Pickup Wiring Question - '72 SGII

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by StonedLlama, Jul 7, 2019.

1. StonedLlama

StonedLlama New Member

I'm finally getting around to putting together my SG, from a box of leftover parts and replacements I've sourced. This is my first time working on guitars, but I am familiar with electronics.

My next holdup is figuring out how to wire the 2xP90 pickups to the switch/pot electronics.
    I've seen many guides for the SG's with 4 pots, but mine is the model with two switches, and two pots.

Just looking for help with the correct hookup location for both the neck pickup, and bridge pickup.
    [​IMG]

It looks like the grounds will both go to the back of the messy pot, and one lead will go to the left switch top tab (based on old solder), but I don't know which one or where the other will go.

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

If pickups are stock, they should be Mini Humbuckers, not P-90's. If you are changing the Mini Humbuckers to P-90's, then the wiring would be the same since they both use only two wires, hot and ground.

Looks like two SPDT switches next to each other, one for each pickup. Determine which switch you want to control what pickup and connect the hot wire of each pickup to its respective switch to the lugs indicated by the yellow arrows pictured below. The grounds would go to the pot casing as you mentioned.

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. StonedLlama

StonedLlama New Member

Perfect, that's what I was hoping for!

Cheers!

cerebral gasket likes this.