Polishing a '69 SG ...

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Hola Vibrola, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

any suggestions as to what's best to use, and any definite don't uses, for types of polishes for a '69, that has considerable checking? Would a '69 have a nitrocellulose finish? I have on hand a clean-and-polish spray, cleanish-white, UV block, non silicone, for finished/sealed wood. Thanks for any input.

2. fernieite

fernieite Member

Congrats on owning a 69 sg! Yes, it would be a nitro finish.

I personally never polish my guitars, I just clean them. With a vintage guitar, I first use naphtha and /or a little bit of Virtuoso guitar cleaner to clean away years of gunk.

After that, I just wipe down with a damp micro fiber rag occasionally and polish with a dry cotton one...

DJGranite and Hola Vibrola like this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Same advice. I would never try to polish my '67 special. Once it has aged and checked, I wouldn't do more than a wipe down with a dry cloth. Old nitro does some weird stuff. If you try naphtha or anything else along those lines, test a very small patch somewhere that won't cause you distress if it goes south. I say leave it like it is. Some guys pay a lot of money to make a new guitar look like yours does naturally.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  4. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

thanks for the reply; just to clarify this is a guitar that I've been getting up and running for a friend, that sat in a closet for probably 30 years or so. So yeah I wouldn't want anything to go wrong in trying to spruce it up, as it's pretty darned good as is, i.e. no gunk etc. So I think I'll just go with the damp/dry cloths and call it good!

5. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

That is a very good point lol, although other than the considerable checking this one's not nearly as distressed as some of the ones done artificially. So yes just a cloth wipe-down and Ill leave it at that. Thanks for weighing in!

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Slightly damp rag, micro fiber cloth, elbow grease. Boom, done.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Can you post pictures? It will be better to have an advice.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  8. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Thank you papagayo, there are a few pics posted in the Vintage SG forum, under 'Newbie here - "69 SG hardware question". Also here's one of the backside, I couldn't get the light to hit it well enough to show the extensive zebra-like checking lines.

IMG_2024-3.JPG

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very clean SG !

10. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Be careful buffing it too hard as it’ll leave micro scratches everywhere. :)

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  11. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

As far as a don't-use, I would not use Glade, Pledge, Formby's or any common household furniture polish on that guitar.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I find Fender's Guitar Cleaner is like a mild wax, it can remove some of the hazing and swirls but isn't like buffing the heck out of it either. Also does a great job removing gunk.