Playing Your Electric Guitar-unplugged

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Biddlin, May 10, 2015.

1. Marcus Carrozza

Marcus Carrozza New Member

I play threw a Digitech multi effects unit with head phones mostly. The f##king neighbors can hear my guitar while I am playing. I have no idea how they hear it threw the walls . But, yeah I found playing my guitar unplugged got me some bad playing habits. I play unplugged long enough to tune it and check for problems that's it. I like playing threw a A/B/Y, that leads into 2 amps. One is dirty , the other clean, so I can hear what I am playing .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Marcus Carrozza

Marcus Carrozza New Member

Play clean while plugged in for a while and you will get better. I had the same problem now I hate ful saturation and like a dual amp set up one clean one on the verge of complete meltdown but not quite. Good luckā˜®

3. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Overdrive and distortion can cover a multitude of sins, and my dodgy technique!

Playing clean (maybe just a little reverb, so it sounds pleasant?) was a revelation - for me at least - and it sure does make you more aware of technique and mistakes (mostly the latter in my case :shock:)

But you can't beat some crunch / distortion / fuzz / Djent* etc for a good old rock out :dude: I usually finish off a practice with some of that, just makes ya feel good! :D

(*delete as applicable)

DCCable likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Djent: A crappy tone or style of musical abuse denoted by distortion, palm muting and rattling loose strings. A style popularized by a band called Meshuggah, the cretins can't even spell their freakin name.
    [​IMG]
    But live and let live.

5. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Have to cover all the bases :smile: can't say I'm a fan myself, but yep, each to their own...

6. grausch

grausch Active Member

Sometimes it's good to break out of one's comfort zone.

7. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

I play unplugged a lot. Learnt a helluva lot in the process. I saw how hard i was on the strings with my strum hand, so it taught me to adjust accordingly. Initially it started as a way to reduce the fret buzz from heavy handed strumming, but it since evolved into dynamic picking because through a nice amp, when i mix a soft touch with heavy picking it greatly enhanced the dynamics of my sound, which was awesome

I also found that it helped my bending and hitting the right pitch.

The last thing, because i dont play to a metronome or back tracks when unplugged, i find i play faster. So when i slow it down and play with a mp3, backtrack, drummer or whatever, with the slower tempo i find my playing is cleaner or less sloppy.

Certainly helped me, i almost exclusively practice unplugged or on an acoustic these days

8. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

I much prefer to play seated, why would anyone play standing up when you could be sitting down ?? I just don't get it, standing is sooo much more work ... not for me

9. Tom Sullivan

Tom Sullivan Active Member

I hardly ever play sitting down - always prefer to stand

Maybe I'm not normal because I often jump, dance, and even run around while I'm playing - there is no way I can catch the total vibe when I'm sitting

In my opinion, sitting down to play the guitar is like having tight leather straps pinning my body to a huge slab of wood while having sex - occasionally, sure, but it's too restrictive for my taste

But there's really no wrong way to do it - whatever floats your boat

Chrisopher and Dude like this.
  10. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

Oh I hear ya' bro ... I'm just lazy !!! LOL