Poll: 3 Les Pauls - whatcha reckon?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bettyboo, Mar 20, 2017.

?

Which of these three would you buy?

1. New Gibson USA 2014 LPJ = US$710

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. New Epiphone joe bonamassa les paul goldtop = US$690

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. New Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom PRO = US$435

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I feel the need for a Les Paul. I have found three locally which are all good guitars and at decent prices. Which one would you go for?

1) New Gibson USA 2014 LPJ = US$710.

[​IMG]

2) New Epiphone joe bonamassa les paul goldtop = US$690

[​IMG]

New Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom PRO = US$435

[​IMG]

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

All nice guitars but I'd go with the Gibson for one simple but important reason... value. The epiphone will be worth significantly less than you pay for it the moment you purchase it. The Gibson on the other hand... holds its value much better. This isn't just me saying it... proven over decades that gibsons are amazing for holding value compared to other guitars. Any time someone asks my opinion about new guitars... I say go Gibson whenever possible. Now if you are willing to go used... a used epiphone les paul standard can be a great buy for exact same reason new ones are not good buys. Someone pays 400+ for a new epiphone les paul and when it comes time to sell... it is not worth nearly as much. My son picked up a like new used epiphone les paul standard about a year ago for $250 and that included hard sided case! Great buy for the money but the original owner really took a big hit when selling it.

Bettyboo likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Well......musically speaking............I have an LPJ and an Epi LP Custom and I have to give the edge to the Gibson......but.......a pair of 57s or 490/498pickups would flip that pretty well. I actually prefer the darker Epi pickups for certain genres.

Bettyboo likes this.
  4. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I think the LPJ. As people before have said they will hold their value better, and if you're worried about other people's opinions, the cork-sniffers will be happy it says Gibson on the headstock :thumb:

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Bettyboo

I see what you're saying oldrockfan, and I a leaning towards the Gibson - it also has a nitro finish (light...) which I really want. & Gibsons are Gibsons which Epis are not. But, a really good Epi might be equal to a lower Gibson (probably not many, but maybe this JB Epi is just a special guitar?).

But, the Joe Bonamassa is supposed to be very high quality with Gibson Burstbuckers (possible my favourite pups) and a really nice case, so I'm hoping this will keep it's value better than most Epis. In fact, a quick browse of ebay shows a few second hand ones which are all more expensive.

Biddlin, the Joe Bonamassa comes with Gibson 2 and 3 Burstbuckers which are amazing pickups. The Epi Custom has the Epi Probuckers, as you know, but by the tie I've spent US$200 changing the pickups then I might as well get the Epi Bonamassa which gets the hardcase and great pups.

Maybe, it's out of the Bonamassa Goldtop and the Gibson.

Thanks, Logan. Yeah the Gibson LPJ is supposed to be very nice.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Biddlin likes this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Gibson. I can't add much to what has already been said as regarding why, but in the long run I honestly believe it's the much better instrument and the better value.

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. Bettyboo

Hmmm, I can see how this is going... :)

Funnily enough, I watched this video yesterday:

They expected the Epi to win easily, but they both much preferred the Gibson even though the Epi had Gibson USA pickups in it...

gball likes this.
  8. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Does this mean you actually tried these in person?

My interest between the 3 you listed is the JB Goldtop. It seems more "LP" than the other two, regardless if says Gibson or Epi. If long term value is concerned, then the Gibson wins. What is it about the "LP" that makes you want one? Is it possible that a sub-$1000 LP might lead you to a $2000-plus LP down the road?

BTW... nice to see you posting here again... :cheers:

Bettyboo likes this.
  9. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

It would be between the Gibson and the Bonamassa for me too, too close to call - glad it's not my decision! Sorry :(

Bettyboo likes this.
  10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Their comments in the video pretty much echo my own experience.

Bettyboo and oldrockfan like this.
  11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Hey! Long time, no see, Bettyboo!

It would be between the Gibson and the Bonamassa for me too. I'd probably end up with the Gibson, mostly just because it is a Gibson, but the Burstbuckers are good pups. I'm not a huge fan of the 498T, but pickups can be swapped.

Bettyboo likes this.
  12. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

I had an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro for a while that was an excellent instrument. I liked it more than many of the contemporary LPJs and Future models I played. I also thought it played and sounded better than a friend's Gibson LP Custom. That said, however, the LP Custom was pretty worn out, had a rather questionable bridge pickup swap, and was not set up to my liking... And to get that kind of quality, I had to play a whole wall of Epiphones until I happened across one that was nearly flawless. Most of the Gibsons were, at the least, very solid axes (save for one LPJ I tried that was absolute trash).

Sight unseen, I'd trust the Gibson before I went for the Epiphone. That said, if there is a whole wall of Epis to try and only a single Gibson, I'd encourage you to try them all. You might be surprised with what you find.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

None, get a SG instead.

AngelDeVille, Raiyn, Bettyboo and 2 others like this.
  14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I can't say much more than has been said and I can't clearly say why, but every time I buy an Epiphone no matter
    how nice it looks I never bond with it...I have a beautiful 1960 V3 50th Anniversary right now that I was dying to have
    and now I'm selling it. It must be a stigma in my mind or something...I don't know, but I'd buy the Gibson.

Bettyboo likes this.
  15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm with Dellboy... I vote "none of the above"
    and save your money till you find an SG that you bond with.

But if you must have a Les Paul, go where they sell them
    and play as many as they'll let you. Don't buy something online,
    unplayed, on the basis of the advice of strangers. Play all of
    them at one store, and then go to another store and play every
    one there.

If you see an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute, pay extra
    attention to that one. I'm not a Les Paul guy, but if I ever bought
    one, I'd seriously consider the Epi Les Paul Tribute. It's already got
    most of the mods we'd add to an Epi.

The other one I'd look at is a used Gibson Les Paul Faded special.
    Those are were discontinued, but they appear used from time to time.
    They have Burstbucker l and ll I believe, and the faded finish is one
    of my faves. I'd be seriously tempted if I saw one used for $500.

Play them through your own amp, or one just like yours if possible.
    Otherwise, how would you know? Use your own strap, and bring
    your own picks and capo, and your own snark. Play them all, and
    buy the one that comes alive in your hands... that's more important
    than any other concern IMHO.

koaguilds, ivan H, syscokid and 2 others like this.
  16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I find the SG to be the most comfortable guitar to play because of the contours and upper fret access. Have owned several other guitars in the past and have sold them all.
    The SG is all I play these days.

Delboy and Bettyboo like this.
  17. Turrican

Turrican New Member

Gibson USA but I'm partial to things still made in the USA or England maybe just sentimental. I do have an Orange amp that I thought was made in England and turns out to be Chinese made that sounds incredible to my ears though so what the hell do I know? I probably never would have bought it if I would have thought a little harder about what "PRC" stood for but its my every day amp now.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Bettyboo likes this.
  18. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

No question the Gibson. I don't see any pictures awarding any of the Epiphones the 2014 Buzzbee TV Geartimes Top Gear award!!!
    I mean really. Surely there is no higher praise? :facepalm::rofl:

If it was out of the 3 pictured I'd go the Epi Custom Pro on looks as I'm not a big fan of goldtops. But if I was making a purchasing choice I would only do it after I'd played all three and who knows which I'd pick?

Bettyboo likes this.
  19. Bettyboo

Thank you everyone, good advice.

Checked out those guitars, just not blown away by any of them... It's a bit weird playingwise as I'getting a righthanded geetar even though I play lefthanded; I just had too much gear, missus complaining a lot, so I sold everything except my Ibanez SR600 bass. But, I really want a LP style guitar which are hard to sell in Korea (especially the lefthanded ones) and none of me mates or missus play lefthanded, so I decided to start playing righthanded guitar again as I did years ago - this way, the missus can play it too, me band mates can have a go, and it'll be easy to sell if I need to.

So, I kinda listened to your advice and checked out which one blew me away - none. I did see a Gibson future tribute goldtop at $800 which was close to being the one, but the tuners just had me unsure.

I like Epis, but have just never been blown away. I'd like a nice Gibson, but I like the $2000 ones a lot more than I like the $700 ones (this is the danger of checking out a Gibson shop...). But, I have found two great guitars, very much in the mold of the first post, and will keep you posted. I reckon you folks will like both of them, so whichever one I get should go down well; both are very playable, one is beautifully basic while the other is a bit flashier than the other... Keep tuned; hope to sort it out tomorrow (or, at least by the end of the week).

syscokid likes this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I agree almost completely, only my innate need to mod holds me back. Though if one didn't have that drive, it'd be a strong pick.
    Sage advice as always.

That and it doesn't weigh half a ton.....