Player's choice: Strings?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Steve D, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Never with Ernie Balls, but I've had it happen with a few sets of Throbak strings. It seems to be a thing that happens every now and then with different manufacturers. My guess is that it's a faulty batch where something has gone wrong in production. Pretty annoying when it happens.

Steve D likes this.
  2. ToyTitan2k16

ToyTitan2k16 New Member

I use Ernie Ball pink pack super slinkys on everything I play. 9-42

GrumpyOldDBA and Steve D like this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Actually, I have! Just recently too. I have half a ten pack of Super Slinkys left that's missing the the high "e" strings because of that exact reason.

I'm figuring it was a manufacturing run or something. I should have saved them all, maybe I could have reveived a free 10 pk or replacement e strings or something. Lol

Steve D and Biddlin like this.
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My favorite are Elixir Nanoweb, they sound very well for many weeks, I love the feeling. I will try tle last Optiweb model.

[​IMG]

nico1975, Col Mustard and Steve D like this.
  5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I've been using Ernie Ball 10s on my strat and I gather that the factory strings delivered with a new guitar are also 10s but they feel very different on an SG than they do on a strat. Lots of variety in responses, Col Mustard was right in that consensus isn't in the cards but I do see that many using 9s or 10s, lots of Ernie Ball users (though some recent quality control issues maybe making them rethink that) and a few using strings I've never heard of before, which is interesting and something to look into.

I did do a search for "strings" by the way but it comes up so much inside threads that after a few pages looking for a thread I just said "well, I'm sure it's been discussed before but some threads surely come up all the time so maybe it's time". Thanks for all the good dialogue.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

All of my recent Gibsons arrived with 9-46 strings, I step down to a 9-42. The extra 3/4" of .010. string on a Fender feel like using a .011" on a Gibson.

7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

9s make sense, they seem a lot slinkier than the 10s I'm used to, scale length alone doesn't seem to account for that.

At my next string change (first one on this guitar, actually) I'm going to oil up the fretboard I'll probably put a set of 10-46 on because I have a bunch and see how they feel. But so far I like the feel of what I have, which I guess are 9s. So if the 10s feel off, 9s will be going on right away.

8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

As far as i know for at least several years ( maybe more ) most models of new gibsons including SGs and LPs come out of the box with 9 to 46s.

Lots of good options ...

I see no reason to not use Ernie Ball sets matching the stock strings in size. The 10 46 range is fine also.

Slinks and super slinks work nicely for rock and blues.

Everyone has their own opinion dont overthink this one. Get a bunch of different choices and rotate them in and out for a while?

arcticsg likes this.
  9. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Elixir Optiweb 9-42s. Long lasting but have a really crisp and natural tone despite the coating

10. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa New Member

I like D'Addario 10's standard set nothing special they last a long time and sound very good to my ears!

arcticsg likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

GHS Boomer .011s on Gibson-scale instruments, Boomer .010s on Fender-scale instruments, and different brands and gauges on acoustics, depending on what the guitar likes best tonally. Usually ,012 D'Addarios, or .013s of various makes. Had one acoustic that loved .013s in silk-and-steel. Those are great strings if fingerpicking is part of your acoustic playing style.

12. John Vasco

John Vasco Active Member

Elixir 9-46s.

Have used these since 2002, when I first experienced Elixir strings on the new Taylor I bought. Tried an electric set for my Les Paul. Excellent tone, longevity, etc..

13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

My SG came stock with 10s, so I keep it 10s.

I go for Brite Wires. Being a Rickenbacker/Fender treble guy I find the Brite Wires do add some brightness and zing to my SG.

[​IMG]

Steve D likes this.
  14. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I may have mentioned this earlier. ..

I saw that some people solder the twists at the ball end before installing them. I have no idea how it works, but it is supposed to prevent that.

Me:
    1316172885P02253.png
    Because they are a little easier to bend. 9-42 on strats, 10-42 on everything else.

15. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

Usually D'Addario 10 46, last string change I tried for the first time Elixir, 10 46 purchased online on Amazon, so far a very good choice, a bit brighter tone than usual, maybe also because of their long lasting life.
    Really enjoied the feeling, they seem particularly smooth and fast under my fingers.

16. spikypaddy

spikypaddy New Member

Ernie Ball Cobalt 10s. They seem to last forever, play great and sound even better!

17. ToyTitan2k16

ToyTitan2k16 New Member

It’s odd that the high e unraveled on me for the first time them other day using the pink pack Ernie balls.

18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

D'Addario 9.5-44

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm trying out a set of Stringjoy balanced tension strings on a wraptail Les Paul so far my opinion is that they are over priced, over hyped and there is a lack of coloration, similar to cobalts. Mushy bass tones too. I was gonna keep 'em on awhile but they aren't even worth the longevity test.

20. iGouger

iGouger New Member

Black Harbor Strings. Heavies. 12-60. for Drop-C.