Picked Up A Roxy SG But Something Doesn't Seem Right ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ratt_salad, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ratt_salad

ratt_salad New Member

Hey guys I was able to pick up a Roxy SG and I've been dumbfounded as to how to set this thing up. I adjusted the truss rod so I can have as much of a straight neck as I possibly can. There is probably a 1/64th of a gap at the 12 fret. That's as much as the nut will go before failure I feel and I definitely won't be able to backbow it even if I wanted to.

I set the string height of the guitar as per Gibson specs for starters which is 3/64th on the high e string and 5/64th on the low E string.

Here's where I'm worried if I got a lemon...

My high e string is so low that I can't even fit a piece of paper between the vibrola tailpiece and the string. It sits on the chrome finish of the vibrola.
    The adjustment wheel on the bridge on the treble side sit pretty much 1mm before it's bottomed out.
    The wheel on the bass side sits just shy of 3mm.
    I use 9-42 strings and this is all at Gibson specs.

Is this normal for a vibrola tailpiece on a SG guitar ?
    The string angle from the tailpiece to the bridge seems okay i guess :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Yes G and ratsalad like this.
  2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

on my vibrola equipped SG...
    basically there is a 0.5mm clearance of string from vibrola.
    set to 4/64...with 3mm gap between the bottom of the adjustment wheel and body on the high E.

maybe its time to give ur neck some more relief...

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Congrats on "being able to pick up' MY GUITAR!!!! Well, I can't answer your question, mainly because you have my guitar of my dreams and I think that I should have it, with the problems mentioned, and you should be writing instead of me! Get a second opinion from a luthier. Don't do anything to that neck that I wouldn't do! :)

4. ratt_salad

ratt_salad New Member

It has sommme relief, its not perfectly flat but I really had to tighten the nut more than I was expecting to get it to even close to straight. I wouldn't go any further though

The not you grabbed the guitar haha I'm sure one of those 400 roxies will come up for sale for you one day :)
    By the way there's someone else on youtube with the guitar I spoke to who isn't happy how it's setup either. I guess it's standard for these guitars, super low action playing, feels like an ibanez almost and I'm not sure if they're problems but also odd how the strings would rest on the lyre

Here's a treat

[​IMG]

58pit, dexspeed and Yes G like this.
  5. sazista

sazista Active Member

Yeah thanks. I hate you even more!

Yes G likes this.
  6. sazista

sazista Active Member

So how similar / different are they from one another? Their years?

7. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

They way I understand it, and there are FAR FAR wiser folks on here, is that an SG neck is not supposed to be adjusted perfectly straight, there should be a very slight bow the way I understand it. So perhaps there is room for more neck adjustment, regardless, those are some FINE specimens you have there, congrats. I'm sure one of the wiser guys will set you right.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

You don't mention if you like the way it plays or not. I always set my necks pretty much perfectly straight, and as I get older I prefer the action a bit higher than I used to so its a good combination. Personally, I'd probably bring that bridge up a bit but it's all about how if feels to you. I don't go by factory specs on any of my guitars, strictly by feel.

I have seen a number of people complain about these reissue Lyre tailpieces, saying that the angle is not correct and they have pretty much the same problem as you. Not sure what the solution is other than to remove it and bend it so that is sits a bit lower.

Heck of nice guitar. Hope you don't have any problems getting that tailpiece sorted out.

58pit likes this.
  9. ratt_salad

ratt_salad New Member

The Trucks SG is a 2015 model and is my favorite playing SG. It's just easy to bend on and do hammer ons and pulls off on, and the action isn't even as low as the Frank Zappa SG. Not that the Zappa SG is bad or anything, since I've set it up it plays alot nicer. The Zappa is just a lower action playing guitar than the Trucks. I guess I'm more used to the Trucks, I've had it for 2+ years now. The P90 SG you see is a 2001 Gibson Limited Re-issue that was not for me. I just sold it not long ago as soon as it came in pretty much. It has the long tenon-joint at the neck and it just sucks to play on lol nice looking guitar that I bought to do an Iommi build but I don't feel right playing it.

10. ratt_salad

ratt_salad New Member

I had no idea of knowing whether the neck was straight or not until I got one of those notched straight edges from a luthier shop. I thought I had it as straight as I could get it just by eye and feel but when the straight edge came in and I tested the neck I was surprised to see how much of a gap I had at the 12th fret from the notched straight edge. I really had to tighten down the nut to get it almost straight. Just a tiny bit of relief so that I don't buzz at the lower frets. I think it's okay now. I love how it sounds, it is noisy somewhat but the pickups are so responsive. Their just as responsive if not more than the jaydee's I have and if none of you guys have tried the NYXL D'addorio strings, try em! They're so much easier to play on than the regular 9's I had. I'm not going back.