Please help me find an lefty SG Standard!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by alexg, Aug 16, 2019.

1. alexg

alexg Member

Hi all

I’ve owned a few SG’s in the past but now I’m SGless it’s also a right pain in the arse trying to find a decent, non overpriced left handed SG standard.

So I appeal to you all..
    Do you know of anyone selling one ?
    My dream guitar is a 66-71 sg standard but I’m open to ANYTHING!
    I know this should be in the classifieds but it never gets looked at there.

Thanks for your help,

Alex

2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

If you're looking for new, Sam Ash has Standard, Juniors, Specials, and a '61 VOS... All Lefty, in srock right now.

CME had a Vintage SG ('71 I think) yesterday, and usually always has a couple other new and used in stock. I've also seen the Guitar Center online list a few in the used section.

Search "Gibson SG" and sift through them.. you'll see them.

Also, the 'Bay always has some lefties for sale

Good luck! :smile:

3. alexg

alexg Member

Thanks but I’m in London which makes things worse

4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Anderton's? They seem to be pretty well stocked. I'm just going by the Chappers and the Captain YouTube videos I've seen. I would think they're priced competitively though compared to any of the other big box stores.

5. alexg

alexg Member

Thanks but they never have left Handers in stock they want you to order .
    I’ve been in literally every guitar shop website .

My hope is that someone on here will want to sell!

6. DaveSG

DaveSG New Member

alexg,

I'm so much like you it is uncanny - you might be my long lost brother haha.

I am left-handed, and like you my favorite SG is the 67-71 large guard vibrola-equipped SG Standards. I grew up loving this guitar from listening to AC/DC, I thought they looked awesome, and then a high school friend picked one up for $900 (this was in 1998 or so).

Around that time in the vintage guitar market, these guitars were anywhere from $1500-$3000. I remember seeing a real road-worn '67 for $1700 and a pristine '69 going for $2000.

I looked for one for almost 20 years, especially that I could afford. In that time, of sometimes intense looking, sometimes casual looking, and sometimes not looking at all, I think I've seen about 3 true left-handed Gibson SG Standards from that era. The one I remember having a price on it was around $4000 and that was over 10 years ago.

I don't know what your budget is, but see that guitar in my avatar? That is my '71 SG Standard. After looking for years, this one popped up and due to the headstock break and a crude break where the entire electronics cavity was broken off and hastily glued back together, it was about 1/3 the cost of a normal one. But...it had T-tops, it had the original finish, it wasn't modified for a stoptail. It checked all the right boxes. Oh, and I made a nut out of a Tusq blank and the non-original bridge allows me to intonate it fine - it is set up for lefty.

I have several Gibson SG standards and only one of them is a true lefty. Once I got past that hangup, let me tell you...and entire world of guitars opened up to me. I will tell you from experience...do not let a lack of lefties stop you. We'll almost never get to actually try out a guitar before we buy. I'm sure you've been there, done that. I know I have and I've had to sell more than one guitar that I've purchased sight unseen due to the lefty issue and didn't bond with it. If I see an SG that I love, and then play it and know that I can't put this guitar down...I will buy it and convert it to lefty. Easy peasy.

My only exception to this rule is that if I ever find my lefty 2003 SG Standard again for sale, I'm buying it back, period. I'll know it from a sanding indentation in the top :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    alexg likes this.
  7. Mick

Mick Member

Hi Alex, theres quite a few nice lefty SG Standards over on Reverb.com at the moment...Although the CITES laws are making it hard for sellers to ship from the US to Europe...and then theres the Import Tax duties...But there is a few nice lefty SG Standards available from European sellers too
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=left handed gibson sg&ships_to=XX&sort=price|desc

2009 Ebony SG Standard on Reverb from a French seller
    https://reverb.com/item/27478365-gibson-sg-standard-lefty-ebony-2009

2004 Cherry SG Standard with upgrades from a Uk seller
    https://reverb.com/item/26385296-gi...eritage-cherry-with-bare-knuckle-pickups-case

Hendrix Guitars in Italy have some very nice vintage lefty SG's, mostly 70's in Walnut finishes, very pricey though
    http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Hxleftha.htm

1995 Cherry SG Standard
    http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Lh222.htm

Left handed 66-71 Standards are VERY rare, I'm always keeping an eye on Ebay and Reverb, haven't seen one in ages.. I was lucky to find a 1970 all original Red SG Standard with Vibrola from a UK seller about a year ago, cost me €3,500 though! It would benefit from a refret, and the neck is noticeably chunkier than any other SG's I've owned, I don't mind it and have gotten use to it but I'm sure some people with smaller hands would struggle with it, any other SG Standards I've owned over the years like a '74, '82, '90, '94, '98, '03, '04, '13 all have slimmer, more player friendly necks. Best to try before you buy but its never that easy for us southpaws is it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    alexg likes this.
  8. John Vasco

John Vasco Active Member

Alex,

You've got a message.