Please help identify a 2001 Junior

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by otw, Jan 12, 2018.

1. otw

otw New Member

Hi chaps,
    Signed up to ask about a friend's SG I recently played. We recorded a few guitars in a studio, and when we listened to them back in a mix, this SG sounded incredible. It just fit... it sounded like a record. He won't sell it (and I don't blame him!) so I'm trying to find out exactly what it is with a view to tracking down an identical guitar which, fingers crossed, might sound close to the one we recorded.
    The serial number says it's from September 2001, and it has what I now know after searching this forum is a 'batwing' pickguard. Classic Gibson dark red colour. One P90 in the bridge.
    The thing I'm stuck on is whether or not it's a 67 Reissue. The serial number is 8 digits, which I understand means it's not a CS.... but I don't know whether the 61/67 Reissues were part of the standard line or CS! So, did Gibson make a batwing non-Reissue Junior in 2001.... and if they did, what's the spec difference between it and a 67 Reissue?
    I have some pics of the guitar but I'm hoping this can be solved easily without them (not my guitar etc).
    Thanks very much for any help.

2. otw

otw New Member

Also, the only reason I'm trying to find out precisely what it is, is because I'm assuming there's a noticeable difference between the sound of a Junior which has the pickup mounted to the pickguard (batwing) and one which has the pickup mounted straight on the body. I'm guessing the pickup used on the 67 Reissue would be different to the one used on a 'regular' Junior from the same period, too. If either of these statements aren't true, please tell me!

3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Welcome OTW! That's just an SG Junior from 2001, regular USA line, not Custom shop. They've only offered the SG Junior some years. Some years, like your friend's, have the big pickguard, some (most, I'd say) has the earlier style with the small guard.

As far as I know, the Custom SHop hasn't reissued the big pickguard SG Junior (or, at the very least, it's not a usual model). And I'd say most Gibson P90's are the same pickup, regardless of the model they're in.

If they sound different mounted on a pickguard or on the dogear cover... Well, I don't know. I'd say whatever difference can be hard can be attributed to being closer or further apart from the strings. The ones with the dogear cover can't be adjusted for height, I don't know about the soapbars...

4. otw

otw New Member

Thanks for that bwotw. Very informative. I've now bought this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The seller claims it's a " '67 Reissue." I'm not really fussed if it's this or not, because it clearly appears to be outwardly the same as my friend's, but out of interest, and assuming there is such a thing as a 67 Reissue, what's the difference between it and a regular SG Junior?