Please help with this SG copy.

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by tom jones, Apr 18, 2018.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

to add to the mystery...G310s have very tight and small control cavities and this one doesnt. It looks like that of my Gibson Faded 2002.

2. sazista

sazista Active Member

to add to the mystery...G310s have very tight and small control cavities and this one doesnt. It looks like that of my Gibson Faded 2002.

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

how much was it in trade?

4. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

Most, if not all, MIJ LPs and SGs have the brass nut style truss rod. Could be a MIJ SG, I doubt it though, the headstock looks original to me!

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The headstock is convincing, but Gibson never made an SG with the neck set in that deep.

Where did you hear that? G-310s have normal sized cavities:

g310.PNG

An SG Faded has the neck meet the body at the 22nd fret like most SGs.

vonserke likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

What everyone fails to realize is that the crown inlay on the headstock alone is the most obvious flag that this one is a fake.

I am very familiar with the SG Special from all eras. The SG Specials from the 1960’s and SG Classics had bound necks with dots. Those models never had a crown inlay on the headstock. All other SG Specials have unbound necks.

The crown inlay is typical of SG Standards which have bound necks with trapezoids except for most of the 1970’s which had small blocks.

It wasn’t until 2014 that the crown appeared as a decal on the headstock of SG Specials with its temporary name change to the SGJ in 2013. The SGJ had unbound neck with dots. The crown is also found as decal on the 2017 SG Special which has unbound neck with 1970’s small blocks.

I have never seen a legit SG Special having a bound neck with dots and crown inlay on headstock.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

True! I'm not an expert by any means, but I've seen countless fake Gibsons and none looked that close to the real thing! That headstock looks very convincing and old, which makes me think it is either a 'strange' original Gibson (60's neck in a 70's body maybe?) or a MIJ copy! If it's a copy, the guy that rebadged it, did a great job!

dub-setter likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

left: 2003 SG Special Faded
    right: SG Special 2016 T.

[​IMG]

Look at the cavity of the copy and note the bump out on the top left side between the pot and selector switch. Those bump outs do not exist on the early 2000’s SG Special Faded. Note on the 2016, there are bump outs between each pot, output jack, and toggle switch where the copy only has a single bump out on the top left side. In addition, on the copy, the width of the countersunk edging where the cover plate sits is inconsistent and too wide. The left side of the cavity on the copy is also longer and more vertical compared to the 2003.

The 1963 and 1969 SG Specials that I had in the past and all the SG Specials from the 1960's that I have seen in person had bound necks with dots and NO crown inlay on headstock.

Look at how far away the 12th fret dots are from the binding on the copy. The 2004 SG Classic below has the dots closer to the binding and on the 1960's model the dots are even closer to the binding. The 12th fret dots being so close to the binding is a distinct feature from that era that always catches my eye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  9. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

mhh

never saw a g310 with a bounded neck
    though.

im with @vonserke with this one...

10. cerebral gasket

It's not a MIJ copy.
    Japanese copies do not have Gibson logos on the headstock. They have their own brand with their own logos. Even the lawsuit guitars of the 70's had their own logos.
    I am very familiar with every detail on SG Specials and this one is not legit.

This thread has become like playing chess with a pigeon.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

yap...

i m not that much an expert on gibby specials...

i was only wondering about
    that binding, though it cannot be a g 310 either.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

May I have permission use this in the future? :D:D:D

cerebral gasket likes this.
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

G-310s are bolt-on, very easily changed. No guitar that was built as a set neck would be set in that deep. I already explained this...