Please tell me about the 61 Reissue Faded Models

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SGstd83, Aug 6, 2018.

1. SGstd83

SGstd83 New Member

Hi guys,

here in Germany someone is selling his mint condition SG 61 Reissue Worn/Faded w/case for 850€.

I've heard that the common 61RI is a better guitar than the Standard SG from Gibson's Standard line-up. Something between the standard-line and Custom-Shop... Is this also true for the 61RI Worn models?

I already own a LP Traditional und just sold my Std. SG from 2016 because of deadspots and because I'm not into it's 490/498 pickups, it's body-shaping and the finish (Ebony isn't my favourite finish on SGs...).

Greets,
    René

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I would agree with most of those comments. The 61 RI is regarded as a step above the standard. Personally, I have found many of them on par with custom shops, just varying in specification from models like the historic reissues. Of course each guitar is different

The faded models are the same as the other 61 RI. Only vary in finish

3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I wouldn't agree that the 61' reissue is a step above the Standard by any means. Exactly what makes it a step above? The shorter neck joint subject to more neck flex? The ABR1 with posts that can become loose in stripped body holes and also tilt? A step up for purists and fans of archaic features that were later improved upon by designers maybe.

Dale, SG standard and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Personally I have never heard about 61 RI Worn/Faded model. I have thought they are all like standard, coated with several layers of thin and gloss nitrocelluloselaquer. If a 61 RI is worn/faded it is by worn by the user. Maybe I have missed a model?

5. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

Ich habe auch kein 61 RI Worn / Faded Modell gehört. Je nach Zustand können 850€ ein toller Preis sein. Sie sind eine Verbesserung gegenüber dem Standardmodell.

6. pancake81

I won’t disagree with your comments, as we are all untitled to our opinions. I believe the faded 61 RI came with a Nashville bridge, not ABR1, and 57 Classics as apples to 490’s.

All that said, the neck profile is a slim taper 60’s as appose to the wider D shape found on most standards. Wider head stock, if your into that sort of thing.

The fit and finish on the 61’s I have seen have been excellent. It’s one the best USA models Gibson ever produced. Standards are great too.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. SGstd83

SGstd83 New Member

I already checked and saw it on Gibson's HP. It's a Model from 2012.

Oh yes: ABR bridge on those 61s...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG '61 Reissue Satin
    These are available in Satin Ebony, Worn Brown, Worn Cherry.

If these are finished in the same manner as the SG Specials, then the only one that is a Satin finish is the ebony. The cherry and brown would be Faded models.

Faded (Worn) = open grain.
    Satin and Gloss = filled grain.

Pictured below is an example of the different finishes on SG Specials that I have.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  9. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Hell yeah

10. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I own one of those, the exact model that der Herr mentions.

[​IMG]

It is essentially the same model as any '61 Reissue SG, but with slight differences:

- Faded nitro finish, which means unfilled, stained. low cost and fast wearing-out, giving you a played-in Lappearance/feel quite soon (some people love that, some others hate).

- The fretboard is made of baked maple, not rosewood (Gibson was having some issues wit rosewood supplies back then, and used laminated rosewood in some models, and Baked Maple in others, which are good solutions but purists will frown).

- Nashville bridge (which is actually a historic improvement over the ABR-1, but again: purists will whine).

It's a low cost '61RI. But essentially, it's a '61RI, you get the mahogany body, the classic wide headstock, the PAF like '57s and the pure SG tone.

If you want an SG for playing it, buy it.

If you want a collectible-to-be or just a "cute" SG with everything period-correct, don't.

I myself don't like mine anywhere near how I praise my Fenders, but I needed something that had classic humbuckers on it, and the Specials aren't period-correct either, so I bought this mutt. SGs are like bastard sons, they're meant to be mutts, anyway.

It's a hell of a player, and suits my needs on stage.

[​IMG]

11. Dale

Dale Active Member

The 14 Standard is largely 61 speced. No nibs, smaller headstock, and nashville.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    SG standard likes this.
  12. Crossroads

Crossroads Active Member

I have the 2012 worn cherry '61 reissue. (see my user pic).

I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Woah, somebody hit a nerve there!

The early '60s neck joint is really not much weaker despite common belief. There is less bulk around the heel, but it also has a significantly wider tenon that extends further into the body as well. And IDK who actually has issues with neck flexing, but they need to work on their playing style... fine instruments are delicate. You wouldn't throw around a Stradivarius. People act like Gibson's headstocks and necks practically break themselves off.

As far as what makes it a step up; mostly aesthetics like deeper beveling, more accurate control positioning and Nickel plated hardware, but also practical things like '57 Classic pickups and the Slim Taper neck.

arcticsg likes this.
  14. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Nah... just the HeadStocks! :p j/k.... :D:D:D

PermissionToLand and rotorhead like this.
  15. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

No one is addressing the important thing, though: neck dive.

Which is worse, the faded, the satin or the glossy???

arcticsg and Dale like this.
  16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Gloss adds 2 milligrams to the headstock! Who could possibly play such a thing?

rotorhead and arcticsg like this.
  17. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The wider headstock adds more mass for neck dive, but with the neck being so thin and flat on the backside, it balances everything out eliminating any neck dive.

Then again it depends what universe you are from and which laws of physics are being followed in said universe.

Daniel.S, pancake81 and arcticsg like this.
  18. pancake81

That’s hilarious.

I find the neck five conversations amusing. I mean, sure there is a little neck dive if you use a smooth strap AND don’t hold the neck of your guitar. But that’s pretty avoidable. I always picture the singers who grab the mic stand while they sing and take both hands off the guitar.

But honesty, I have three SG’s with three descent straps set up with strap locks. I put them on and do t think about it.

JCarno, flognoth and cerebral gasket like this.
  19. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Mine has Gibson Deluxe plastic tulips, not all metal tuners. It hardly neckdives at all.

Daniel.S likes this.
  20. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

BTW since these faded ones were a limited run, produced in 2012, I think it's cool to own one and leave it all stock.

Even lesser costing Gibsons get that "rare" mojo after a couple of decades.

I was browsing another guitar forum the other day and there was this guy proudly posting a pic of a 1979 "The Paul", a model that Gibson issued back in the late 70s as a real entry level low cost guitar that today gets praised among Gibson enthusiasts...

Figure that a 1961 reissue that was only produced for about a year in a nearly naked finish but has all the bling and PAF like 57 humbuckers will be an interesting guitar to own in a couple of decades too.

PermissionToLand likes this.