Pink dots on 72/73 SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by matei, Jan 11, 2019.

1. matei

matei New Member

Hi all,

I've got a 1972/73 (pots are dated '72 so I remain naively hopeful that it was snuck in before 73!) SG Standard. It has the unbound ebony board like quite a few have from '73-74 - but what struck me as odd were the dot markers on the side of the fretboard - they're pink!

Anyone else have an SG with these? I've seen a few other SGs from the same period and none seemed to have pink markers.

2. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

Post a picture.

3. matei

matei New Member

4. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

It's from the red finish. I have the same thing with my '69 Special, the binding on the fretboard has a pink tint, and I can't remember if it was like that when I bought it or if developed over the years.

5. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

This color come from the case, humidity ?

6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Certainly nothing I would be worried about, especially if the rest of the guitar checks out, which it sounds like you have no concerns there. Just character

Often times the binding gets a pinkish tinge to it as well. No biggie

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Just the red dye bleeding into the clear lacquer top coat. Totally normal.

8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Where are the rest of the pictures of the guitar?

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have also read online where someone asks, "When did they start using pink binding?" Many answers were that the red aniline dye bleeds through discoloring the plastic.

Having owned a 63 and 69 SG Special in the past, both had bound necks, but I never remember seeing any pink binding on either one.

I purchased a new LP Traditional Pro in 2011 that did have pink binding, but at the time did not reallize it was pink until it after I ended up selling it for various reasons.

So I started paying more attention to bound necks and noticed the same pink binding on other guitars that were produced since 2011. When I saw pink binding on Ebony and White finishes, I got to thinking there's no red aniline dye on those to bleed through.

They must be using different batches of binding material that are not consistent with each other and some are either white, cream or pink. Pictured below is what looks to my eyes as pink binding before any finishing is done.

[​IMG]

I don't see any pink binding on the 2006 SG Classic with cherry finish pictured below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. matei

matei New Member

Hi

Here are a few:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the info. Someone had wanted to purchase the guitar from me, he accused me of respraying the instrument - something that I haven't done. The control cavity seems to show the same colour as well.

He also didn't think that the pots or caps were original to this guitar, which I disagree. The pots date to sometime in '72, can't remember when - would have to get my glasses on and have a look.

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice SG!
    I have my glasses on and see Pot Code 1377325

137 - CTS
    73 - 1973
    25 - Week 25 of 1973

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  12. matei

matei New Member

Ha ha - awesome, thanks for that! Shows how poor my eyesight is! :rofl:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Damn that’s a nice guitar!

The potential buyer is a moron, I wouldn’t sell him my used underwear.

arcticsg likes this.
  14. matei

matei New Member

:-) No worries - the sale didn't go through as someone else had contacted me while the potential buyer went to go think about it.

I ended up selling it to this other person - however two days later it fell through as this guy (a serious collector) suddenly had the issue to get a vintage Les Paul, so... a '70s SG pales in comparison :-)

Everything worked out in the end, as it is a super guitar, I really enjoy it.

thanks for the info guys and the help in dating it.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yep, and it was probably a late '73 build using the last of that batch of pots because the unbound Ebony board was only introduced in late 1973 for the 1974 models. Officially, 1973s had a bound Rosewood board. But you still have the closer pickup spacing of '73s.

It's pretty remarkable to see a Norlin SG with such an unfaded Cherry finish. Whatever dye or nitro formula they used back then would fade incredibly quickly. I could swear I've seen pictures from the '70s where they were already faded to brown.

Nice score!

cerebral gasket likes this.