Post your Gibson SG’s!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Daniel.S, Jul 5, 2018.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

He did play a ton of different guitars live after 1980. He said back in the 80s at one point that he still used his first SG in the studio despite being retired from live use. I wish I could find it again to see what year it was from. Flick did have a different sound from the previous albums, but there are a lot of factors in the chain that affect tone, and don't forget that they dropped Mutt Lange on Flick after he did the last three albums. Production is a big factor. That's why HTH is such a big change from Powerage but not so much from BIB.

I will go listen to FOTS back to back with those rehearsals when I get a chance.

There were also shows on the Flick tour where Angus was still using batwing SGs:

In 1981, he started using this weird SG that I suspect was a one-off reissue made by Gibson for him in that same year. It is possible that he used that for FOTS and FOTW. You can see that on Guns For Hire:

Looking through concert photos from that era, he was using it very often in that time, and it first showed up in 1981 at the Rosemont Horizon. Here's the best quality pic I could find:

rare sg.JPG

Notice the blocky Gibson logo with the closed B and O. That means it cannot be a real '60s SG. Also, the pickguard tip is too long, like the '70s and 80s SGs. But it has deep beveling and the neck set at the 22nd fret. Unless it was another Jaydee with a Gibson overlay (which I doubt), I think this is an incredibly rare one-off. Probably had Tarbacks in it if I'm right. Which would be the same as the 1980 SG anyway. So I think we can make an educated guess that FOTS is the sound of Tarbacks, probably FOTW, too.

By Who Made Who, he had the lightning bolt SG and that quickly became his #1, which had T-Tops. I think most of the following albums were recorded with that. Maybe not TRE... I don't know. I wish Fil (SoloDallas) would dive into the later albums more. I should shoot him an email and see what he knows.

As for Mal, he did use that White Falcon on BIB and FTATR. But that still had Filtertrons anyway. The only time he really changed his tone much was on FOTW. He was using almost as much gain as Angus on that album. I would kill to have a cleaned up, properly produced and mastered copy of that album.

I agree with most of what you said, but TRE sounds very modern to me. Much like FOTW, having a lot of gain. I loved Ballbreaker for the return to clean, dry vintage tones. The closest to BIB, in my opinion. And of course, Phil's drums just sound immaculate on BB. And Mal's chunky rhythms... I could go on for days, I fucking love the sound on that album!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

3. benboo

benboo New Member

mine, Les Paul Custom/SG Custom Shop, This is a special order in Inverness Green Sparkle. Made in 2010, bought in Paris last summer, mint conditions. 3 Classic 57.
    Les Paul Custom SG.jpg

4. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Great choices on that special order.. !! Congrats..

5. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I would agree that it may not be a jaydee.. very curious about that one.. check the nut as well.. not his bone nut preference either.. AY did not like to change much but did collect so many over time I think he began to enjoy playing the variety..

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. DoomDale

DoomDale New Member

My first Gibson, I had an Epi many years ago, and loved everything about it. Now the SG is my go to guitar.

This one is a 2018 Aged Cherry ‘61 reissue, with vibrola. Easily the finest instrument I’ve ever played. Action is like butter.

Attached Files:

7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

8. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Glad to meet another ACDC freak like me.. my first show was FOTS, then FOTW during college and followed up by BallBreaker and Stiff Upper Lip.. sadly the latest tour did not stop in my neck of the woods but I was close to drive to Detroit to see that show but work schedule did not allow.. Back in Black seems to be the turning point in gain for a while.. as FTATR has tons of gain.. I don't prefer it but the songs are killer.. a great follow to BnB which gave us the cannons.. I had seen quotes from Mal that as Angus used a bit more gain and boost that he also played with pickups and boost "to keep up".. from my experience on my Mal custom guitar with TVJ "Power'Trons" as recommended by Seth Jones.. .. on low gain settings they jangle just like FT classics.. but boost or higher gain and they remind me of a Burstbucker 1.. listening again to FTATR there is very little separation between Angus and Mal on that album.. I prefer my Mal guitar played with low gain and jangle.. MY 1976 SG standard is getting the new JESCAR 45100 frets leveled and polished..(will end up at 0.040 after leveling) with new Kluson harmonica and bone nut.. cant wait to get her back.. also putting a set of 6070's classic T-tops in from Vineham.. Looking to nail the sound on Powerage and LTBR.. Powerage .. Angus sound is very heavy on speaker breakup.. must be well worn greenbacks on that one...

9. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I see a creepy skull staring at me in the reflection... :ohno:

Beautiful SG!

ruster1 and arcticsg like this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

happy accident?

11. PermissionToLand

Wow, I wish I had been around to catch them at their peak back then. I only got to see them in 2008 for the Black Ice tour. Great shows, but I was disappointed by the unchanging setlist (which of course, we later learned was due to Malcolm's illness).

Don't forget LTBR! That was quite an outlier in the Bon era with crazy high gain. I believe Fil said they must have overloaded the signals. I kind of like it and dislike it at the same time. It was a cool experiment but I will always prefer the tone of Powerage and HTH as far as Bon albums go.

Honestly, I have to disagree on BIB. I feel like HTH had more gain. For example, Night Prowler especially has some high gain to sustain those long drawn out bends in the intro solo. BIB was surprisingly clean, and IDK if I could even tell a difference from that to FTATR, guitar-wise. The only difference I can hear is Phil's drums being much more prominent with that snappy snare. He almost sounds like Slade on that album!

Angus' Schaffer Vega wireless system had a built-in boost that he used live and in the studio (mostly for solos) from 1977 until some time in the '80s. He mostly kept his pickups stock, but his techs would frequently re-build them, supposedly because his sweat would corrode or demagnetize them.

Yeah, while Angus uses less gain than most people think, Malcolm used even less. His tone is practically clean, with only the drive created by sheer volume. I will go listen back to FTATR, I never focused on Mal's tone there.

According to Fil, Powerage is Marshall 2203s with Greenbacks, probably G12-65s. The introduction of a master volume allowed them to get more gain at less than deafening volumes. That has always been my target tone for AC/DC.

https://solodallas.com/acdc-in-the-studio-recording-info-insight

http://solodallas.com/high-wattage-acdcs-marshall-amps-through-the-years

http://solodallas.com/angus-youngs-marshall-amplifier-the-back-in-black-tone-project

Really interesting reads, those links. I learned much and gained a better ear for the subtle differences after reading those. I also got GAS for a 2203 thanks to those links!

There is still something missing from the equation of the Powerage tone though. It almost sounds like a light phaser at times. It's very apparent with the first notes of Down Payment Blues (my favorite track from Powerage!).

EDIT: Almost forgot, I did go back and compare FOTS with those rehearsal sessions and that is definitely a match. So I think we've worked it out with a pretty high level of certainty that FOTS is the sound of Tarbacks. And if that's true, I would say it's safe to assume the same of FOTW as well.

12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That has always been my personal opinion PTL. Honored that such another SG nut and ACDC enthusiast agrees

13. PermissionToLand

I appreciate you bringing it up! I never thought about it much. It's surprising, really, that it doesn't sound that radically different, but then again, Tarbacks had pretty much the same output as T-Tops, just a ceramic magnet instead of alnico. But still, a noticeable difference when you listen for it. Tarbacks might get a better reputation if more people knew this!

Our next mystery is what he used on WMW, BUYV and TRE! I wonder if TRE was that repainted black '65 SG he used at Donington...

musicman2242 and arcticsg like this.
  14. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Well, your absolutely right on the specifics PTL. T-Tops and Tarbacks were very similar with the exception of the magnet. I do feel that Tarbacks will become sought after one day, although they will never carry the prestige or price of earlier pick ups.

I am fairly confident that Angus used the guitar from the rehearsal tapes on the album. By that I mean, as confident as one could be with the knowledge at hand. But there is a difference on those recordings, and it’s present once again on those videos. Cool stuff. The fin thing about ACDC, is for a band that rarely changes anything, and is so under the microscope by audiophiles and hear nuts, they are such a mystery. That’s part of the fun of being an ACDC fan. This is only complexed by the fact that “The Boys” themselves don’t have the answers to our questions. In a sense, we are the only ones that care. Angus often doesn’t remember the specifics of his gear from era’s or albums, heck he doesn’t even know what year his #1 axe is! It could be solved, but he doesn’t care. Because it’s not important to them.

WMW AND BUYV... your guess is as good as mine. I would guess WMW, or possibly both are examples of Angus buying a new guitar, liking it for a while, and giving it a go. He has a knack of loving one for a long time, then cycling through many, and then finding his next love; which stays front of the stable for a while. His lightening bolt #1 and his refinished black 1967 are the two that first come to mind that have really stood the test of time. It is plausible that he relied on these for WMW and BUYV, despite the fact he monkeyed with other guitars live through this era.

Of course his classic 2 pick up custom was front and center on BUYV, but I am not sure I would read to much into the guitar on an album sleeve. But who knows

musicman2242, Girl_Rock and arcticsg like this.
  15. PermissionToLand

Yeah, Angus never really cared at all! However, I'm certain his #1 was a late 1970 or early 1971 based on the features.

He did use the lightning bolt SG extensively on the WMW tour, so I suspect that was on the album. That had T-Tops. As for BUYV, you could be on to something. He used the Custom for the Heatseeker video as well. The Custom should have T-Tops as well, and the tone on that album was kind of a throwback to BIB in some ways if you ask me. Seems plausible.

As for the black refin, despite what his tech says in that video, it is not a 1967. If that's a '67, I'm Angus Young. I would put my betting money on 1965. Which would mean it could either have PATs or T-Tops (not that there is much difference anyway). But it always sounded more like an Alinco II PAF to me. At Donington he has such a smoother tone than he ever did any other time. Also, the Alinco II Burstbuckers that came in my SG really nailed the Donington tone. Of course, nowadays he's sporting Seymour Duncans, which I am not a big fan of.

musicman2242 and arcticsg like this.
  16. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I think we have diverted this thread completely now.. but when ACDC is involved.. who cares.. Angus is the main stuard of the SG in the last 40 years not wavering.. the 1970's 2203 was a very nice amp.. even before the JCM 800 came out.. which they claim are the same circuit but I am not so sure.. Plexi is always in the mix.. or even the earlier JMP 45 and 50 watt Black Flags.. the Shaeffer Replica really does add a TON of boost and with it comes gain.. (I have the Solodallas pedal format) and since that purchase I have been in nirvana.. Have a listen to FTATR again.. Mal (also my hero since I am terrible at solos) has either a higher gain pickup or is using the master volume heads there as well. This albumn in my opinion is the highest gain of them all. For example.. my Mal custom I had made.. the Power Trons jangle quite nice.. but if I play through the Solodallas pedal.. that is enough push to lose the Gretsch jangle.. I know Mal also had some Gibson L6-s guitars at this time.. and experimented a bit.. but I am surprised how more gain drives the filtertron pups into PAF territory.. I prefer Mal in the low gain mode.. really adds more to the mix.. The filtertrons were actually patented at the SAME TIME as the original PAF from Gibson.. but Gibson beat them by a few months and got the patent.. Filtertrons are mainly smaller in bobbin size.. more narrow and more P-90 ish.. gets the jangle.. and have lower output..

17. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, every time this thread pops up under 'new posts' I click on it, hoping to see something like that lovely Inverness green Custom, but all I get is another post about ACDC... Maybe, what this forum really needs is a thread about ACDC?
    (Then I'll have somewhere to post pics of my SGs ;) )

Until then, just for anyone else who likes looking at SGs, here's the one I was playing earlier today, '16 Standard HP:
    [​IMG]

18. PermissionToLand

Yeah, I keep forgetting what this thread was supposed to be about. :rofl:

I'm jealous, the Schaffer is on my wish list as well!

I believe Mal was still using that White Falcon for FTATR, right? So I just compared it back to back with BIB and here are my impressions: Incredibly similar tones, with ever so slightly more gain on BIB. A little louder in the mix on FTATR, but I think almost everything is a little louder on FTATR anyway. Here's a good comparison test: listen to the left channel (Mal) on What Do You Do For Money and Evil Walks back to back, because both start with spacey open E and G chords. Mal has more bottom end in FTATR but it sounds more like EQ than his actual tone having changed to me. More treble, too.

One thing I can't believe I had wrong until now was that Angus does the opening verse for You Shook Me. I always wondered why Angus played it live because I thought it was Malcolm in the studio!

I also compared Angus's tones and they are more different than I expected. Here, I think there's a little more gain with FTATR, and most surprisingly, more mids. He has a much more modern sound there. Maybe even closer to FOTS than BIB? Definitely not as raw as BIB. Less treble. If I had to guess, I might lean towards Tarbacks on FTATR. But of course, the different production, mastering and possibly amp could be the explanation, too. I compared with FOTS and the difference was noticeably more gain on FOTS, but not excessive. That gain kind of masks the tone somewhat from any further comparison.

And now, of course, I want to go through every album back to back like this!

I didn't realize Filtertrons were a different size. That could indeed have an effect on that more Fender-esque jangle to them.

AFAIK, Malcolm hated that L6-S and only used it in the studio on High Voltage (the song) and as a live backup until maybe 1978 or so.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    ruster1 and arcticsg like this.
  19. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

we all need to join ACDC anonymous .. does someone know how to start a good thread on the subject? I need room here when my 76 is back from the Luthier.. lol

20. PermissionToLand

Okay, we'll stop hijacking this thread... for a price!

That's right, we're holding this thread hostage!

[​IMG]

Nah, I started a thread in General Music called the Itty Bitty Acca Dacca Committee:

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/the-itty-bitty-acca-dacca-committee.35630/

syscokid, SG standard and ruster1 like this.