionally I'll try one out just to change things up.

SG standard likes this.
  10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I keep meaning to try out the 'Big' version & see if I get on with them as well as the regular Stubbies. Thanks for the reminder. :)

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No worries. You just reminded me to check out the Reverend soft spring.

Edit: Spring ordered.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. rotorhead

Some of these picks in this thread look like they need batteries and a license plate lol

13. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

images.jpg
    It's funny how we all seem to like heavy picks.

Biddlin likes this.
  14. Chubbles

Wait. I forgot my other pick...

images(2).jpg

grausch and rotorhead like this.
  15. rotorhead

Way back, I tried to be all cool and use a quarter or a peso like Billy Gibbons. All I ended up doing was either cutting up the strings or my fingers.

Turns out they ain't so good for heavy playing...

16. LDS

LDS Member

I used a quarter for years on bass. Would always get change for a buck at the bar and set them on the amp at the beginning of the night. My ex was kind of sentimental and used to save them. We had a big tin can full of them, then one day a guy at work had plane tickets and decent tickets to see Paul McCartney at Sun Devil Stadium in Phoenix. So we used the quarters.

Moral of the story? Quarters have higher resale value than picks. :cheers:

Raiyn, Biddlin and rotorhead like this.
  17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Crawley, Hobbs and Patalon was the best band I was ever in, musically speaking. We were focused on personal excellence in the pursuit of a group ideal, to the exclusion of almost all other musicians and music. Cult like. My partner Clubhand Lare Crawley gave me a stone guitar pick for my 32nd birthday. I tormented my ES225 with it for a year. Now I use extra heavy plastic picks, the response time is better than thin and flexible, and wouldn't even think about letting someone use metal or stone on one of my guitars.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  18. Chubbles

I have a beautiful agate one and one from Buffalo horn. Never use them. I dont want to break the agate, and the horn feels flimsey.

19. sazista

sazista Active Member

Switched to a quarter coin years ago and never went back. It is superior for rolling over the strings instead of the silly point that catches the string. I learned from Brian may. It takes a couple of weeks and you will have your style down. It has never caused damage to my strings nor broke one. You loosen your grip and let it slide over them. It was a fantastic finding. I can't play with picks now. I also use round symetrical buttons for a different sound.

20. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Bought a pack of Fender mediums at least 30 years ago. Lost a few. "Loaned" a few. Broke a couple. Still have 4 or 5 left. Use them on both my acoustic and electric. Tried heavier and tried lighter. Just more comfortable and like tone better with the mediums.

Chubbles likes this.