Please tell me if the pickups have been changed in my '61 Reissue (pictures included)?...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by santosdotcalm, Apr 13, 2018.

1. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

I own a 2007 Gibson '61 Reissue that I really like. Because I bought it used, I've always wondered if the pickups were stock. I believe in that guitar, the stock pickups should be '57 Classics. Is there anyone here that can tell by looking at the control cavity if this is what I have, or have the pickups or any controls been modified? Thanks for the help...

2. Notabot

Notabot Member

Looks like original or a doggone good luthier went to a lot of trouble to make it look really really nice. BTW, the only way to see the pickup model is to pull them out of the guitar. They may or may not have the Gibson sticker on the back. That is where the part number lives. If there isn't any sticker then you guess by DC resistance measurements and markings on on the pup itself.

3. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Thanks for the input. You're right, the quality does look pretty good. To me, there doesn't seem to be signs of re-soldering or anything like that. Also, the rubber tubing over the braided wiring from the pickups indicates care. I'm hoping all is original then. I don't want to go through the trouble of pulling out the pickups, though I know that would tell me for sure if the pickups are stock. It's my understanding that the '57 Classics have the "Patent Applied For" stickers at the bottom...

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

It doesnt matter what the specs say, Gibson puts whatever is on the bench in em’

5. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Those are the stock pots, caps and wiring, 100%.

Next time you restring your guitar, check out the back of the pickups. It literally only takes removing the four screws at the plastic mounting rings and looking underneath.

6. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Thanks for the input...

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG! Your Gibson wiring looks authentic to me. Here's a closeup
    of the stock wiring of my 2007 SG special:
    Fig 07 Original Wiring.jpg
    Note that the person who did the wiring signed the pot, and put the date on.

Here's a Gibson page showing what the pickup looks like above and below.

http://store.gibson.com/products/57-classic-pickup/

When you next change strings, and you unscrew the plastic pickup ring, the pickup will come
    out with some slack in the wiring allowing a little movement, enough to turn it over.

You might think ahead and lay a cotton bandana on the top of the guitar, so you can lay the
    pickup on top of it without scratching the finish. Also, the bridge and tailpiece will come off
    because they are only held on by pressure of the strings. If you take them off carefully,
    you won't disturb the guitar's setup. But you might want to use your 6" steel ruler to measure
    the height of the bridge screws (in mm) so you can make sure it's the same when you put it
    back together.

What, you don't have a 6" steel ruler in your SG case? You should. That's one of the uses for
    it. It's also used to measure the string height at the 12th fret, and the distance from string to
    pickup pole pieces.

Never_Ready and rotorhead like this.
  8. santosdotcalm

santosdotcalm New Member

Thanks for the in-depth answer and the link. It's much appreciated...

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

+1 on the 6" rule.