Pickup height question for you seasoned veterans

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by living room rocker, May 13, 2018.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

I've been slowly upgrading and tweaking a '16 Epi G400 Pro. I've added a Schaller roller bridge, a Tusq XL nut, and a set of SD Pearly Gates. I've got neck relief and string height adjusted to my liking and have just recently started playing with pickup height. I realize it's a matter of personal taste, but where do you guitar vets set your bridge and neck pickups? Closer or farther than the oem Epi specs? I like clarity and brightness in my sound. Just how close to the strings do you guys get w/o negative returns? And do you measure from the pickup cover or top of the magnet screw head?

2. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

For the bridge, I get it as close as possible to the strings, then back it off till it sounds good. The neck pickup is slightly above the ring

dub-setter likes this.
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Measure from the bottom of the string to the top of the pole / magnetic screw, etc.

4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I have the neck pup even with that black plastic that holds the pups. I raise the bridge pup til it sounds how i want it, which is just over half way between the strings and that black rectangle that holds the pups. I dont know what those are called. I dont ever measure, I just adjust too and fro till I like how it sounds.

I think part of it depends on your picking technique, I finger pick- with my thumb and first two fingers. I would get upset if i kept bumping the pups with my fingers. I assume for flat pickers its different. Same reason 9s can be comfortable for flat pickers and not so much fingerpickers.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

About the same for me, I never take any measurements, just do it by sound.

Gahr likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

This.

Go by ear. If it sounds good, it's the right height.

7. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I adjust it to where it sounds good to my ear, then back it down a few turns and raise the adjustable pole pieces up and to match the radius of the fretboard.

This gives a little extra strength to one of the coils and adds a touch of brightness to the pup. YMMV, of course.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I set the bridge pickup height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the strings (1/8" or ±3cm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. If not, ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it, will get it where I want it. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, clean AND dirty, I go to the neck.

Neck position has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Member

mm...