Pickup placement

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by straydogger69, Feb 11, 2017.

1. straydogger69

straydogger69 New Member

I notice that the pickup ring on my old '73 SG Standard with the small pickguard is tight up against the neck. Now on newer models I see that there is a piece of pickguard that is between the pickup ring and the neck. What is the purpose of that and does it effect the sound/tone?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I think the distance from the bridge of both pickups, is the factor to think about. That and space between pups.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Was looking online at 1973 and 2017 side by side and see that the pickups on the 1973 are further from the bridge. The space between the pickups on both models looks to be proportionally the same distance.

Since a neck pickup sounds darker in comparison to a bridge pickup due to being further from the bridge, the overall sound of the 1973 may sound slightly darker than a 2017 if the exact same pickups were used in an A/B test.

Would that be logically correct?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    straydogger69 likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Pickup location or distance from the bridge is important. A modern SG neck pickup is "almost" like the middle pickup on a Strat while a LP neck pickup is closer to a Strat neck pickup location (equalizing scale lengths of course). I found that after scaling, most of the PRS guitars match more of an SG pickup layout than a LP.

Your SG with a pickup tight to the neck will sound more like a LP than a modern SG. Change pots and caps can brighten or darken a guitar too.

straydogger69 likes this.
  5. straydogger69

straydogger69 New Member

Sounds possible.....thanks...