Please read if you have a 1977 custom

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by rfiori9, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rfiori9

rfiori9 Active Member

I have a 1977 white custom and I am reading Tony Bacons SG book. He lists in the book that there were 276 customs made in 1977. I was curious and emailed him if he could break that down to what finish by numbers and here is what he emailed me:

Hello Rich
    My source does give numbers for the different finishes, but I decided to give overall totals in the book for space reasons. Anyway, for 1977, the Gibson shipping totals show 136 “SGC W” (SG Custom walnut); 36 "SGC C" (cherry); 0 "SGC Blk" (black); 76 “SGC Wh” (white); and 31 “SGC Wh w/B” (white with Bigsby).

So I thought it would be cool if we could document some numbers here as to who owns what 77 custom

I'll go first
    I have a white custom. 1 of 76

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Haha, that’s excellent. Kind of neat when you think of limited edition models, like GOTW, where they made 200 or 400 of one model. Those models can be so rare, at least oin the sense if you wanted to buy say a SG classic custom (or insert name of an limited model) you could look for years and not see one. Then think of numbers half that from 40 plus years ago. Crazy

Goes to show you how rare some year, models, and colors are. I have always liked the idea of having rarer models.

I have 3 SG’s.
    A 2007 SG classic custom (400 made)
    Angus young VOS Custom shop (200 made)
    And a 2001 61 re-issue (infinite made)

On top of finding a guitr that plays amazing, which makes it special enough, knowing there are so few really makes you treasure it even more.

Post some photos for us!

3. rfiori9

rfiori9 Active Member

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Nice SG... :thumb:

Pretty cool that Mr Tony Bacon had that detailed info and also responded to you. I also have his SG book, and thoroughly enjoy it.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

Mines a 78, has he numbers for that year?

6. rfiori9

rfiori9 Active Member

217 customs were produced in 1978. I don't have a breakdown of how many per finish