Planet Waves Auto-Trim Tuning Machines, too heavy for SG?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by RollnROCK89, Jan 29, 2005.

1. RollnROCK89

RollnROCK89 New Member

Hey, I currently have Planet Waves Auto-Trim Tuning Machines on my Epi LP, and I really love them.
    You can check em out here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/361451/
    They make string changing very quick, have a high gear ratio, and hold tune great.
    I am soon going to be getting a Faded SG Special, and I would like to put them on it, but I'm worried that they will make the instrument too headstock heavy. Anyone have them on their SG or heard about doing this? Thanks.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Not needed.

Dunno whats on the Epi, but the ones on the Gibsons are perfectly adequate. Both my fadeds tune smoothly.

Stringing takes no longer to do on traditional tuning machine, if you do it correctly.

( courtesy of http://www.frets.com )

Pass it thru the eye
    [​IMG]

Give yourself about two fingers of "take up" under the string when you do this (note middle and ring fingers).
    [​IMG]

Yank it tight when folding it over itself. Remember, the sharp "fold over" is the critical part. Strings always fold from buttons to face. Either side, its the same way.
    [​IMG]

Wind on!
    [​IMG]

Here, the string is getting snipped. I like to leave about 3/8 inch stickin' out which makes it easier to unstring later. Frank Ford (pictured... smile Frank!) likes to cut 'em pretty close. To each his own.
    [​IMG]

And... remember as well... TUNERS CANNOT SLIP!!!!! Your strings may slip on the tuner (poor stringup). Your guitar may settle in. Your strings may stretch. Your nut or saddle may be faulty. High quality tuners are just smoother, prettier, longer lasting... are nicer to tune with, but even the cheapest tuners wont "slip".

The Gibson tuners are currently either made by Grover, or perhaps wonderful copies by Ping. They have cast sleeves and threaded bushings, and are very smooth.

Dont get completely fooled by ratio either. In theory, a high ratio makes precise tuning easier. In practice, there is no advantage, as normal ratio (say 14:1) are more than adequate enough for the task at hand.

3. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

EXCELLENT! that should be put somewhere in a quick reference...like the archives or summin...it comes up so often, and it DOES fix alot of tuning problems!