Please Recommend Pickups for a Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 4406cuda, Dec 3, 2014.

1. 4406cuda

4406cuda Member

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I tried lowering the pickup, which did lower the volume, but also thinner. It still did not have the creamy, woody, smooth articulate tone that I prefer.

I have many electric guitars that sound excellent through my signal chain and amp.

• 1976 Les Paul - Stock Humbuckers
    • 1977 Les Paul - Stock Humbuckers
    • 1978 Westbury - Stock Dimarzio Super Distortions
    • 1985 G&L Rampage - Stock Pickup
    • 1993 Fender Tele - Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue - Bridge, Five-Two Neck
    • 2004 Fender Start - Seymour Duncan - Pearly Gates Bridge, Alnico Pro - Middle, '59 Bridge
    None of these guitars require me to eq out any harshness or change my settings to make them sound acceptable. The Westbury with the Dimarzio has a louder output than the other guitars in the list.

In all fairness, if I was playing a more aggressive style of music and all the guitars I was using were medium to hot output, The 498T pickup would be a better fit.

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. heffus

heffus Member

Check out Zhangbucker for one of his A2 bridge pickups. I have the Brownbucker in my SG standard and love it. Pickups and tone are so subjective though. I hated the 498T and a JB in the same guitar. Too damn harsh. Don't care much for the SD 59 either.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

JCarno likes this.
  4. 4406cuda

4406cuda Member

Order Placed

Thanks for everyones help.

I ordered the Seth Lovers in Nickel today and a wiring kit from WD Music with 500K CTS POTS and.022 orange Caps.

I will research how to wire it correctly, modern wiring, and what type of solder to use.

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY recommend 60/40 rosin core...the water based solder sucks to work with...
    Just FYI, the bridge and tailpiece are chrome on your SG, you will see a mismatch in hardware..

6. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

YES I definitely do recommend pickups for your Gibson SG...they just don't sound the same without them :thumb:....but when I change pickups, and I don't usually in SG's....but I generally like Duncans the best. My favorite is jazz/jb.

7. rhythman

rhythman New Member

I have a 2010 SG Standard that came with the 490R/498T pups. Put in a set of Antiquities and never looked back. These pups in this guitar sound INCREDIBLE! The neck is classic warm and clear PAF. I love the bridge pup. Fat and agressive. The middle position gets those awesome spanky/funky tones. A myriad of tones from these pups. I highly recommend them.

8. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

If you want clarity and definition, certainly less smear than a PAF, T-tops are the way to go. Manlius makes a set of T-tops which are perfect in an SG. I love BKP and Lollars too. The imperial set is a great wide PAF type tone. Much more range than the antiquities I had and it was sweet in the top end, better mid quality, and the bass never flubbed out even playing through a 120 watt Orange OR120.

9. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

The BKP T-Top copy is called the Riff Raff.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This thread is from Dec. 2014....... Pretty sure it's all sorted 2+ years later in January 2017...... Just sayin'

11. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

Dang, at least I was the second necrobump and not the first. Then I'd feel real silly.

12. John Barber

John Barber New Member

Any body out there that's tried the Mojo Tone 59 low out put pickups in there SG? I have a 2007 SG CS, and its my first SG after playing LP's for 20 yrs. in a JCM 800 4010, and the pickups are not to my liking, but I'm going to try setting the pu's a little lower to see if the sound warms up. I really don't know the specs on this guitar, still trying to find them, but I had to go to a lighter guitar and always wanted a SG.

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can' t go wrong wih Seymour Duncan.

I didn' t play SD Seth Lover, I have a set of SD '59 SH-1 on my SG Special, they are great humbuckers, they sound vintage, bluesy.

14. Utrecht74

Utrecht74 Member

15. Rick330man

Rick330man New Member

I agree with this.

I've got a cherry wine red finish SG Standard, a plum purple SG Special in which I swapped the 490R/T with a set of P94s, a cherry wine red SG Special with the 490R/T set, and two of the 3 mini-humbucker 1998 SG Deluxes. Each has its own strengths.

The 57 classics sound fine in the SGs line, and I've played them in SG Specials, SG customs and SG standards. Personally, I think the stock 490R/T set in the Special and the 490/498 set in the Standard sound excellent. You have to learn to tweak your controls, but I did not hear anything coming out of my stock Special and my stock Standard that an SG with 57 classics did any better. I just had to make some tone control tweaks to get to essentially the same or similar tones.

If you're going to experiment, do it with a Special. But know your instrument well before you make the pickup swap. The 490T gives a bit more midrange growl than does the 57 classic. I like having that on tap and knowing that I can back off the tone a little and so close to a 57 classic tone in the bridge that no one would notice the difference. The opposite isn't true: you can't get as much of that 490T midrange growl with the 57 classic. The Standard gives you a tremendous bit of range to cover just about anything an SG does.

I wouldn't mess with the Standard.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 5:22 PM
  16. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member